Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineGnosticMedia
Jan Irvin

New book - The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity
    #9175397 - 11/02/08 11:39 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I’m excited to announce that my new book The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity, is now in print and available for pre-order on www.gnosticmedia.com.

The book has many color illustrations and proves the use of mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity with the discovery of ancient texts that discuss the mushroom. It also debunks the attacks by Gordon Wasson and Jonathan Ott against John Allegro's scholarship in The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross.

I’m currently selling the first 100 copies, numbered and autographed. The cost is $44.99 including shipping. For international orders, please include an additional $5 shipping and handling. Please allow 3 to 4 weeks for delivery for all orders. www.gnosticmedia.com See also: www.theholymushroom.com.

The Holy Mushroom by Jan Irvin

Christianity and the Piltdown Hoax share many similarities:  In both stories the information was constructed and then salted into the information stream, and, through the word of noted scholars, presented as fact, the truth. Scholars have egos and once committed to their ideas through scholarly publications, faculty meetings, and conferences, have difficulty seeing, hearing, or even appreciating an adverse view. To waver from a strongly held opinion could spell academic ruin and withdrawal of acclaim.  This leads to lively debate, counter stories, and even character assassination if one side or the other is being out trumped in the symbolic mêlée.
Jan Irvin (The Holy Mushroom) has captured what we might call an “anthropology of clarification” regarding whether or not mushrooms, and mind-altering substances in general, played any role in the development of not only Judaism and Christianity but the total culture in play at that time. It is now recognized in many academic communities (anthropologists, sociologists, psychiatrists, psychologists) that sufficient evidence exists of the importance of these substances, both textual and visual, to say “yes” in very large letters.  It is no longer theory. The questions Irvin asks is this: “If mind-altering substances did play this major role, then how would this affect our interpretations of the Bible and the Qur’an? Would this shed light on the origins of mystical experiences and the stories, for example Abraham hearing voices and Ezekiel’s convenient visions? What would this suggest about the shamanic behavior of Jesus? What impact would this have on organized religion? These are bold questions. This is a very useful volume for those interested in the Holy Mushroom, and the politics of truth. Detailed and wonderfully illustrated; great bibliography.
~ Professor John A. Rush, Sierra College

John Allegro's revelation of the sacramental role of a sacred mushroom in the ancient religions spanning the agrarian region from Mesopotamia to the Near East was immediately and unfairly rejected by a chorus of scholars less competent than him, but continuing research into early Christianity and the mystery religions of the Greco-Roman world and their perpetuation in alchemy and European folkloric traditions has vindicated the correctness of his discovery.
~ Professor Carl A. P. Ruck, Boston University

Jan Irvin has produced a most thoughtful and valuable account of debate around the use of hallucinogenic mushrooms in early Christianity. Irvin's careful account of the main protagonists, their sources and intellectual motivations shows the importance of continuing research on this significant moment in early Christian thought, as well as how academic research itself is affected by the cultural attitudes of the day. In adducing new textual evidence and showing the iconographic prevalence of the mushroom motif Jan Irvin is to be warmly congratulated - all serious scholarship for the future will have to take account of his achievement.
~ Professor Neil Whitehead, University of Wisconsin, Madison

Bio:

Jan Irvin is an independent researcher, author and lecturer in archaeoastronomy, astrotheology, ethnopharmacology, shamanism, symbolism, ancient and modern mythology, fertility cults, and ancient and modern religion.

He co-authored the book Astrotheology & Shamanism: Unveiling the Law of Duality in Christianity and Other Religions, 2006, with Andrew Rutajit. He also co-produced the DVD The Pharmacratic Inquisition, 2007, also with Andrew Rutajit.

He is the curator of the official website for John Marco Allegro, the much criticized Dead Sea Scrolls scholar, and has contributed much to the re-examination of many of Allegro’s theories. He contributed research toward the academic article Wasson and Allegro on the Tree of Knowledge as Amanita, 2006, with Michael Hoffman. This article is to be published in The Journal of Higher Criticism, sometime in 2008.

Jan was also featured in the documentaries The American Drug War, aired on Showtime; and the recently released Canadian film, High Jacking Humanity.

He brings with him over 15 years of research into the study of ethno-pharmacology and drugs. Through the years he has given dozens of public speeches and radio interviews regarding his studies.

Edited by TheHemperor (11/02/08 11:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal Flag
Re: New book - The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity [Re: GnosticMedia]
    #9175463 - 11/03/08 12:00 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I'm sorry but mushrooms + religion do NOT mix for me.  It's one or the other.

NO FLAMING IN THE PUB

Edited by Prisoner#1 (11/03/08 06:36 PM)

InvisibleAtheist
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: New book - The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity [Re: Newbie]
    #9175466 - 11/03/08 12:00 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Edited by Prisoner#1 (11/03/08 06:19 PM)

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: New book - The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity [Re: Atheist]
    #9175474 - 11/03/08 12:02 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Exactly.

OfflineMutatis Mutandis
Disgustipated

Re: New book - The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity [Re: Newbie]
    #9175582 - 11/03/08 12:26 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i always had a thought that maybe those who first started up religion were tripping balls..how else can you make up such an out of this world story?

--------------------
"what is it called when the assassins accuse the assassin?"

"Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on."

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: New book - The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity [Re: Mutatis Mutandis]
    #9176621 - 11/03/08 09:42 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think this will change Bill O'Reilly's view on drugs.

Newbie Shroomie: Awesome christianity pic :thumbup:

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #9176767 - 11/03/08 10:20 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

NewbieShroomie said:

:werd:

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Edited by Prisoner#1 (11/03/08 06:24 PM)

Offlineusefulidiot13
Dark Passenger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Death From Above
Re: New book - The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity [Re: niteowl]
    #9176984 - 11/03/08 11:03 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

seriously the best one ive seen.

--------------------
What Would Dexter Do?

Offlinedestructo_low
Oh yeah!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: New book - The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity [Re: Mutatis Mutandis]
    #9177230 - 11/03/08 11:59 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I am positive that's what happened also. They got fucked up on something, had visions, and wrote a book.

--------------------
There is a molecule for every purpose. There are only actions and reactions. Cut out the middle men. Everything I say is a lie.

OfflineGnosticMedia
Jan Irvin

#9178946 - 11/03/08 06:05 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

This book actually proves that Christianity is based on mushroom use. It's not arguing for Christianity.

I think you guys are misunderstanding what the book is about - much less what the reviews say.

--------------------
www.gnosticmedia.com

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: New book - The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity [Re: GnosticMedia]
    #9178961 - 11/03/08 06:08 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

It doesn't matter what Christanity is/was based on......
just look at what it is today.

:shitstorm:

--------------------

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

#9178968 - 11/03/08 06:10 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

NewbieShroomie said:

I strongly disagree. I was a strict aetheist UNTIL I tried mushrooms (and other psychedellics)

Edited by Prisoner#1 (11/03/08 06:25 PM)

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: New book - The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity [Re: MisterMuscaria]
    #9178993 - 11/03/08 06:15 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I was a strict aetheist UNTIL I tried mushrooms

So are you a Christian now or an agnostic?

--------------------

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

Re: New book - The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity [Re: niteowl]
    #9179002 - 11/03/08 06:16 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

niteowl said:
Quote:

I was a strict aetheist UNTIL I tried mushrooms

So are you a Christian now or an agnostic?

Im a Pagan; but after my first few trips I took up Islam then Taoism.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: New book - The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity [Re: MisterMuscaria]
    #9179005 - 11/03/08 06:17 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

So you're an agnostic, looking for a religion that suits you.

--------------------

Offlinepfshroomer
MASTER OF MY DOMAIN
Male User Gallery

Loc: seeking the truth Flag
    #9179052 - 11/03/08 06:25 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MisterMuscaria said:
Quote:

NewbieShroomie said:

I strongly disagree. I was a strict aetheist UNTIL I tried mushrooms (and other psychedellics)

Thank You
Seriously

--------------------
"Follow the medicine path with an open mind and a clear heart, and you will surely find inner peace and enlightenment."

Edited by Prisoner#1 (11/03/08 06:26 PM)

Offlinepfshroomer
MASTER OF MY DOMAIN
Male User Gallery

Loc: seeking the truth Flag
Re: New book - The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity [Re: pfshroomer]
    #9179064 - 11/03/08 06:28 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I dont understand why my post was edited?
not disagreeing with you prisoner Im just wondering what I did wrong?what someone else did wrong?thx

--------------------
"Follow the medicine path with an open mind and a clear heart, and you will surely find inner peace and enlightenment."

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: New book - The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity [Re: pfshroomer]
    #9179090 - 11/03/08 06:35 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Beef's with me boy, your fine.  :wink:

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #9179094 - 11/03/08 06:35 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

your post in it's self was not, it was the text from that first
response, trying to keep the spirit of friendly discussion and
as opposed to deleting the whole first response in that quote I
left enough so that it kept some context of disagreement with the OP

OfflineGnosticMedia
Jan Irvin

#9179101 - 11/03/08 06:37 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Exactly, and if we could prove that Christianity is based on mushrooms, then the lie comes crashing down.

There have been several scholars who've argued that Jesus, in fact, is an anthropomoprhism of the mushroom! Think about it, take and eat, this is my flesh.

In 1970, John Marco Allegro, the famed Dead Sea Scrolls scholar, who came out against Christianity argued that Jesus was the the mushroom - www.johnallegro.org. His book was called The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross: http://johnallegro.org/main/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=15&MMN_position=16:4

Last week, Professor John Hoopes came out against Christianity, arguing with new evidence that Jesus is the mushroom, and that all of the religions are based on drugs. His new book is called Failed God: http://astore.amazon.com/gnosmedi-20/detail/1583942742

So this book, the Holy Mushroom, is the 3rd book to come out with evidence that John Allegro's theory was correct. So if you're against the dogmatic religions, and for mushrooms, then there could be no better set of books for you to read and study and have new amunition against religious fanatics.

What if you told someone that Jesus was a mushroom, not a human, and then could actually prove it! ..

Check out Prof. Rush's interview on the Gnostic Media podcast from last week. You'll see what I mean. This guy argues that Jesus was never real, and that the entire religion is based on drugs - that Jesus was a metaphor describing the mushroom experience, not a real person. Believe it or not, there is actually a lot of evidence to support the arguments. http://gnosticmedia.podomatic.com/

And if you've never seen the Pharmacratic Inquisition movie that argues that Jesus wasn't real, and also based on drugs, the entire DVD is online for free viewing: http://www.pharmacratic-inquisition.com - it covers the history of this area of research - and how it's been suppressed for decades.

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#9179120 - 11/03/08 06:40 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Exactly, and if we could prove that Christianity is based on mushrooms, then the lie comes crashing down.

I apologize for the misunderstanding, I thought you were trying to sell us religion through mushrooms, not debunk it.  I'm highly in favor of unraveling that organization.  :thumbup:

OfflineGnosticMedia
Jan Irvin

#9179131 - 11/03/08 06:42 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Haha, I thought so... I was like WTF? If anyplace should be happy about a book like this, it's those here at the Shroomery.

OfflineProf. Astro
acirebma

#9179239 - 11/03/08 07:04 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

There is a good book on amanitas a friend has with comparisons to Jesus as an image for the mushroom. Very good read.
Magic Mushrooms in religion and alchemy

--------------------
:hanky:

OfflineGnosticMedia
Jan Irvin

Re: New book - The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity [Re: Prof. Astro]
    #9182155 - 11/04/08 11:26 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Amberica said:
There is a good book on amanitas a friend has with comparisons to Jesus as an image for the mushroom. Very good read.
Magic Mushrooms in religion and alchemy

yes, indeed. I have it here. I forgot to mention it.

--------------------
www.gnosticmedia.com

Offlineexanimo
Stranger

#9242931 - 11/14/08 08:26 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Wow . . . Sorry Mr Irvin. I thought this would be a great place to introduce the book. I guess give them time to read and understand it. Here's one very interested shroom head :whoo:

Offlinemonkeywrench
Why Not?

Re: New book - The Holy Mushroom: Evidence of Mushrooms in Judeo-Christianity [Re: exanimo]
    #9243039 - 11/14/08 09:12 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

love your work Jan.. keep it up Hempo!!!  I'm gonna get your book and the Dr. ?'s new book too, I'll find it on amazon on the related book ticker. 

>Wow . . . Sorry Mr Irvin. I thought this would be a great place to introduce the book. I guess give them time to read and understand it. Here's one very interested shroom head

I always enjoy reading/ watching Jan's material.  In fact I've been turned on to several books due to Jan's material..  I found a copy of The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross...John Allegro... at my library and man was it a good read.  If it weren't for people like these doing the leg work I doubt we'd have access to these gems of truth.  Jan Irvin, Thank You for your diligence and journey for truth.

--------------------
[quote]skalthren said:
It's nice of you to imply that I've been brainwashed by the government, but the truth is that I'm simply intelligent enough to recognize the subtleties of these issues instead of going "durr hurr, weed should totally be legal!"[/quote]

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder