Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAgentSmith
Stranger
Do I Understand the Basics of Bulk?
    #9200950 - 11/07/08 09:25 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I want to know if my basic understanding of growing bulk with grains or WBS is correct?

You hydrate your grains or wbs.  You inoculate in jars or bags and of course you must be sterile.  Once inoculation is complete you empty the substrate into a long flat container of some sort, like Tupperware or a throw away aluminum baking pan.  Wait a few days for the mycelium networks to re-establish.  Do I need to cover the container to avoid contamination after I dump the substrate into it and I'm waiting for the myc network to re-establish?  Then cover with a casing layer and initiate fruiting with a terrarium and light source?

What do I look for on the WBS to make sure it doesn't have any preservatives that will stop the myc growth?

I'm just trying to make sure Ive got the basic idea right before I waste my organic rye berries.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenenl
Strangest

Re: Do I Understand the Basics of Bulk? [Re: AgentSmith]
    #9200981 - 11/07/08 09:33 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I might be missing something, but:

:pasturize (not sterilize) the bulk substrate - 140-180F for 90 min or more
:myc will eat aluminum - it's not detrimental to the myc, but is to the pan - use a garbage bag as a liner
:cover the container while it's colonizing and add a few tyvec or polyfill filled holes for gas exchange
:noc grains and let them fully colonize, then mix with your bulk I use 1:4 spawn(grain) to bulk sub
:casing layer is optional with most if not all bulk substrates.
:once the bulk is colonized put in fruiting conditions - light, humidity, fae, temp, etc
:container size can be just about anything from tupperware like you mentioned to 5 gal buckets and just about anything else that will hold the substrate
:bulk depth should be 4-6 inches

search on bulk tek and you'll get more details than I outlined here...

good luck

--------------------
hehe

OfflineAgentSmith
Stranger
Re: Do I Understand the Basics of Bulk? [Re: nenl]
    #9201059 - 11/07/08 09:47 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you.  I did PF teck successfully.  The below part I have in quotes is where most bulk tek articles lose me.  I've read about using poo and straw, but I don't understand exactly how.  When and how do I mix in the poo or straw?  Again, I don't understand exactly how the poo/straw step works.  I can see that telling me to use a 1 to 4 ratio, does that mean I can purchase chicken poo pellets at my local Wormsway and one fourth of my final substrate should be that or some other poo mixture?  I need help with this part.

"..., then mix with your bulk I use 1:4 spawn(grain) to bulk sub"

Offlinenenl
Strangest

Re: Do I Understand the Basics of Bulk? [Re: AgentSmith]
    #9201080 - 11/07/08 09:51 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

1 part spawn to 4 parts bulk. You can go more or less. It certainly doesn't need to be exact. I mix it all together, but some put a layer of bulk, layer of spawn and another layer of bulk. I use a sterile metal spoon to do the mixing.

EDIT - want to make sure you know that you need to have your spawn (grains) fully colonized before mixing with bulk.

I believe RR has a clip about grains at www.mushroomvideos.com

--------------------
hehe

Edited by nenl (11/07/08 10:02 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck