Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

pasteurization
    #912816 - 09/27/02 04:33 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i was wondering if someone was gunna pressure sterilize horse poo, what would be the best psi level to do this . i recently pc some poo at 10-12 psi for 2 hrs(which prolly was excess) . this made the poo get run really really slow. my hypothesis is that the benifital elements in the poo were destroyed .

has anyone ever tried pastuerization in this manner if so what were there results . i understand that the classic method is prolly the best but , for reasons i like to use my all american
thanx  :cool: 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: pasteurization [Re: ]
    #913059 - 09/27/02 06:20 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I don't think ya should do that cuz with pressure cooker the object is getting about 212 degrees F. With pasteurization you only wanna go like 170F from what i hear so you keep all the goodies that helpout the mycellium. Kinda like a vitamin for mycellium and without it its just pure dung with nothing important in it??

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

OfflineKilla_J
Killa

Loc: over here
    #913074 - 09/27/02 06:29 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

...And then God said "Let there be flames".

Anyway, sterilization and Pasteurization are not the same thing. Your pressure cooker will get much too hot for Pasteurizing substrate. The reason people generally don't sterilize bulk substrate is because this is an open invitation for a multitude of contaminants. Pasteurization, on the other hand, leaves some organisms alive, namely beneficial bacteria. This bacteria helps prevent outside contaminants from growing in the substrate.

According to some posts, people have had mixed success with sterilizing poo. If you absolutely want to sterilize it, I'd try going with a filter patch bag and spawn it under extremely sterile conditions.

As for the poo colonizing slowly, it probably has to do with being too wet.

--------------------
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra

Anonymous

Re: pasteurization [Re: Killa_J]
    #913185 - 09/27/02 07:08 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

thanx for the help ?
im jus wondering if you pressure sterilize if you can shorten the time to pasterization/sterilization (whatever its called) with the aid of pressure

ive had no major problems with anything using a P.C.er jus kinda slow

5" of hoss poo spawned on the sept 11th slow for lipa yai?

thanx for the feed back

OfflineKilla_J
Killa

Loc: over here
    #913276 - 09/27/02 07:46 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking.

In reply to:

im jus wondering if you pressure sterilize if you can shorten the time to pasterization/sterilization (whatever its called) with the aid of pressure

Yeah, you can definitely cut back on the amount of time. Two hours is overkill. I can't really remember offhand how long it should take poo to colonize, but that seems a little slow. As long as it's still growing and there's no stank coming off it, you should be cool.

--------------------
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra

OfflinePenguin
You can't be me I'm a Rockstar

Loc: On the Arctic ice shelf.
Re: pasteurization [Re: Killa_J]
    #919762 - 09/30/02 03:31 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Should coco coir be pasterurized? I think my conditions are clean but worry about contams getting in there while the coir is expanding...any hints?

--------------------
The fear of loss is always greater than the desire for gain

OfflineGreen_Velvet
Super Human HipHop Head
Loc: La La Land
Re: pasteurization [Re: Penguin]
    #919786 - 09/30/02 03:42 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I've never pasturized it and haven't had any problems. Just add boiled water to it and mix it up with some verm.

OfflinePenguin

Re: pasteurization [Re: Green_Velvet]
    #919789 - 09/30/02 03:43 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

CUkah! I have no verm anything else.

--------------------

OfflineGreen_Velvet
Super Human HipHop Head
Loc: La La Land
Re: pasteurization [Re: Penguin]
    #920073 - 09/30/02 05:53 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Shouldn't be a problem. I know people have had good success with straight coco coir.

OfflinePenguin

Re: pasteurization [Re: Green_Velvet]
    #920154 - 09/30/02 06:18 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Spanks

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds