Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
Scary new blow to PC Privacy....
    #917324 - 09/29/02 05:11 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Bit by bit, digital freedom disappears
By Nathan Cochrane
September 17 2002
Next

Another stage in Microsoft's five-year plan to control our PCs and the Internet will kick off early next year with the launch of Advanced Micro Devices' latest chip, Opteron, aimed at business uses.

The new microprocessor, which will run both existing 32-bit applications and specially recompiled 64-bit programs, will support "Palladium", a set of security and privacy features Microsoft is building into its products. Both AMD and Microsoft are members of the Trusted Computing Platform Alliance (TCPA), a cabal of 170 product makers developing a uniform approach to security and copyright protection. AMD has been working on the "trusted client" approach with Wave Systems Corp for two years.

AMD's chips will increase the security of those accessing programs and the Internet, says company marketer Patrick Moorhead. But it will also refuse to play certain content if it is not digitally signed by Microsoft or an authorised party.

For the end-to-end security features to work as envisioned by the TCPA, all parties along the network chain must build in complementary security features. Chips from the likes of AMD and Intel will only decode information, such as audio and video, if it comes with an unlocking key. Hard-drive makers will make drives that won't record certain types of information, and so on.

It is envisaged that once the TCPA system is fully functioning, our PCs would quietly report to authorities any unauthorised content on our machines. PCs and other devices would also refuse to play content, such as a music CD, tied to another device, and may be instructed by a remote server to delete information from the owner's hard drive.

advertisement

advertisement

Moorhead, AMD's vice-president of consumer advocacy, dismisses consumer complaints that the ever-tightening noose designed to stop online piracy, known as Digital Rights Management (DRM), will erode existing rights.

But he says AMD believes that these technologies should be "opt-in" - that the user should control it - not government mandates.

Hollywood and the music industry are lobbying hard to make DRM mandatory in all new devices, and existing laws here and in the US make it a crime to switch it off.

Moorhead says the end user has been "unfairly branded" as a thief, and he believes most people would buy content online if it was available but it is being held back by a skittish film and recording industry.

But Dan Bricklin, computing pioneer and co-developer of the world's first popular spreadsheet, VisiCalc, says attempts to copy-protect works are a "simple fix" to preserve out-dated business models.

Further, he wrote, using legislation to bolster technological methods would be "bad for society", hobbling technology.

"Copy protection, like poor environment and chemical instability before it for books and works of art, looks to be a major impediment to preserving our cultural heritage."

Fd :mad: 

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePiccolo
One Sad Yeti

Re: Scary new blow to PC Privacy.... [Re: Fd3000]
    #917361 - 09/29/02 05:33 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

i want to have your children

--------------------
You know, you Irish cops are perking up. That's two sound theories in one day, neither of which deal with abnormally sized men. Kind of makes me feel like Riverdancing. -Paul Smecker

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
    #917364 - 09/29/02 05:35 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I'm fucking outraged.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisiblePiccolo
One Sad Yeti

Re: Scary new blow to PC Privacy.... [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #917368 - 09/29/02 05:36 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

What?

At the thread or that i want to have his children?!

Jealously getz u nowherez doobie

--------------------
You know, you Irish cops are perking up. That's two sound theories in one day, neither of which deal with abnormally sized men. Kind of makes me feel like Riverdancing. -Paul Smecker

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: Scary new blow to PC Privacy.... [Re: Piccolo]
    #917376 - 09/29/02 05:38 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Both.

What are we going to do about this?

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace
    #917409 - 09/29/02 05:50 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Hmm almost all my computer software is bootlegged from ftps, irc, and kaza.

This will suck if i have to start really paying for shit.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

InvisiblePiccolo
One Sad Yeti

#917420 - 09/29/02 05:56 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Well we can bitch and moan about it on irc!!!!!

Wait... you've already covered that....

Well anything short of firebombin microsofts home office.... I dunno what to tell you!

--------------------

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: Scary new blow to PC Privacy.... [Re: Piccolo]
    #917462 - 09/29/02 06:10 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

I know what to tell me!

There are anti-trust laws on the books that make it illegal for a company to offer products only as a package. For example, let's say I own an aluminum plant and the New York Knicks. I can't say "well i'll sell you a pair of season tickets to the knicks but only if you buy a ton of aluminum"

You have to offer everything seperately by law. DTV just lost a lawsuit based on this because of their NFL season pass shit.

They had a deal where you could buy all the games, but couldn't just order one game a week. They had to change that.

Sooo, the government, if the people so desired, could force AMD to sell computers without this chip and then people could buy those!

Yaaaay

--------------------

Invisibledjfrog
omgws!!!1!

#917663 - 09/29/02 07:30 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Words out about the five year plan to control the country's computing infrastructure, but still no one is the wiser to Adobe's nuclear program. You're doomed I tell you, doomed.

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
    #917677 - 09/29/02 07:36 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

This is nothing new... at least not as far as our machines telling others what we have.

WinXP has so many backdoors, that there is no doubt in my mind that Microsoft has a real good idea of at least the amount of boot legged Winxp copys there are.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

OfflineGroovy Grant
 User Gallery
Loc: TX
    #917706 - 09/29/02 07:51 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

looks like i better start buying stock in macintosh (apple) becuase it looks like a lot of angry mircosoft users are going to run the other way.
-grant

OfflineLSAuser
Full figuredwomen rule!
Loc: Florida
Re: Scary new blow to PC Privacy.... [Re: Groovy Grant]
    #917783 - 09/29/02 08:37 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

well for us that dont pirate, it wont affect us much. sure itll inconvience the honest people, but itll stop piracy and with no piracy=cheaper software.

InvisibleLordSenate Happy Birthday!
One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

Loc: First Circle of Hell
Re: Scary new blow to PC Privacy.... [Re: LSAuser]
    #917795 - 09/29/02 08:42 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah but if they can do that, they can find out other illegal activitys your doing im sure.

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Re: Scary new blow to PC Privacy.... [Re: LordSenate]
    #917809 - 09/29/02 08:52 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

They can block anything they want.

And it's illegal. With the right PR campaign this could be quelled pretty easily.

--------------------

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
Re: Scary new blow to PC Privacy.... [Re: LSAuser]
    #917889 - 09/29/02 09:44 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

RE: "but itll stop piracy and with no piracy=cheaper software. "

lol- They will NEVER stop software piracy!! All this will do is grab the curiosty of other hackers and they will crack it. Probley as simply as a mod-chip or some software.

I site the recent millions dollor(s) audio cd copy protection sceme that was spent on copy protecting audio cds... Turns out that a magic marker used on the outer circle of the cds cracks it.

This stuff dont phase me... ' just makes the hackers more money playing both sides of the game.... after all who better to crack the protection than the programers (aka: hackers) that write it? And believe, after they do this the word on how to defeat it WILL leak out.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Edited by Jammer (09/30/02 07:34 PM)

OfflineFlusH
Random person on Internet

Loc: Bizzaro World
    #918550 - 09/30/02 01:31 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

It is disappointing, but if something is made by man, it will be broken by man.  I do believe that once this is in effect that the cracks and patches will be free flowing :wink:  This is another reason to boycott microsoft.... 

--------------------

OfflineDialToneZ
Epistathai

Loc: The s0uth
    #918708 - 09/30/02 03:31 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

bah. BAH! BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!  :mad:

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
Re: Scary new blow to PC Privacy.... [Re: Jammer]
    #919127 - 09/30/02 09:21 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

It's the same shit that happend a few years ago with the DeCSS software that was developed by a kid in Norway(or one of them other scandinavian countries that looks like a penis) so that he could watch DVD's on his linux terminal. Of course U.S. authorities went after him big time. Any sites that hosted the DeCSS code were also shut down. I had about half a dozen of my own get shutdown . Same old shit, different day. Big corperations are in the pockets of politicians. Government goes and does the corperations evil bidding. If these new "security" measures are installed, there will be a back door, and somebody will find it. It wouldn't supprise me if Microsoft went after the cracker who does.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #919142 - 09/30/02 09:27 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

Let's blow up Microsoft

--------------------

OfflineAbudiwa
CompleteApparition.
Male

Loc: here and there...
    #919143 - 09/30/02 09:28 AM (21 years, 5 months ago)

whoops!

didn't even see this.

this goes to security!  :laugh:

--------------------
*user out of date*

the only pms pants gets:
<pants> "WTF UR PIKTUR IS SO STIPID WTF FUCK U"

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom