Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Lids and rust
    #9173931 - 11/02/08 06:53 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

My lids are rusting around the holes I drilled for GE. Can I silicone around the holes to prevent further rust or what? How do people deal with this other than making new lids?

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletripchip
The Mushroom Monkey
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: African Jungle
Re: Lids and rust [Re: ScavengerType]
    #9173954 - 11/02/08 06:57 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

not sure, but is rust bad for myc? you could buy new lids. i dont know about the silicone... doesnt sound like a great idea but may work. just get some sand paper and get that rust off, tht might delay the rust from getting worse. in the future i would say just get some new lids, they are cheap.

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

Loc: Elsewhere.
    #9173965 - 11/02/08 07:00 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I don't worry about it. I have been using the same lids for a year. You could steel wool them.?

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: Lids and rust [Re: tripchip]
    #9173978 - 11/02/08 07:02 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I think I've heard rust in or around the tyvek filter can harbor contaminants. So I'm a little concerned about it.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

#9173992 - 11/02/08 07:05 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I use rusty lids without a problem.  You could get plastic lids but unless you get gaskets for them they don't really seal well.  A poor seal will cause way more problems than rust will.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

#9174054 - 11/02/08 07:17 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I have used rusty lids for a long time with no problems.

When larger diameter holes were drilled to do grains and the holes were deburred (sanded), the rust problem became worse.

I have switched to plastic lids and I enjoy working with them much, much more.

I have heard about plastic lids leaking without gaskets but I have not experienced this.  I do not use gaskets and mine do not leak at all.  I have plastic lids with injector ports and whatman filters and can turn them upside down for extended periods with no leaking.

Funny, I use Ball plastic lids with Kerr glass jars and they work great.

Splurge (a couple of bucks) and give plastic lids a try !

--------------------

Invisibletripchip
The Mushroom Monkey
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: African Jungle
Re: Lids and rust [Re: uncle_rico]
    #9174085 - 11/02/08 07:21 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

how rusty are we talking? any pics anyone with rusty lids that have success?

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

#9174105 - 11/02/08 07:25 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Mine are mildly rusted. Nothing big. I take steel wool to them on a rare occasion and all is good. I don't really care too much as long as my jars don't contam.

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

#9174117 - 11/02/08 07:27 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I am talking about rusty.  I live in a relatively humid climate (Hawaii) .... so rust happens.

I don't like the rust so I wipe it off or scrub it off with a Scotch brite which adds another step and is a pain ... so plastic is good.

--------------------

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

#9174127 - 11/02/08 07:28 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

A big advantage of metal lids is that you can remove the threaded band but leave the disk in place until it needs to be lifted momentarily when making transfers with G2G or agar wedges.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

Loc: cardboard box
Re: Lids and rust [Re: musher_420]
    #9174157 - 11/02/08 07:35 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
Rust doesn't hurt a thing.

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I disagree.  Rust won't hurt a thing, but plastic lids suck.  They require the filter material to be inside the jar where it gets wet when you shake, leading to contaminants.  Another problem with plastic lids is they are prone to fly off when you shake the jars, spilling grains everywhere.  I ordered 100 plastic lids from fungi.com a few years ago, and have thrown every single one in the trash.
RR

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
It's harmless to the mushrooms and to you if eaten.  Just don't cut your finger on the rusty lid.  Lockjaw sucks.
RR

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: Lids and rust [Re: rugergirl79]
    #9174165 - 11/02/08 07:37 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

thanks ruggergirl

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

#9174168 - 11/02/08 07:37 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

:werd:

--------------------

Invisiblerugergirl79
lεṡвïαṉ εχτɾøḋïṉ^
 User Gallery

Loc: cardboard box
Re: Lids and rust [Re: misos]
    #9174185 - 11/02/08 07:41 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

not a prob.....:cheers:

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9176349 - 11/03/08 08:07 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Rust is just iron oxide. It won't harbour anything more than any other inert substance.

In fact, even the relationship between rust and lockjaw is a myth. Tetanus is a bacteria and rust influences it in now way.

A quote from wikipedia whis saves me the time of typing up my own answer

Quote:

Tetanus is often associated with rust, especially rusty nails, but this concept is somewhat misleading. Objects that accumulate rust are often found outdoors, or in places that harbour anaerobic bacteria, but the rust itself does not cause tetanus nor does it contain more C. tetani bacteria. The rough surface of rusty metal merely provides a prime habitat for a C. tetani endospore to reside. An endospore is a non-metabolising survival structure that begins to metabolise and cause infection once in an adequate environment. Because C. tetani is an anaerobic bacterium, it and its endospores will thrive in an environment that lacks oxygen. Hence, stepping on a nail (rusty or not) may result in a tetanus infection, as the low-oxygen (anaerobic) environment of a puncture wound provides the bacteria with an ideal breeding ground.

So, it's the fact that normally rusty objects are not clean, not that they are actually rusty, that can cause the infection. And your jar lids would be pretty clean, even if they are rusty, as they are boiled/PCd regularly.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Invisibleseven
Male

Loc: north carolina
Re: Lids and rust [Re: Nibin]
    #9176406 - 11/03/08 08:25 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

tetanus is a bacteria could be found anywhere but mostly found in soil. it can enter any cut. it causes bad muscle spasms usually starting in the face, locking of the jaw muscles, and in extreme cases violent spasms where people's back arches in the middle off the bed - people have even been known to break their own spine in these spasms.

--------------------
grind

OfflineBigshroomz357
OG

#17123693 - 10/29/12 12:32 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

you can double layer your tyvek..

--------------------
Morel ,shittake mushroom burger with swiss yum! I love mushrooms!

Offlinewtfcrazymofo
foil hater
Other

Loc: Colonial alley
Re: Lids and rust [Re: Bigshroomz357]
    #22665899 - 12/17/15 12:19 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I got some rusty lids from rodgerrabbits influence. What is the cure?

--------------------
If you want to eat->https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8553541

Bag sealers are to bulky (my hood isn't that big)
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/28622922

Offlinewtfcrazymofo
foil hater
Other

#22665910 - 12/17/15 12:21 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Copper? Gold?

--------------------
If you want to eat->https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8553541

Offlinewtfcrazymofo
foil hater
Other

Re: Lids and rust [Re: seven]
    #22665938 - 12/17/15 12:29 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

OfflinePsilosoulful

Re: Lids and rust [Re: wtfcrazymofo]
    #22666031 - 12/17/15 01:06 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Plastic twist off lids ftw!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom