Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery
Re: Gnome in the closet [Re: Noteworthy]
    #9209202 - 11/08/08 09:06 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is just a psychedelic urban legend, like the guy who took acid and thought he was a glass of orange juice.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAgingHippy
Flwr Pwr
Male User Gallery

Loc: Necropolis Flag
Re: Gnome in the closet [Re: Entropymancer]
    #9209234 - 11/08/08 09:14 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

my health teacher in middle school told us he had a friend that took acid and thought he was an orange, and starting peeling his skin off, never to be the same person again...

It kind of makes me sick to my stomach to think about it now, such impressionable minds being corrupted with propaganda. 

Sure, some people shouldn't use psychedelics, like people with a family history of mental disorders, but for the rest of us fairly stable people I just don't get why it's such a bad stigma.  I guess the only way to show an anti-psychedelic person your side would be to give them psychedelics...what a harsh cycle

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: Gnome in the closet [Re: AgingHippy]
    #9209768 - 11/08/08 11:40 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i dont think the orange juice myth is anything like this story of mistaking a small person for a gnome.

everyone here thinks its a bogus story ??

I swear that I had a mushroom trip where I met these two girls.. they seemed wikkan or something. they looked sort of like someone's magical experiment gone wrong. they had good souls, and they felt teh same about me I believe. They came in the taxi with me and my mate, and then jumped out when we got near our destination - they were going to a little celebration in the local cemetary.

at any rate, they did not seem human at the time

--------------------

InvisibleAgingHippy
Flwr Pwr
Male User Gallery

Loc: Necropolis Flag
    #9209801 - 11/08/08 11:47 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Looking at goofy people on mushrooms is amazing I agree

One time I was having a great trip, and decided it'd be a good idea to goto bandanas bbq right after with my step dad and my friend.

It was amazing, I felt like I was in fear and loathing.  Our waitress was just completely over the top asking if we wanted to know about their different sauces and the whole place was just so overdone and cheesy-feeling, but hilarious.

My stepdads face kept morphing too, but he didnt have a clue what was going on I guess becuase he was very friendly all night

anyway, at least that shows that people can still act semi-normal on mushrooms (like 2.8g tea)

*my bbq baked potato looked like the most repulsive thing ever, and I only ate a couple small bites

Edited by AgingHippy (11/08/08 11:47 PM)

OfflineF1234K
Wizard Of Tryptamines
Male

Re: Gnome in the closet [Re: AgingHippy]
    #9211662 - 11/09/08 12:42 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe psychedelics attract children with downs syndrome

--------------------
Im Not Living, Im Just Killing Time

OfflineCulpepers
Open-Minded Fugitive

Loc: Denmark Flag
Re: Gnome in the closet [Re: F1234K]
    #9212002 - 11/09/08 01:52 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

This is one of the oldest urban legends about psychedelics i know... I've heard it from numerous people with little variation.

--------------------
"Imagine all of creation as a big pond of water. Your life is a drop of water falling from the sky. During life you feel separate and then you hit the water and become one with it. There is no drop of water anymore, just the pond."
-- ChinaCat72

OfflineAngel_Above
Nobody
Male

Re: Gnome in the closet [Re: Culpepers]
    #9212524 - 11/09/08 03:41 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I hear tons of shit.. they were on shrooms or acid and found some kid and killed him because it was a gnome and they put it in their closet. The next morning they wake up and look at the "gnome" and it's some little boy and now they're in jail.

OfflineOrbital_Saucer
Other
Male

Re: Gnome in the closet [Re: Angel_Above]
    #9213209 - 11/09/08 05:44 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

LOL

I've heard this one, too. It's a gooder.

Offlinesk8cracka
Lost Rabbit
 User Gallery

Loc: Humboldt County
Re: Gnome in the closet [Re: F1234K]
    #9213562 - 11/09/08 06:43 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

F1234K said:
Maybe psychedelics attract children with downs syndrome

oh.  I didn't notice the downs syndrome part...he just said a child, nothing about downs in the case I heard.

Offlinebtm1111
Psychonaut
Male

Loc: Dallas, Tx
Re: Gnome in the closet [Re: retrospect]
    #9213568 - 11/09/08 06:44 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I heard quite a few versions of this story back in middle school

InvisibleTakemeaway
Mushroom Hunter.

Loc: Ancient Eucalyptus Forest
Re: Gnome in the closet [Re: sk8cracka]
    #9213627 - 11/09/08 06:51 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

:shemalegremlin:
whoever picks up kids when their high on drugs is a in the closet gnome

--------------------

InvisibleSet
candy colored clown
 User Gallery

Loc: right near da beach Flag
Re: Gnome in the closet [Re: Your Destination]
    #9213969 - 11/09/08 07:43 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Your Destination said:
I've heard a million variations of this story. The ones I hear are usually finding the gnome in the forest though.

Yea, the variation I heard was afoaf finding the "gnome" in the forest.

That story is really old.

--------------------
    classic LOVELINE

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: Gnome in the closet [Re: Set]
    #9214015 - 11/09/08 07:49 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

what about the story 'i know of a dude who found the answer to everything during a trip and now he doesnt care about anything at all'. ive heard that more times than this gnome story, and I would say it is not a fake story.

the more and more people I hear saying how its an old story, without anyone giving even a hint of reason to think it is not true (unlike the orange juice story, which frankly never happens to anyone, people never think they are inanimate objects whilst on psychedelics), makes me think moreso that this is a true occurance that happens to some men when on psychedelics - they bump into a really strange looking person and mistake it for some other type of humanoid

--------------------

InvisibleSet
candy colored clown
 User Gallery

Loc: right near da beach Flag
    #9214450 - 11/09/08 08:52 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Sure, it could have happened at some point in time, but since so many people claim it happened to one of their "friends" it tends to discredit the story altogether.  Not to mention the there are so many slight variations of basically the same story.  I still think it's an urban legend that spread word-of-mouth.

When I said it was old I meant I heard it about 4 years ago.

--------------------
    classic LOVELINE

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: Gnome in the closet [Re: btm1111]
    #9214483 - 11/09/08 08:58 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

OfflineAnotherDimension
Wanderer in the Land of the Lost

Loc: USA
    #9214531 - 11/09/08 09:08 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Noteworthy said:
what about the story 'i know of a dude who found the answer to everything during a trip and now he doesnt care about anything at all'. ive heard that more times than this gnome story, and I would say it is not a fake story.

This sounds like conservative propaganda.  Of course people inclined to that belief would repeat this.  What evidence do you have of its legitimacy?

Quote:

Noteworthy said:
the more and more people I hear saying how its an old story, without anyone giving even a hint of reason to think it is not true (unlike the orange juice story, which frankly never happens to anyone, people never think they are inanimate objects whilst on psychedelics), makes me think moreso that this is a true occurance that happens to some men when on psychedelics - they bump into a really strange looking person and mistake it for some other type of humanoid

Exactly.  Proof is not needed as to why something isn't true.  The burden of proof lies upon the person trying to assert something.

As for the "orange juice" thing it has its roots in several places.  One was the fictional story "The Outsiders" which was written by a teenager (who had never taken drugs) and is a part of lots of people's grade school curriculum.  I believe there are other roots as well, but never underestimate the power of myth.

You know why rain comes more often in November :smirk:

--------------------
Another Dimension
---------------------------
"Come, and trip it as ye go,
On the light fantastick toe."

OfflineAngel_Above
Nobody
Male

Re: Gnome in the closet [Re: AnotherDimension]
    #9214562 - 11/09/08 09:13 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I'm assuming it's a fake story until I find proof.

That doesn't mean I do everything this way, but if you're going to say "I know a guy who thinks he's a container of OJ and he can't sit down anymore" I want to see if you can actually get this guy on the phone so I can talk to him... to which they reply: "Well, I don't know him... but my friend does!" and so the legend begins... again.

My sister told me the gnome story, someone else told me the same story but they tied the "gnome" up to he wouldn't fight back and they found him alive in the cloest. OTher versions the gnome dies.

Based on this... I'm assuming it's all fake until there's documented evidence of it happening.

OfflineAnotherDimension
Wanderer in the Land of the Lost

Loc: USA
Re: Gnome in the closet [Re: Angel_Above]
    #9214585 - 11/09/08 09:16 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Let's bring back the Superman story.  Doesn't everyone who take LSD think they can fly?  So they jump off the roof of a building and die.

:rolleyes: :nonono: :sad:

--------------------
Another Dimension
---------------------------
"Come, and trip it as ye go,
On the light fantastick toe."

OfflineAngel_Above
Nobody
Male

#9214651 - 11/09/08 09:28 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

AnotherDimension said:
Let's bring back the Superman story.  Doesn't everyone who take LSD think they can fly?  So they jump off the roof of a building and die.

:rolleyes: :nonono: :sad:

"Dude I know someone who that happened to!"

:rotfl:

InvisibleEntropymancer
 User Gallery
    #9214968 - 11/09/08 10:14 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

AnotherDimension said:
Exactly.  Proof is not needed as to why something isn't true.  The burden of proof lies upon the person trying to assert something.

That doesn't quite work out. It's virtually impossible to prove that something has never happened. It is possible to prove that something has happened.

To prove that it never happened, you would need to interview everyone past and present who has ever taken psychedelics and find out if they were the original subject of the story. Only once everyone who has ever tripped has been interviewed could one confidently assert that the story is not based on someone's real experience. Obviously this is an impossible task.

Therefor the burden of proof lies on the one who claims that the event actually has happened. If it happened, it should be possible to trace the story back to the person who was originally the subject.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale