Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleArden
לנשום

Loc: Α & Ω Flag
Art... From Where, and Where To?
    #9174326 - 11/02/08 08:07 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Aesthetics is always fun to wrap yourself in. I can go on an art binge for hours, with music darting at me from a corner of the room, the computer screens quickly sliding through digital photography, incense smoke swirling in the air above, while I paste small paintings I made earlier. 

When something strikes your fancy as moving, insightful, or passionate, it seems to hit your consciousness instantaneously--all without being processed for "external" features like public appeal, stylistic comparisons, what is going on psychoanalytically, etc. Those secondary characteristics of artwork are later interpreted in a manner that is different from the initial experience of enjoying it.

So can anything inspire you? Obviously, many people who have consumed psychedelic drugs usually report an enhanced ability to find beauty in hitherto mundane things, from cracks in the wall to a leaky faucet. Social evolution and art movements have expanded our awareness and expanded our definition of what is to be considered art. But if we were able to isolate the experience (neural mapping, say) of an individual staring at a sculpture they are fond of, and we later find another individual who undergoes the same cognitive profile while they view a person meditating, or a baby being born, then where did "art" go?

Is being an artist the ability to show or the ability to produce? Which is responsible for the ultimate appreciation of the stimuli, the artist of the artwork? Even the cultural environment plays a significant role in defining experience; imagine the perception of surrealism during the middle ages. Waste of paint, right?

I think what I am getting at here (and Shroomery posting does occasionally seem to be a cathartic exercise), is that being art is not limited to any one spot in time or place, or any one medium created by any one person. There is no one person, no one place, nor one medium.

There are no islands as far as I can see.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Art... From Where, and Where To? [Re: Arden]
    #9174886 - 11/02/08 09:57 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

to art
or to do art
a contrivance is arranged
either a stage, a musical instrument, or a pen
or much more elaborat tools can be arranged.

one makes a move, or mark and from that another and another and on this stge, in this arranged space or paper or screen, something amazing happens, layers of meaning arixe and fall away, and more and more marks until it is just right.
the artist looking both ways
crosses the street
and joins the audience
and they saw that it was good.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleArden
לנשום

Re: Art... From Where, and Where To? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #9176337 - 11/03/08 08:02 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

:cool:

OfflineNexion
Seeker
Male

#9176384 - 11/03/08 08:19 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

... is that being art is not limited to any one spot in time or place, or any one medium created by any one person. There is no one person, no one place, nor one medium.

I don't mean to be rude, but isn't this common sense.

InvisibleArden
לנשום

Re: Art... From Where, and Where To? [Re: Nexion]
    #9178463 - 11/03/08 04:27 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I don't mean to be rude, but isn't this common sense.

No offense taken.

But common sense tells you the 'one' person you encounter in the mall and address in casual conversation is indeed a fully functionable, independent entity that thinks and creates novel interactions with the world... while I was suggesting it is the world that is in the human, rather than the human that is in the world.

In relation to art, common sense would lead someone to conclude that a painting is accomplished by a human hand... while I was suggesting it is something much more beyond that, notwithstanding a cosmological conspiracy.

OfflineNexion
Seeker
Male

#9181610 - 11/04/08 08:55 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Oh...let me see if I understand you more correctly now,

Are you implying that the universe, every living organism included, is actually one entity or whole? That it is this whole that creates art, not the 'individual' with the paint brush and canvas?

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#9181871 - 11/04/08 10:10 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Arden said:
When something strikes your fancy as moving, insightful, or passionate, it seems to hit your consciousness instantaneously--all without being processed for "external" features like public appeal, stylistic comparisons, what is going on psychoanalytically, etc. Those secondary characteristics of artwork are later interpreted in a manner that is different from the initial experience of enjoying it.

I attribute this to the non-verbal, intuitive, taking-in-the-big-picture, gestalt experience of the right hemisphere of the brain that plays such a crucial role in art appreciation.

Without this, appreciation of the finer details (or of the technical quality of a work) will never make a piece of art great.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order