Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJust_a_Shadow
Quarterback
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Computer Programming Technology Course
    #9186050 - 11/05/08 12:50 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I'm going to be taking this course at college. Does anyone have any experience in this area, I was wondering what kinda wages are involved n such. Maybe some tips and wisdom.

Computer Programming Technology:
Programmer/Analyst (Co-op)

Area of study include:

Structured Programming in a Variety of Languages in Traditional, Event-driven, and Object-oriented Environments Including C++, Visual Basic.NET, and Java
Computer Hardware
Computer Networks
Object Oriented Analysis and Design
Written and Oral Communications
Web Page Design and Development
Database Design and Implementation
Active Participation in Group and Individual Software Development Activities
Basic Business Concepts and Accounting Principles

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Computer Programming Technology Course [Re: Just_a_Shadow]
    #9186072 - 11/05/08 12:53 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Wages?  Is this a course or a degree program?

OfflineJust_a_Shadow
Quarterback
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Computer Programming Technology Course [Re: DieCommie]
    #9186434 - 11/05/08 01:57 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

2 year course

--------------------

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
    #9190947 - 11/05/08 09:16 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

hmmmm...dont know about 2 years, but I just finished my BS in computer science in december.  With good grades I got plenty of job offers, ranging from 40k - 119k a year starting, which was excellent.  However, others in my class weren't as lucky as me, or their grades weren't as high.  Don't know how this would correlate to a 2 year degree, but its all i can offer.

peace

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Computer Programming Technology Course [Re: supra]
    #9190960 - 11/05/08 09:18 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

With good grades I got plenty of job offers, ranging from 40k - 119k

Jesus.  If I get a PhD I wont even make that.  Well, good job with that.

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
Re: Computer Programming Technology Course [Re: DieCommie]
    #9191192 - 11/05/08 09:54 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

With good grades I got plenty of job offers, ranging from 40k - 119k

Jesus.  If I get a PhD I wont even make that.  Well, good job with that.

Well, the job for 119k was double all the others, most ranged from 40-60k.  Also, it was in San Diego, where it costs 7x as much for less home than I bought where I live now, and I don't make 7 times less pay either...

Also, OP, don't listen to the guys in school that only think getting the diploma is important, as there are many of them, though it may have been the social group I hung with, since we all smoked and tripped together.  GPA is very important when getting a job, and it paid off for the parties I had to miss and sessions I had to pass on to keep my grades up.

peace

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
    #9194485 - 11/06/08 12:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I am primarily a programmer, secondly a sys/network admin.  While programming is a great daily challenge to keep the mind limber, there will always be a salary cap involved in pure engineering jobs.  Now this salary cap can get pretty nice when you are a senior architect for a project or highly specialized in an area and get contracted out a ton for work, so its nothing to shy away at, but the reality is that your skill-set is replicated across a broad range of applicants.

A great piece of advice that I was given by a previous entrepreneur boss was to get out of the pure engineering jobs and get into a hybrid type position where you add value to the company in ways that are less replaceable by a large population of resumes.  Moving towards engineering executive positions, essentially or mixing yourself into a pre-sales engineering position, where you can help more with product development on the business side of the world.  His favorite saying was "CEOs are never hired from the programming department" (and just for reference, he has run several reputable tech firms in the Los Angeles area - came in when the company was performing poorly, built it up, sold it off and moved on to the next one).

So my advice as a fellow younger worker would be to enjoy the wonderful world of programming, but leave yourself an exit strategy so you don't get trapped.

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineJust_a_Shadow
Quarterback
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Computer Programming Technology Course [Re: Kremlin]
    #9197663 - 11/06/08 09:25 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hey thanks for the reply, I would like to have a somewhat dynamic carreer, and I love business, perhaps what you speek of would be the right idea. I would like to get into database design and programming artificial intelligence of all kinds.

As a side project im going to try to learn C and make a 3d game with an existing engine. I would like to use that in my portfolio.

--------------------

OfflineKremlin
life in E minor
Male User Gallery

Loc: /export/home/Kremlin
    #9201831 - 11/07/08 02:36 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Lunatix, that is an excellent idea.

I used to work at the career center at my alma mater, and got a chance to speak with the head developer at THQ about game design.  He recommended that a great way to get started is to start with an existing game engine and toy around with it.

I would recommend you check out Tremulous Here as a starting point for seeing the architecture of game rendering engines, and also as something to toy with.

But most importantly, Have fun!

--------------------
"Human suffering has been caused because all too many of us cannot grasp that words are only tools for our use, and that the mere presence of a word in the dictionary does not mean it necessarily refers to something definitive in the real world"
--Richard Dawkins, "The Selfish Gene"

"It is the mind which creates the world about us, and even though we stand side by side in the same meadow, my eyes will never see what is beheld by yours."
-George Gissing

"Without a firm idea of himself and the purpose of his life, man cannot live, and would sooner destroy himself than remain on earth, even if he was surrounded by bread."
--Fyodor Dostoevsky

OfflineD4NK
Omni-Potent
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: A Different Parallel Real...
Re: Computer Programming Technology Course [Re: Kremlin]
    #9203180 - 11/07/08 06:41 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I went for Electrical Engineering Technology (4 year) and make ~53k (first job out of college) which is pretty weak IMO.  I really like my job, so it isn't that big of a deal.  I do a lot of PLC and VB programming as well as electrical/hardware integration.

--------------------
  Moderation is key 

"There is no god higher than truth." 

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Computer Programming Technology Course [Re: D4NK]
    #9204861 - 11/08/08 12:10 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

> I went for Electrical Engineering Technology (4 year)

Is that a true Electrical Engineer?  EIT/PE?

> I do a lot of PLC

Fun!

> and VB programming as well

Bleck!

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineD4NK
Omni-Potent
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: A Different Parallel Real...
Re: Computer Programming Technology Course [Re: Seuss]
    #9219815 - 11/10/08 08:26 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> I went for Electrical Engineering Technology (4 year)

Is that a true Electrical Engineer?  EIT/PE?

> I do a lot of PLC

Fun!

> and VB programming as well

Bleck!

I believe that there are certain states where you can get a PE, but I am not 100% sure of that.  At the very least, you USED to be able to get it in some states.

I don't really enjoy PLC programming as much as VB, which I believe has a lot to do with the fact that ladder logic and STL is still very new to me.  Many of the tricks when it comes to that programming style I am still unaware of (as with VB, but not AS much).  Before getting hired on, I had only had maybe one assignment with ladder logic, and one class which incorporated assembly (not the same, but similar concept, low level, etc).  I really enjoy messing around with C, VB, and other higher level languages; if that makes me a tool, so be it :laugh:

--------------------
  Moderation is key 

"There is no god higher than truth." 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

General Interest >> Science and Technology