Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRipper
enthusiast
Shredding Straw Made Easy * 1
    #91937 - 01/20/00 05:33 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Let me first and foremost say that shredding straw is a mess! I don't care how you do it. Straw by nature has lots of dirt and other shit in it. Now for an explanation regarding the reason for developing the tek. First of all, shredding straw with gardenning shears is not only a huge waste of time it also does a number on your hands. Secondly a tree chipper can cost around $500 and they don't really work all that well. And Third the pre-shreadded hay you can buy costs an arm and a leg.

Now lets get to the tek! First of all its gonna cost you about $115 to do this. PLEASE NOTE: Recurring cost after initial batch is like $6-$7 for a 100 lbs of shredded hay. The secret is in using a "Blower/Mulcher" I picked one up at a local home depot for $99..It was a Ryobi gas model. I urge you not to buy an electric model. The gas model gets a nice load as it is and as with all lawn equiptment, electric just plain sucks. Now pick yourself up a bail of Hay. You can use whatever type you'd like. Stamets recommends using wheat straw...This costs ~$5 a 100 lb bail here. The Blower/Mulcher has a catcher bag which keeps the dust WAY down. Now all you do is cut the straps from the bail, and begin spreading it out, use your hands or use a pitch fork(who has one of these things anyways). Now you just walk around and suck up the hay into the bag, once the bag is full(it will be quiet swollen), you empty it into waiting garbage bags. I've found that one 100 lb bail fills 6-35 Gallon trash bags.

Any Questions? =P

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Shredding Straw Made Easy [Re: Ripper]
    #91939 - 01/21/00 03:30 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I heard you don't really need to shredd straw at all, if you are going to use the resulting "cake" as-is.

InvisibleCondi1
old hand
    #91940 - 01/21/00 08:17 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Definately, please shred. Shred, shred, shred, shred..... Should go down to around 2" or so, give or take. Pasturize well. Have to go with you all the way on shredder. But, if in a pinch, have found that a good, cleaned up mulching mower will work out. You pasturize after, so seems to work out well. Though will have to contend with some unique problems with medium. Extremely interested in straw/dung mixtures. Thinking now this is but one good way to go.
Peace

Anonymous

#91941 - 01/23/00 07:13 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I shred my straw with a lawn mower. Works fine, until recently I have been getting bit by the green mold bug. Ripper, would you suggest covering the straw directly with plastic - as in laying the plastic directly on top of the straw? I used to do that in the past and then I got the green mold so I switched to allowing air space between the two -- with even worse luck. So now I am back to laying it directly onto the straw and punching holes in it for gas exchange... any hints?

thanks

InvisibleRipper
enthusiast
    #91942 - 01/23/00 07:27 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Trichoderma(AKA Green Mold) Is typically spread through human contact. Although it can become airborne. If your straw is pastuerized correctly it would kill any traces of it. You should consider a waterless hand sanitizer when innoculating your straw, and also placing a HEPA filter in the room where its colonizing. I cover my straw with plastic to build up CO2 levels for colonization.

Anonymous

#91943 - 01/27/00 11:39 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I never used to have a problem with handling the straw with clean hands. I actually break up the grain by hand and spread it around, which also wasnt a problem.

What interest me the most is that the only contamination I get in the beds is on the top layer. Upon inspection of the contaminated beds I find NO MOLDS anywhere but the top layer...... strange.

OfflineGadget
addict

#91944 - 01/27/00 12:20 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Could the contamination be comming from the plastic somehow? Perhaps wipeing/spraying it down with alchol and/or H2O2 might help....

Offlinelares
    #91945 - 01/27/00 02:34 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Hrm. Well, apparently this was a bad year for wheat, since no one in this area has any wheat straw. Even one of the biggest feed stores in this agricultural region only got 10% of what it usually gets, and that is already sold out.
What I apparently CAN get is alfalfa hay and 'coastal hay'. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I'm *very* interested in using the good Ripper's straw tek, and I would hate to put the time and the money for the mulcher into a project that isn't worth it.
I'll probably go see if I can't find some nutritional info in the Mushroom Cultivator when I get a chance.

--------------------
"The universe does a math equation that never even ever really is anywhere in it, and if it spouts out creation, we're on the tip of its tongue, and it asks us where we stand." -- Modest Mouse

Anonymous

#91946 - 01/27/00 02:35 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

If the plastic was the source than why wouldnt the bottom layer get contaminated also?

OK:

1) The bottom layer and every other layer except the top colonize fine - no contamination

2) My hands touch all of the layers

That must mean that the air space I originally provided somehow leads to a greater chance of green mold germination. Perhaps the lack of gas exchange? Maybe even way down at the bottom there is gas exchange in the form of diffusion up through the substrate... so perhaps to prevent green mold all stagnant air must be elimated?

InvisibleRipper
enthusiast
    #91947 - 01/27/00 07:09 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry to take so long to reply, Lares, Stamets suggests that any type of straw maybe used, although mushroom cultivators prefer wheat straw because of its structure. Which means Barley, Alfafa(sp?), and all those other kinds of straw(thinking about oat straw), would also work.

In response to the question regarding Trichoderma, Basically all I can tell you is that if the straw is pastuerized correctly, green mold should NOT be a problem, you may however need to spray the plastic down with some lysol and possible spray the room with lysol, low concentrations of lysol in the air have not affected my crops. BTW- your straw should not take any longer then 2 weeks to completely colonize, after this point, the fungus has alot harder time taking over the straw, and could easily become overrun with contams. So 2 weeks tops until 100% colonization of your straw. Any longer and well.. your prolly screwed.

Offlinelares
    #91948 - 01/28/00 02:31 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Well, after searching the boards for information and experiences regarding alfalfa and talking to Workman, I opted against it. Apparently it's a bit too nutritious for your typical straw/hay application. I'm opting for the coastal hay, which, by the description of the individual at the feed store, is not very leafy -- more 'stemmy'. This is the impression I get of wheat straw, so I figure it'll work nearly as well. From reading TMC on the subject, I gather that any cereal straw will work fine and has been used at some time, and he does even address alfalfa.
As soon as it warms up I'll probably start a compost pile as per a previous post, using a mixture of hay, manure, and so forth, and probably utilize alfalfa since the heat it tends to generate (or rather that is generated by the microbes working on it) during decompostion will help 'pasteurize' the middle portion.

I want to mention the high quality of Ripper's tek again. I myself and going shopping for a Ryobi mulcher/blower tomorrow...

--------------------
"The universe does a math equation that never even ever really is anywhere in it, and if it spouts out creation, we're on the tip of its tongue, and it asks us where we stand." -- Modest Mouse

Offlinelares
    #91949 - 02/06/00 07:45 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Well at this point I'm waiting to get a significant amount of grain spawn to start some hay. Just thought I'd drop a little update and bring this thread to the top again. Soon I'll be posting specific results from this experiment.

--------------------

Anonymous

#91950 - 02/06/00 07:59 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

I believe this is the unit in question. Confirm or deny :smile:

310BVr Gas Blower/Vacuum

Features...

Converts To Vacuum With Automatic Mulching Action
Up To 150 MPH Air Speed
31cc, 2 Cycle Engine
Ryobi blowers and vacuums feature powerful air velocity for fast and easy outdoor clean ups. But that's not all: Our electric units have the exclusive rounded wind tunnel design that heightens performance. And our gas blowers feature the quick start primer system that ensures fast starts in hot or cold weather.

Offlinelares
    #91951 - 02/09/00 09:56 AM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Ya I believe so. I bought the comparable Homelite brand model.

--------------------

OfflineAbaddon
Stranger
    #91952 - 02/10/00 12:52 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Good work, Ripper!
I have one of these suckers (the electric model) but it sounds like it would work great. (Why didn't I think of that?!)
Thanks again.

-Abaddon

InvisibleCondi1
old hand
    #91953 - 02/10/00 03:38 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Hey Rip and all,
Agree that proper pasturization should knock out most, if not all contams. Also agree that most infections are introduced via human interaction. My suggestion is to first shower and use freshly laundered clothes. Additional hand scrub definately a plus before handling. Thoroughly clean/disinfect room before anything. Disinfect cooling sheet and whatever sheet you are going to use as cover. Lysol a wonder tool, just use with caution concerning breathing vapour. If able, run a HEPA filter in room prior to anything.
One thing I found out, I was still running into occasional contaminations, regardless of precautions taken. Then it hit me! The damn air outlet for the furnace! Folks, you can be as sterile as could be, but if your furnace is still pumping air into your room you have a potentially large problem. This goes for AC, too. Man, there are all kinds of critters that reside in you air handling system and filters. The only way I can thing off to handle this would be to cover the outlet with a well sealed filter along the lines of the HEPA's. Shutting off that vent will help, but will not necessarily contain possible contaminants because of leakage. Thought of specialized filters for the furnace, but just wouldn't work, as air is still able to leak into the system from too many places.
Ripers mulcher/blower idea is it for straw folks, so like to see it come back up.Thanks Rip!
Peace

[This message has been edited by Condi1 (edited February 24, 2000).]

InvisibleRipper
enthusiast
    #91954 - 02/10/00 07:26 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Well I've never had much challenges with any contams in straw. Of course, I do keep the air vents in the room sealed off with duct tape, I cut a hole in the door and mounted a hepa filter on it in order to blow fresh/clean air into the room and to assist in maintaining correct temperatures. Alot of contams don't come in on the straw though, they are already there or you introduced them. Just my oppinion =P Hey guys, when are we gonna see some results of your straw shredding?

Anonymous

#91955 - 02/10/00 10:20 PM (24 years, 1 month ago)

Just a little add on from some information I got at the Telluride mushroom festival.

Okay this tip is from a dude named Mark, he runs some mushroom supply store. Can't remember the name, but they're really big and they sell spores, amanita water, etc. He's generally not well liked on the shroomery for some spore fiasco a long time ago. But he had a good idea in this category. (Ythan would probably remember the name of the place he owned)

Okay, what he did was just buy a simple lawn mower, and rig it up upside down. He then pu some sort of large trash can over the top with the bottom cut out and fit snuggly over the top of the lawn mower. There was also a slit in the side of the trash can. He would start up the lawn mower, and toss his straw in. The lawn mower would toss out the straw out of the slit in the side, and he said it made perfect sized straw pieces in his setup.

Dunno, haven't tried it, but sounds interesting. My gf restricts me from getting into straw, she says it's too visible..., whatever.

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: Shredding Straw Made Easy [Re: Anonymous]
    #349359 - 06/26/01 01:55 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

for Thor:)

Distributors of Mycological Products

http://www.MycoSupply.com

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Offlinetom
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Nope
    #350290 - 06/27/01 06:21 PM (22 years, 8 months ago)

As kissel on the jerky boys once said "you is a lazy bastard aint cha"

Straw with shears works fine for the world unless you are growing for the world.

I can't even begin to imagine where the hell you would fit all that straw. shit how many square feet is that? A room? Damn! Shears work fine and you get the straw the right length. But if you have hte oppurtunity buy straw from good ole walmart. Their shit is the perfect length, super compacted, and ready for cooking at 50 cents a mini bale. It's called "create a craft" or some shit but I think they only carry it around thanksgiving.

"Ha ha" -- Nelson

"Never trade or buy from DXMHEAD420... he ripped me off and was an ass about it too" -- Myself

--------------------
"It must be your stamps girl... cause it aint your face" -- Juvenile

"Only in America does someone order a cheese burger, large fries, and a diet Coke" -- ?

"DXMHEAD420 ripped me off and was an ass about it too" -- Myself

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder