Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

The Effects of Expectations on Tripping
    #9199687 - 11/07/08 12:22 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

When I first tripped on mushrooms, I didn't really know what I was getting into.  The trip was...strange and a bit incomprehensible. 

I was very intrigued and started to read up on shrooms nonstop, including tons of trip reports.  I became interested in an aspect of tripping that many of these reports mentioned; instead of simply seeing some cool visuals and feeling funny, there were lots of reports of mystical zen-like states of "ego death", or becoming / merging with / talking to "God".

I realized the nickname Magic Mushrooms wasn't given for nothing.

After a few months, mushrooms once again fell into my lap.  This trip was extremely different from my first.  There was an almost Holy feeling present, and for 5 hours I was thrown into a mystical state the likes of which I had never experienced before, or even thought possible.
I had quite a few more trips involving these same magical feelings in the following months.

After a while I felt like I had gotten all I could out of these mushroom visits with God, but I definitely didn't want to give up tripping!
The fungus found me once more, and I couldn't pass them up...but this time I was just in it for a good time.  I was done searching for enlightenment through shrooms for the time being.

WOW! What a difference that made! The magical feelings remained, but they were more like background noise than the main event this time.  I was overjoyed to find that I could focus purely on the visuals and twisted mindset without getting too caught up in mysticism.

If I can experience such varied trips from the same drug, it makes me wonder how completely foreign other people's trips might be from my own, considering we all go into every experience with vastly different conditioning. :eek:

Psychedelic drugs are tools.
When you pick up a hammer, you can use it to build a tree house, or use it to randomly hammer nails into the floor for the hell of it, or you could even smash up your nose if you aren't careful; the hammer doesn't do much on it's own without you, and what you do with the hammer depends on your conceptions of what a hammer should be used for.

That's not to say that there is any one correct way to use a hammer (or shrooms), but I would hope that you wouldn't smash up your face...

It makes the rest of us who use hammers responsibly look bad. :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePlasmid
Absent
Male

Re: The Effects of Expectations on Tripping [Re: Sleepwalker]
    #9199704 - 11/07/08 12:25 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

When a hammer is all you have you see the nail.

OfflineSirSmokesAlot
Business First
 User Gallery

Loc: Kentucky
Re: The Effects of Expectations on Tripping [Re: Plasmid]
    #9199954 - 11/07/08 01:32 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Agreed. Great post.

--------------------
Skellyton
The Comprehensive Truth
Ignore all things posted above. Any thing I said, or said that I did is a complete and total lie.

OfflineCrypticMike
A translation

Loc: Yes
Re: The Effects of Expectations on Tripping [Re: SirSmokesAlot]
    #9200694 - 11/07/08 08:21 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Expectations are undoubtedly a big part of a psychedelic trip.

--------------------
:chinchilla:A welped sagun:chinchilla:

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#9201242 - 11/07/08 10:16 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Oweyervishice said:
After a while I felt like I had gotten all I could out of these mushroom visits with God, but I definitely didn't want to give up tripping!
The fungus found me once more, and I couldn't pass them up...but this time I was just in it for a good time.  I was done searching for enlightenment through shrooms for the time being.

Out of curiosity, why do you use mushrooms?

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Invisibleshponglecybin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The Effects of Expectations on Tripping [Re: deCypher]
    #9201280 - 11/07/08 10:25 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i like your post,i think folk expect to much from a trip sometimes without using it in a constructive way,and something i learned a while back is that if psychedelics are used for the wrong reasons or with no respect then the good times are short lived.

OfflineFloydRose
Weilii eyed
Male

Loc: US, Georgia
Re: The Effects of Expectations on Tripping [Re: shponglecybin]
    #9201762 - 11/07/08 12:21 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8563771#8563771

That's an experience I had with acid one time that made it rather clear to me that one's expectations have a staggering effect on the trip.

I've eaten a DAMN lot of acid in my day, my highest dose being somehwere between 15 and 20, but when I ate those 3 it was the hardest I've ever tripped in my life, and the cid, according to everyone else, wasn't even as good as the Hofmann's I usually eat.

Crazy.

--------------------
“It is true that my discovery of LSD was a chance discovery, but it was the outcome of planned experiments and these experiments took place in the framework of systematic pharmaceutical, chemical research. It could better be described as serendipity.”
-Albert Hofmann

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

Re: The Effects of Expectations on Tripping [Re: FloydRose]
    #9202544 - 11/07/08 02:48 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The Cypher said:
Quote:

Oweyervishice said:

Out of curiosity, why do you use mushrooms?

Well, these days my trips tend to be a combo of the magical feelings and just relaxing into the sensations and having a good time.  Tripping reminds me to enjoy the sensory, physical part of life to the fullest, while keeping in mind that there is, IMO, a transcendental part of life that can't necessarily be rationally explained...nor does it need to be.

Basically I trip for the same reasons I meditate, though they are very different experiences for the most part.

@FloydRose:
Interesting report!
I've had similar experiences while tripping where something important came up that I had to take care of, and so I temporarily become sober in my thought process.  It can be hard to break free of the psychedelic whirlpool sometimes, but it sounds like it happened to you pretty naturally.
Have you tripped again since?

OfflineThe Centre
I am
Male User Gallery

#9203739 - 11/07/08 06:06 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

OMG Finally someone else who understands what life is all about...

OfflineAnotherDimension
Wanderer in the Land of the Lost

Loc: USA
Re: The Effects of Expectations on Tripping [Re: The Centre]
    #9203811 - 11/07/08 06:24 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Mushrooms should be used for their nutritional value.

--------------------
Another Dimension
---------------------------
"Come, and trip it as ye go,
On the light fantastick toe."

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Loc: off the wall
    #9204341 - 11/07/08 08:17 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Oweyervishice said:
After a while I felt like I had gotten all I could out of these mushroom visits with God,

after tripping 150+ times on shrooms (lots of high doses), they still teach me much.  do you think you can get all you can out of mushrooms after you've seemingly reached "the peak", or do you think there is always more to learn from them?

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Loc: off the wall
    #9204375 - 11/07/08 08:22 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Oweyervishice said:
That's not to say that there is any one correct way to use a hammer (or shrooms), but I would hope that you wouldn't smash up your face...

It makes the rest of us who use hammers responsibly look bad. :wink:

do you think there is no valuable use in taking heroic doses and smashing your face to pieces?

Invisiblemeatman
Goner
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Underwater Lake
Re: The Effects of Expectations on Tripping [Re: deranger]
    #9204627 - 11/07/08 09:11 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

prior to my feelings towards mushrooms at present, I used to just eat them to enjoy interesting movies and music. I also did it to have some fun with friends. I've always wanted a full blown trip to experience full-on hallucinations and just really be blown away, so I would always take more than the last time. I gradually worked up from 2g to 7g without ever experiencing those hallucinations. So, I thought to myself I was never going to, no matter how much I took. Boy, was I wrong.

It must have been the potency of this last batch because I've taken 7g before with no trouble. My vision was distorted, I would become wobbly and be generally very introspective. But this last time, I ate em up and put in a movie. An hour later, I lost grip on reality. It hit me hard and fast and I didn't know what was happening. Turns out my ego was being smashed. With that big hammer. And I didn't see it coming. I ran around the house trying to figure out who I was, why, etc etc before laying on the ground trying to piece things back together. It was terrifying. But as I got ahold of myself, I began thinking about everything in my life, who I am, what I'm doing... etc etc.

But back to the main point. I didn't have that expectation going into it. And really I didn't want that to happen. But it did and I am grateful for it. It makes me think of how stupid I was to abuse something so sacred. And how much there is that mushrooms can teach you. I'd like to go back to that same level someday and I think going through that last trip is going to make it a more rewarding experience.

I like your analogy, btw. Good post!

--------------------
"I don't do drugs. I am drugs." -Dali
Everything I post is a complete fabrication made for your entertainment.

OfflineThe Centre
I am
Male User Gallery

#9205868 - 11/08/08 05:00 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

^Wow that is amazing. That is exactly what I want at the moment, I think it is the key to understanding myself.

OfflineThe Centre
I am
Male User Gallery

Re: The Effects of Expectations on Tripping [Re: AnotherDimension]
    #9205870 - 11/08/08 05:01 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

AnotherDimension said:

Yea, especially there two main vitamins, psylocybin and psylocin.

Offlinemaysrome
It is a disgusting sandwich.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Alabama, USA
    #9205904 - 11/08/08 05:30 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The Centre said:
Quote:

AnotherDimension said:

Yea, especially there two main vitamins, psylocybin and psylocin.

:grin:

--------------------
Es muss sein?!

OfflineBen18
Male

Re: The Effects of Expectations on Tripping [Re: maysrome]
    #9205951 - 11/08/08 06:43 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Good post  :congrats:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies