Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIcAnFeeLthErain
How ya like your Chang's Sauce?
Male

Loc: Bright Side of the Road
? about dehydrators
    #9187231 - 11/05/08 03:48 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I'm considering purchasing a food dehydrator, since it is such a recommended method of drying/preserving from members like veda_sticks.  My question is how well will the fruits tolerate the heat produced by these units?  I have read a tek that suggests removing the heating element from these type models and replacing with a tub of desiccant, but how does this make the food dehydrator any more efficient than a regular old box fan propped up parallel to the floor w/ the shrooms arranged on top?  Please let me know how you all feel about dehydrator drying methods before i go hunting for one, and if I can expect solid (no bruising) results from using a box fan as mentioned above.

Thanks!

--------------------
"We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness" -Thich Nhat Hanh

Take your sweet time, everything is a once in a life time experience.

Cakes?  No Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: ? about dehydrators [Re: IcAnFeeLthErain]
    #9187355 - 11/05/08 05:43 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Ignore those old teks. The most experienced cultivators use dehydrators at upto 140f with no loss in potency.

Those teks have been written by inexperienced cultivators who mistaken variation in potency from multispore grows as being caused by heat. Prolonged exposed to air will cause more potency loss than drying quickly and storing in air tight containers.

The actives break down at much higher temps.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: ? about dehydrators [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9187360 - 11/05/08 05:48 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I believe mine reaches up to 120f or maybe less and I never get a loss in potency, after they're cracker dry all you need to do is put them in a bag and vacuum seal them, throw them in the freezer and you have a bag of mushrooms to last you a year :wink:

--------------------

OfflineGojira45
Armchair Explorer

Loc: Travelling Without Moving
Re: ? about dehydrators [Re: HybridprX]
    #9187543 - 11/05/08 07:46 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Stick with veda_sticks for the win.

Hands on experience - I dry at 140F and have no potency loss. If you feel your mushrooms are weak, it's not the drying... and as I've said before, be careful labeling them as weak - your tolerance could be off, stomach has food, etc.

--------------------
"The theft of the seals and the possibility of a Planet X really point to everything we are doing as humans.

It was all set up. Were doing the same thing Hitler did with artifacts and knowledge about hollow earth.

Everthing points to hollow earth and that ultimitaly points to planet X." 

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
Re: ? about dehydrators [Re: Gojira45]
    #9187565 - 11/05/08 08:00 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i have a nesco so iam able to dry mine at lower temps, around 105 i think.  anyways, alot of my friens make tea with their mushrooms and that involves boiling water and there is no sign of loss of potency.  myth busted!  get a food dehydrator.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: ? about dehydrators [Re: blood4blood]
    #9187578 - 11/05/08 08:04 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

talking about busting myths, id love to see that on mythbusters Lol. i miss that programme.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineBoris
Viking Warrior, of Valour
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX. Flag
    #9187694 - 11/05/08 08:50 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

IcAnFeeLthErain said:
Please let me know how you all feel about dehydrator drying methods before i go hunting for one, and if I can expect solid (no bruising) results from using a box fan as mentioned above.

Some species of psilocybin mushrooms bruise blue when handled or damaged due to the oxidization of phenolic compounds, not the oxidization of psilocybin... This is not a definitive method of identification or determining a mushroom's potency.

Psilocybin is rapidly dephosphorylated in the body to psilocin which then acts as a partial agonist at the serotonin receptor in the brain where it mimics the effects of serotonin. Psilocin is extremely unstable and sensitive to oxidation. It is 1.4 times as active as psilocybin. Psilocin is the "Rolls-Royce" of psychedelics :lol:

You want to dehydrate them as soon as possible, and what better way via a dehydrator... I strongly advocate eating them fresh ! NEVER freeze them (OR when thawed you will just have a gooey mess), but it is ok to store them in the fridge for about 10 days or so... although, two other chemicals in shrooms, "baeocystin and norbaeocystin" are effected (Oxidation) by age. A nuther reason to eat as soon as possible. Baeocystin and Norbaeocystin are just psilocybin with one methyl and two methyls respectively lopped off.

People do boil mushrooms into a tea, some mix them into bakables... Heat can support potency loss, for some of the active chemicals in mushrooms are delicate and have a short afterlife... although it is small, and prolly not THAT noticeable. Just take an extra gram, you'll be ok :grin:

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

Offlinegrod31
Stranger
Male

Loc: New York
    #9187754 - 11/05/08 09:07 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

IcAnFeeLthErain said:
I'm considering purchasing a food dehydrator, since it is such a recommended method of drying/preserving from members like veda_sticks.  My question is how well will the fruits tolerate the heat produced by these units?  I have read a tek that suggests removing the heating element from these type models and replacing with a tub of desiccant, but how does this make the food dehydrator any more efficient than a regular old box fan propped up parallel to the floor w/ the shrooms arranged on top?  Please let me know how you all feel about dehydrator drying methods before i go hunting for one, and if I can expect solid (no bruising) results from using a box fan as mentioned above.

Thanks!

i bought the dehydrator, then when i ran out of room i bought 8 more racks for it- its a complete pain in the ass. a laundry basket and a box fan works just as good and in the same time frame, the dehydrator was fun , then it felt pointless.

--------------------
Back the tape up.  I need it again!
Let it roll!  Just as high as the
fucker can go!  And when it comes
to that fantastic note where the
rabbit bites its own head off, I
want you to  THROW THAT FUCKING
RADIO INTO THE TUB WITH ME!
    Not me.  It would blast you through
the wall stone dead in ten
seconds and they'd make me explain
VVVVV Free Myco Thread

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: ? about dehydrators [Re: grod31]
    #9188172 - 11/05/08 10:38 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Some of the most potent shrooms I've ever grown came off brown rice cakes and were tossed in a food dehydrator for 8 hours.

It beats the hell out of a box fan and then a wire mesh enclosure over a tub of desiccant, if you ask me. I put enough work into inoculation and cultivation that I really don't want the headache of worrying about drying the fruits of my labor.

Offlinecmod777debian
The Flood

Re: ? about dehydrators [Re: Brennus]
    #9188451 - 11/05/08 11:28 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I have a dehydrator. I have had it for about 8 years.  Used it to dry tons of deer jerky and fruits. It still works with mushrooms.  I have no clue what the temp is.  I am going to test it's temp today.

--------------------
Something like everything.  Nothing like anything

I think for myself....therefore I am myself

I look both ways before crossing the street, 4 times.  It's not because I am affraid to get hit by a car, it would just be a real inconvenience.

Don't make a wish.  Make a decision

My idea of gun control is a firm grip!

OfflineGojira45
Armchair Explorer

Re: ? about dehydrators [Re: cmod777debian]
    #9189454 - 11/05/08 02:43 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cmod777debian said:
I have a dehydrator. I have had it for about 8 years.  Used it to dry tons of deer jerky and fruits. It still works with mushrooms.  I have no clue what the temp is.  I am going to test it's temp today.

If it's for jerky & the like, and has no temp setting, its probably in the 140F range...

--------------------
"The theft of the seals and the possibility of a Planet X really point to everything we are doing as humans.

It was all set up. Were doing the same thing Hitler did with artifacts and knowledge about hollow earth.

OfflineIcAnFeeLthErain
How ya like your Chang's Sauce?
Male

Loc: Bright Side of the Road
    #9189951 - 11/05/08 04:13 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Shit, with lack of a better method I placed my fruits on wicker paper plate holders and popped them into the old oven at 170F, but I left the door down w/ a fan blowing into the oven (the mushrooms were hardly warm to the touch) and it worked well.

After a three hours they were all very dry and I placed them in a container w/ Drierite.  I checked them a day later and they're more spongy than they were before I took them out of the oven.  SOB! :gc:

--------------------
"We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness" -Thich Nhat Hanh

Take your sweet time, everything is a once in a life time experience.

Cakes?  No Thanks.

OfflineStimpy913
Happy Happy Joy Joy
 User Gallery
    #9190113 - 11/05/08 04:37 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

they don't lose potency in the dehydrator. Maybe if your dehydrator gets hot enough to bake bread, but i doubt it.

--------------------
How to talk to cops

Invisibledoze
Stranger

Re: ? about dehydrators [Re: Stimpy913]
    #9190192 - 11/05/08 04:52 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

hmm did you previously use the drierite? i would suggest sticking it in the oven at 400 degrees to recharge the desiccant.

--------------------
But I'll bounce back for mine is a heart made of iron forged in the darkest smithy of despair! Alloyed with hate and melancholy! corroded by anger! oxidized by fury!

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: ? about dehydrators [Re: doze]
    #9190215 - 11/05/08 04:56 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Try and just get a cheap dehydrator.. The fancy ones talking about beef jerky are apt to get alot hotter.. Or better yet, find one w/ adjustable temp control - but not all of the have this.. Another member mentioned how when he's running the dehydrator, he has a fan blowing directly at it to dissipate some heat..

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
Re: ? about dehydrators [Re: J3illy]
    #9190272 - 11/05/08 05:07 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

if your dehydrator gets too hot you can set the whole thing over a fan

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

OfflineGojira45
Armchair Explorer

Re: ? about dehydrators [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #9190396 - 11/05/08 05:29 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

noobieshroomie said:
if your dehydrator gets too hot you can set the whole thing over a fan

-noobie-

Just to remind everyone - a hot dehydrator doesn't effect potency. I personally wouldn't mess around with having a dehydrator sitting on a fan.. the dehydrator is basically a hair dryer with plastic around it.. why risk having it tip over, overheat & burn your place down? Put it someplace nice & stable & enjoy quickly dried mushrooms.

:2cents:

--------------------

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
    #9190411 - 11/05/08 05:31 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

strap it on there
i put my dehydrator on my kitchen counter

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate