Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemantid
mycelium runner

Loc: oregon coast
wood lovers from cardboard
    #9154011 - 10/29/08 12:28 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Hello-  I was given some wood-loving mycelium in jars full of natural debris and freshly-added wet cardboard.  They are colonizing nicely.  Most of the teks for woodlover culturing seems to go from grain to sterilized wood.  So, should I just treat some of the cardboard as "grain" and add it to woodchips, or start adding more and more fresh wood to these already-colonizing jars?  Or use the cardboard to do more cardboard in trays?  I am considering trying to do some large bags of bunkerspawn with some of it, but also want to ensure that at least some of it goes well.  Also, is this too late to put them outdoors?  Should I just keep spawning until spring? (Coastal Oregon where they should be fruiting outside now or soon...  the rains/cold are late this year)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemantid
mycelium runner

Re: wood lovers from cardboard [Re: mantid]
    #9155651 - 10/29/08 06:29 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Ok I have done some more finessed searching and I guess I see the consensus is that cardboard is not good spawning material, and I should transfer to wood ASAP.  The questions about weather to put it outside this year or keep spawning until next spring remain, but I guess the thing to do is put half of it outside now, and see what happens. 

Do chips need to be sterilized if they are fresh chipped from the tree?  Do they need to be soaked if they are from fresh branches?

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

#9156377 - 10/29/08 08:49 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

ive only had one contamn with cardboard, and i just soak in warm water and spawn to it.
and cobweb was the only contamn, everything worked out otherwise.

Invisiblemantid
mycelium runner

Re: wood lovers from cardboard [Re: CptnGarden]
    #9156858 - 10/29/08 10:18 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I was just re-reading GGMM and Stamets is pretty enthused on cardboard.  I guess its obsolete?  Seems people here are mostly not into it.  So I will attempt leaping onto woodchips. 

I still love the idea of inoculating huge bags of chips in burlap with the large sheets of cardboard between them.  Has anyone actually tried this?

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
    #9158136 - 10/30/08 07:11 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

cardboard is a substrate low in nutrients and works well for limiting contaminants because it is low in nutrients.  you should definitely try your plan out, if it is cold then the mycelium will just colonize slower and in Spring you should be able to harvest some good mushrooms depending on what species you have. 

This thread maybe ought to be moved to a cultivation thread?

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

Invisiblemantid
mycelium runner

Re: wood lovers from cardboard [Re: solumvita]
    #9158572 - 10/30/08 10:10 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Oh, wrong forum indeed.  No idea how that happened...  Thanks for the words though.  I guess I am just having trouble juggling the conflicting theories.  Stamets is obviously a big proponent of cardboard, and it seems reasonable to take his guidance pretty seriously.  However, I really like hearing the real-world experience of the mere mortals among us.

If a mod can move this, I would appreciate it, but I guess my questions have been answered.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: wood lovers from cardboard (moved) [Re: mantid]
    #9158632 - 10/30/08 10:29 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

This thread was moved from Contamination Forum.

Reason:
Cardboard can be used, but it's more of an outdoor technique.  You won't do well spawning unsterile media to sterile woodchips indoors.  Take your colonized cardboard and spawn hardwood chips/sawdust outdoors and cover well with straw to help hold in the heat.  It should really be done earlier in the season, but since you already have it, there's nothing to lose.

I'll move this to the gourmet forum for you.
RR

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract