Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesdm0218
eyes peeled back
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX
Inoculated Jars with Filtered Needle... Screwed? + FC Humidity Question
    #9182984 - 11/04/08 02:31 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Hey guys, my buddy just inoculated 20 jars with orissa india through a filtered needle... are those jars screwed? or do you think enough smaller spores made it through? I know time will tell, but Im curious now, so what do yall think?

On a side note, I currently have some cakes in my shotgun FC (1st grow)and I am misting 3x daily, FAE 5x daily, fluorescent 6000K bulb on 3 hrs daily, 4.5 in. of perlite, a ton of holes... but my hygrometer will not exceed 84% -- it is a cheap hygrometer that can't be calibrated or anything, so Im hoping that is the problem, but any insight would be appreciated..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: Inoculated Jars with Filtered Needle... Screwed? + FC Humidity Question [Re: sdm0218]
    #9183035 - 11/04/08 02:45 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

What do you mean by a filtered needle?

OfflineDoidleTheDigger
nuby skeptic with help
Male

Loc: yomama
Re: Inoculated Jars with Filtered Needle... Screwed? + FC Humidity Question [Re: sdm0218]
    #9183040 - 11/04/08 02:46 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

shotgun FC doent need fanning or misting relly... perlite provides moisture holes at bottom provide co2 escape and a fan in the room provides FAE

even good hygros sometime have trouble at higher RH,

i got very good results with 2.5 inches of perlite, 2 daily fanning and no holes at all

you dont rely need to worry about light unless you have a shelf setup where the only light might be coming from the side IMO if i can see em for 6 hours of the day im happy(dont care what kind of light lol)

not sure bout the filer needle... depends on the filter rating

--------------------
"Git 'Er Done!"
"the sooner you start the sooner you get"
"if i ever hear you tell someone else ill stab you"
All of my posts are fictional

Offlinesdm0218
eyes peeled back
Male User Gallery

Re: Inoculated Jars with Filtered Needle... Screwed? + FC Humidity Question [Re: J3illy]
    #9183057 - 11/04/08 02:53 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Haha... Well, I got some syringes from lil shop of spores, but the needles dont fit the holes in the jar lids so my buddy went out to a medical supply store to buy the needles we needed. They gave him the size we needed, but after inoculating 20 jars he noticed they were filtered needles...

"BD Filter needles feature a molded-in filter membrane for reliable performance. They reduce particulates larger than five microns when aspirating, reconstituting and transferring fluids"

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9183082 - 11/04/08 02:59 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Well I just did a little bit of searching - and I see that spores are generally 1-10 microns in diameter.. You may be OK, but I can't guarantee it.. Did you see if anything was getting filtered in the needle if you took it off afterwards?

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
    #9183092 - 11/04/08 03:01 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Why didn't you just make the lid holes larger?

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

Offlinesdm0218
eyes peeled back
Male User Gallery

Re: Inoculated Jars with Filtered Needle... Screwed? + FC Humidity Question [Re: dead]
    #9183135 - 11/04/08 03:12 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Yea you could see some black spores in the filter..

And I didnt make the holes bigger because I read somewhere or saw in the pf tek videos to use 1/16" holes.. and figured best results would be to follow the tek to the T

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9183140 - 11/04/08 03:14 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

sdm0218 said:
Yea you could see some black spores in the filter..

That sucks, but you may still be OK.. There's thousands if not millions of spores in a syringe - and all it takes is 2 to get things going.. I just got 2 syringes from Sporeworks, and my Ecuador one was virtually clear.. To make matters worse, I also forgot to shake it right before inoculating a bag.. Well, 4 days later and I got mycellium growing in there. :borat:

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Inoculated Jars with Filtered Needle... Screwed? + FC Humidity Question [Re: DoidleTheDigger]
    #9183282 - 11/04/08 03:47 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DoidleTheDigger said:
shotgun FC doent need fanning or misting relly... perlite provides moisture holes at bottom provide co2 escape and a fan in the room provides FAE

even good hygros sometime have trouble at higher RH,

i got very good results with 2.5 inches of perlite, 2 daily fanning and no holes at all

you dont rely need to worry about light unless you have a shelf setup where the only light might be coming from the side IMO if i can see em for 6 hours of the day im happy(dont care what kind of light lol)

not sure bout the filer needle... depends on the filter rating

Its recomended that you mist then fan 4-5 times daily. While all the holes provide some natural FAE while your out, exchanging large volumes of air quickly is also benificial.

Youll need to get a beter hygrometer, digitals are notorous for being inacurate and cheap ones without external sensors crap out after being in high humidity after a few weeks.
  Buy an analogue that can be ajdusted, wrap in a damp towel for 1 hour and adjust to read 99%. With the shotgun you will have atleast 95% (if its made properly) unless you live in a dry climate (you would need to run a small humdifier in the room to bring up to 50% in that case).

The holes in the bottom are not to allow co2 to escape (while co2 is heavier than air, it doesnt sink to the bottom) but to allow air to enter through the bottom and wick up moisture as it passes through the perlite. (check out the link in my signiture for shotgun FC explaination).

As for lights, if your not interested in stellar pinsets then dont worry about light. But for performance bright light in the daylight range on a 12/12 on off schedule has shown to produce best results. (also information in my sig)

You have the light so keep using it, but put it on a 12 on 12 off schedule, it doesnt have to be exact, switch it on when you get up and switch it of when you go to bed.,

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinesdm0218
eyes peeled back
Male User Gallery

Re: Inoculated Jars with Filtered Needle... Screwed? + FC Humidity Question [Re: J3illy]
    #9183299 - 11/04/08 03:51 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I think it will be alright -- Like your research showed, if spores generally range from 1-10 microns... although it sucks all the spores over 5 microns got filtered, there had to be plenty under 5 microns that made it or so I would like to think. Time will tell -- your research and comments have appeased my curiosity/concerns for now.

Thanks for the help yall -- much appreciated!

Thanks for doing that research on my behalf J3illy, Ill give you a rating when I can..

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9183328 - 11/04/08 03:58 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

No prob, and good luck.. Which strain did you use? Sporeworks and other sites actually have pics of the spores under microscope - for example.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9183370 - 11/04/08 04:09 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

This is a recent pf tek cake, that was fruited with a 24 wat 6000K fluerescent fixture. Misted 3 times daily and fanned 6-8 times daily. Rh 95%-98% consistantly.

Spore size can vary from strain to strain. I coulldnt really find mushroom spore micron sizes. All i could find was 1/1000th of milimeter.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Edited by veda_sticks (11/04/08 04:12 PM)

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

Re: Inoculated Jars with Filtered Needle... Screwed? + FC Humidity Question [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9183380 - 11/04/08 04:10 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

They're 1-10 microns from info I found.. Judging by that pic I posted, those are 5-10 microns.

Offlinesdm0218
eyes peeled back
Male User Gallery

#9183394 - 11/04/08 04:12 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for clarifying Veda -- I have come across a lot of your advice to others while researching and following it has work out well thus far.

The only thing is I am using the miracle grow perlite (which I excessively rinsed out under hot water) and I am concerned that it does not hold enough moisture. I read somewhere that RR's perlite kept humidity above 95% for 3 weeks from just the initial soaking, well mine seems kind of dry after 3 days... and I mist the hell out of my FC. I will definately make sure to use the right kind of perlite in future projects but I still gotta get through this current project.

Offlinesdm0218
eyes peeled back
Male User Gallery

#9183413 - 11/04/08 04:14 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

It was Orissa India that was filtered..

Offlinesdm0218
eyes peeled back
Male User Gallery

#9183419 - 11/04/08 04:14 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Damn.. now that's a cake!

Offlinesdm0218
eyes peeled back
Male User Gallery

#9183444 - 11/04/08 04:19 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I think the humidity level might be alright even though my POS hygrometer reads 80-85% -- When I birthed the cakes there were a few cakes that had a couple pins already and those pins have more than doubled in size in two days -- Just waiting for A LOT more pins haha.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates