Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMinstrel
Man of Science
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hogtown
This forum being used as a "Tech Support"
    #9201824 - 11/07/08 12:35 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

It just doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the forum, with the description being:

Quote:

We live in an age of amazing scientific discoveries and technological achievements. Come here to discuss computers, electronics and the efforts of humans to understand and manipulate the world around them.

...and there seem to be a lot of thread of the nature:  my comput0rz is no werk help plz!

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....

Maybe there's a need for a sub-forum within Sci&Tech, like there's Drug Policy as a sub-forum in POL.
New Sub-Forum?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (11/07/08 12:31 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: This forum being used as a "Tech Support" [Re: Minstrel]
    #9204015 - 11/07/08 07:01 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think it's a big enough problem to worry about.  S&T doesn't get that much traffic on balance anyway and it's not like you miss important threads being on the first page because of these problems.  Plus, once you put the in a sub forum, people that were coming to browse new science stories and just happened to realize they could help someone will probably not take the time to click up into the sub-forum.

Plus, that would mean some of these topics stay of the first page even longer and they just need to go away, mkay.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: This forum being used as a "Tech Support" [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #9204040 - 11/07/08 07:06 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yea, tech support is this forums main function as I see it.  The threads about black holes, perpetual energy, evolution, 911 science and cars that run on water are just fluff.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: This forum being used as a "Tech Support" [Re: DieCommie]
    #9204880 - 11/07/08 10:14 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

:shake:

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: This forum being used as a "Tech Support" [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9206235 - 11/08/08 09:18 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Speaking tech support, I was wondering if someone could help me out (seriously).

My Symantec antivirus keeps finding a

"backdoor.tidserv" virus, which it can't seem to remove.

Googling leads me to the symantec support page here:
http://www.symantec.com/en/ph/enterprise/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2008-091809-0911-99&tabid=3

But wfollowing the instructions, I can't locate theregistry keys that need to be deleted.  They simply aren't there.

(e.g.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TDSS\"build" = "standart""

Any ideas?

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: This forum being used as a "Tech Support" [Re: badchad]
    #9207475 - 11/08/08 02:08 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Any ideas?

Ditch symantec.  It has been crap since the late 90s.

Otherwise, youll have to count on someone else for specific advice.

OfflineChemy
Jesus is Lord
Loc: A Church
    #9207746 - 11/08/08 03:18 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
Speaking tech support, I was wondering if someone could help me out (seriously).

http://www.symantec.com/en/ph/enterprise/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2008-091809-0911-99&tabid=3

But wfollowing the instructions, I can't locate theregistry keys that need to be deleted.  They simply aren't there.

Any ideas?

Maybe you can't see the registry entries because of rootkit behavior in backdoor.tidserv

Try microsoft rootkit revealer:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897445.aspx

And regdelnull to delete the registry entries:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897448.aspx

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

Get help, help is free and available 24/7/365.

God bless you all and I hope you receive the help you need to turn away from your lives of sin.

Mushrooms and drugs make you gay, you can reverse this homosexual condition with rehab, get help! Stop being gay!

Edited by Chemy (11/08/08 03:27 PM)

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Re: This forum being used as a "Tech Support" [Re: DieCommie]
    #9207993 - 11/08/08 04:25 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Ditch symantec.  It has been crap since the late 90s.

Their 2009 products are actually pretty good. I'm running NAV 2009 on my 3 year old laptop and there's no perceptible performance hit. Independent tests bear this out, it's the fastest on-demand scanner and is also notable for its accuracy and low rate of false positives. Definitely an improvement over past versions.

Anyway sorry for hijacking the hijack. :tongue:

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: This forum being used as a "Tech Support" [Re: Chemy]
    #9208130 - 11/08/08 04:52 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Chemy said:

Maybe you can't see the registry entries because of rootkit behavior in backdoor.tidserv

Try microsoft rootkit revealer:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897445.aspx

And regdelnull to delete the registry entries:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897448.aspx

Looks like you're right.  I found the keys using the first program.

How do I use the regdelnull though?  I download the program and when I open it, I get what looks like a brief window with a DOS prompt and nothing else.....

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

OfflineChemy
Jesus is Lord
Loc: A Church
    #9208181 - 11/08/08 05:02 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

C:regdelnull <path> [-s]

At the dos prompt type regdelnull then the path of the registry entry to delete, and the ap is interactive so you will be asked yes or no to delete that entry.

In your case type regdelnull HKLM -s

Then make sure to only delete the registry entries listed by symantec!

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

Get help, help is free and available 24/7/365.

God bless you all and I hope you receive the help you need to turn away from your lives of sin.

Mushrooms and drugs make you gay, you can reverse this homosexual condition with rehab, get help! Stop being gay!

Edited by Chemy (11/08/08 05:14 PM)

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: This forum being used as a "Tech Support" [Re: Chemy]
    #9208704 - 11/08/08 06:55 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

meh, for some reason the DOS window would pop up then immdiately close.

Anyone ve any recommendations or good antivirs programs?  Obviously my Norton "autoprotect" failed me.

--------------------

Offlineumbrellamaker
Intergalactic Sociopath

Loc: Houston TX
    #9209392 - 11/08/08 09:59 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:

Any ideas?

Many years ago I was looking for help too.

I will pass on the good advice given to me, to you here today.

Time to let go of windows.

Ubuntu 8.1 is a Linux version operating system very similar to windows, but without spy-ware, viruses, or many security risks of windows.

There are a couple very rare exceptions to that statement, but your computer will run faster in general, and Internet due to windows not reserving 20% of your bandwidth and other processor crap.

And best of all, it is free, and any program for windows has an even greater equivalent in Linux, and all of the software is free as well.

Instead of a few Microsoft guys patching holes in shitty proprietary software, you have a network of intelligent people all around the globe making your operating system, and software work better each day.

It may seem foreign at first, but you will learn it in a week or less.

I have been using Ubuntu for 3 years now.  And although I do not know much Linux command promt shit, any question I ever have for fix-it type stuff, I just Google the question, and there are tons of people out there with the same problem, and the simple commands to enter into the terminal (dos prompt like thing that runs everything behind the gui(graphical user interface) curtain)

Installation of Ubuntu is now far easier than a windows install, and you can download and burn the entire operating system for free, and that will never change.  Add a program called "FireStarter", and you will not only be invisible, but also be able to see, trace, and identify users that are trying to hack your system online.  Nobody has ever successfully hacked Ubuntu on me while online.  Try it, you will love it, and then when you do, you can advise friends to try it too.

Also there are some even newer distros that have a basic operating system and web browsing capabilities that can fit on a usb key ring mem card, check the Linux thread here for more info.  95% of all spyware, and hackers only exists on a Microsoft Windows system, and as the shitty OS gets bigger, they all want you to buy a faster computer to keep up. 

I say go faster with a smaller computer, and let the open-source code be manipulated and perfected by millions of computer geeks all over the planet that do it not for money, but for the fun of watching something free and openly engineered by all interested earthlings with computer skills surpass the once great invention of Mr. Bill Gates.

:gethigh:

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: This forum being used as a "Tech Support" [Re: umbrellamaker]
    #9211123 - 11/09/08 10:50 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I'm so close to doing this. My system is just totally fucked and I need to do a wipe and re-install.

But I don't know where my WinXP restore CD is.  And I'm sick of fucking with spyware and shit anyway...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: This forum being used as a "Tech Support" [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #9211163 - 11/09/08 11:00 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I'd love to take a shot at it, except the world revolves around Windows. I couldn't do any actual work if I switched to anything Linux based.

I rely too much on MS office (in a professial sense).  Everyone else at the office uses MS word and files are constantly sent back and forth.

--------------------

InvisibleaDoS
freedom lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: land of the free
Re: This forum being used as a "Tech Support" [Re: Minstrel]
    #9211596 - 11/09/08 12:32 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

eh, I think its fine the way it is. Its not getting too much traffic.

--------------------
"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution - then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise." - Aldous Huxley
:drooling:GIVE ME OPIATES OR GIVE ME DEATH:drooling:

Offlineumbrellamaker
Intergalactic Sociopath

Loc: Houston TX
Re: This forum being used as a "Tech Support" [Re: aDoS]
    #9211877 - 11/09/08 01:23 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Ubuntu has an equivalent of MS office.

It is free, and reads, and writes Ms office stuff.

No problem there.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#9212230 - 11/09/08 02:45 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

badchad: try booting into safemode, then delete the reg key.

Invisiblevonhumboldt
Stranger
    #9212791 - 11/09/08 04:28 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
I'd love to take a shot at it, except the world revolves around Windows. I couldn't do any actual work if I switched to anything Linux based.

I rely too much on MS office (in a professial sense).  Everyone else at the office uses MS word and files are constantly sent back and forth.

run Windows/Office within virtualbox or vmware.

http://www.sandaru1.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/virtualbox.png

there is little need to use windows unless you're gaming - in which case you can just dual-boot.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #9219608 - 11/10/08 05:58 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Although I can see the humor in it, I do think it was wrong on your part to derail this thread for your question.  You could have easily started your own thread.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleMinstrel
Man of Science
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hogtown
Re: This forum being used as a "Tech Support" [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #9219694 - 11/10/08 06:09 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Meh, the mob has spoken.  Majority says keep the way it is.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order