Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Hydroponic Mushroom growing * 1
    #91563 - 01/08/00 11:20 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

when i saw this topic i just smiled heh, this seems like it should be the next step in the home psilocybe mushroom grower, just like buds, no? i dont know how one would do this, do shrooms eat the same nutriants as plants? they dont have roots so they wouldnt have much support would they? you can obviously get mycellem or whatever to grow on water with glucose or dextrose or honey or whatever in it, but has anyone tryd to get it to pin/fruit after putting in vermiculite or something for the shroom to hold onto?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Hydroponic Mushroom growing
    #91565 - 01/10/00 06:02 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I'm actualy kicking around an idea, If I use tall taperd pint jars, put a small block if rockwool in the bottem then make a typical pf cake out of it. Then take a small depth platic bin cut holes in it so the rockwool on the bottem of the cakes pokes down though them into a light water nutriant solutiion so the cakes can suck up the moisture throught the rockwool, and a UV light in the nutriant chamber wouold kill any bacteria, mold or fungi in the nutriant chamber so the cakes would not become comtamed from the solution.

InvisiblePrellgott
addict
    #91566 - 01/10/00 08:08 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

....what a solution?- malt-extract?
but maybe just an automatic water-spender and rockwool....
sterilizing with UV, good idea, but ways too difficult

--------------------
i'm back

Anonymous

#91567 - 01/10/00 08:47 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Prellgott, I do no think so. The most time consuming thing would be makeing the cakes which would be probably around the same time it takes now. Cutting holes in a tub takes all of 5 min and adding a uv light to the nutiant resavior would be only be the time it'd take to add 2 bolts. The postive thing is that you would not have to mess with it you may want to cover the tops of the cakes with loose fitting plastic or something but that would be about all + I suspect that the cakes would last 2-3 times there normal time, with the suplamentation. Or you may be able to eventualy forget all of the cakes and just use agar water and rockwool and fruit them righ on it. Like I said it's just a concept but I'll be trying it soom with some shitakes, as for now my shroom growing days are on hold.

Offlineflyguy
Loc: northeast usa
    #91568 - 01/10/00 08:55 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

The only problem that i see is that one of the main reasons the mycelium fruits in the first place is when their food supply is running low. If you kept a food supply constant, the mycelium may stay "happy" and have no reason to fruit. Of course, if light and temp are enough to make it fruit, you might be on to something. Perhaps there is a way to wait untill the fruiting starts and then add a steady supply of nutrients. Of course contamination would be the biggest problem that I could see.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #91569 - 01/11/00 01:35 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Why don't you just grow them in a slightly-modified blender?

Just mix up a batch of substrate as usual and load it into a blender. Pressure cook it or whatever... and then just let it grow from there.

After it is colonized, just take off the lid and stick it in your grow chamber. When it stops fruiting, put the lid back on, add new sterile substrate, blend and voil?!

This could be used if you are able to keep a 0% contamination rate (hard to do without expensive filtration systems). But really, why don't you just make up a new batch of cakes?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineB.I.O.
old hand
Male User Gallery
    #91570 - 01/11/00 01:41 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Hi Moe

heycorncobs&stalks as substrate...
grind or just cut into smallpieces...
then soak em in water&cookfor 2-3hrs
and sterilize after for 90minsat15psi...
i got peanutshells sterilizing at the mo...
give evrything a go i say!!!

Peggy

OfflineB.I.O.
old hand
Male User Gallery
    #91571 - 01/11/00 01:45 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

woopsa hi soveryarbitrary....allmixedup...
BTW make sure the stems or cobs have dried out before snipsnipsnipping...
have fun..
Peggy

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #91572 - 01/11/00 01:58 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

If you're interested in doing a hydro version for mushrooms you might want to check out a book called "Plants From Test Tubes" by Lydiane Kyte.

Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0881923613/qid%3D947624389/002-0296196-2233829

It's a book about plant tissue culture, media formulations and cloning techniques. Alot of mycologists use it for it's cloning info but if you want to get an idea of how to transfer tissue into tubes....give it a look.

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Anonymous

#91573 - 01/11/00 04:15 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I think you guys have overlooked the most obvious objective of hydroponic growing. To me....it seems like someone somewhere could play around with all kinds of wacked experimentations and figure out a way to get mushrooms to grown hydroponically.

but WHY?
What would you get out of the shrooms by growing them this way? I mean...it doesnt seem to me that growing them in this method would boost potency, size, growth rate, or anything -- does anyone have evidence to back it up that it might? Just takes more work. I dunno, what are you thoughts on THAT.

kake

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #91574 - 01/12/00 04:51 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

kake- that's what I want to know...

Why bother with hydroponics? I mean, more work and no benefits. Sounds like we got some weed growers who just got turned on to shroom growing. Two totally different processes.

If you want better shrooms, the only way to go is genetic engineering. I'm looking into it...

--------------------

Anonymous

#91575 - 01/12/00 06:03 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

There are many reasons to grow shrooms hydroponically, most of them visit my growing room and ask why I'm not growing them hydroponically. If it took 5 hours more worth of work, it would be worth my time. Just so I don't have to sit down and explain the life cycle of fungus to everyone that makes that dumbass remark.

But seriously I could see a super fast growing tissue culture of some sort, maybe even have it flow right into a dehydrator of some sort. Here's how it works, open box, pour in water, spores and food of some sort. Then be sure to dump out the "catch drawer" full of mushroom powder every couple days. Market with Magic Chef(tm) to compete head to head with Salad Shooter(tm) during the christmas season. It's the gift that keeps on giving, besides everyone HAS a salad shooter now. Now for a catchy name... "The Little Magic Kitchen" or "Easy Baked Oven" (damn, already taken!). Ok, I'll spare you the agony of me coming up with a jingle. But I can see the comercial now..... It's great for trips!

Way too naturally high tonight...
-Capt'n

Anonymous

#91576 - 01/13/00 05:25 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Actualy I was a shroom grower long before I was a weed grower. but I the concept that I was developing was to extent the life of a cake longer, because 1. Its a bitch to make up substrate, 2. I'm lazy (see reason)
+ if you did get it to run though rockwool it would be easer to pass on to friends , than cultures or spores, and eare for them to get imediate results.

Anonymous

#91577 - 01/14/00 10:55 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I can think of many reasons why a hydroponic shroom growing set up would be worth the time and effort to get it going.

1. The possibility that it could extend the life of ones mycelium culture.
2. One could cut off the supply of nutrients to the mycelium causing it to stress and fruit.
3. It would be possible to feed precursor chemicals in controlled amounts to increase the psilocybin and psilocen content of the mushrooms.
4. One could observe and record the amount of nutrients the mushrooms consume.
5. It would allow the grower to make fine tune adjustments to many variables during the growing process. Standard methods for growing mushrooms only allow the grower to control humidity, temperature and light exposure. Utilizing a hydroponic growing system the grower could control the amount of nutrients going to the mushrooms. The grower could adjust the PH level of the growing medium. The grower could control the temperature of the growing medium.
6. A hydroponics growing method would work well for scientific research since it would be easy to control many variables in real time thus making it easiere to ensure against confounding variables that would pollute data.
7. After experimenting by controlling all the variables associated with the mushrooms growing cycle, it could be possible to increase the maximum yield of both the quantity and the quality of the mushrooms.

This would be a very challenging way of growing mushrooms. It would require hours upon hours of research. And one would have to construct this setup from scratch. One would have to be willing to take some risks. But if one was successful I truly believe that it would be worth all the time and effort.

Anonymous

#91578 - 01/14/00 06:11 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

soveryarbitrary, well put.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #91579 - 01/14/00 01:50 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

It's just a pipe dream for most growers. Unless you have a shitload of expensive filtration and contamination prevention equipment just sitting around, I can't see the benefits of trying to grow shrooms hydroponically.

The only people I can think of that would be interested in doing this, would be advanced mycologists who get paid alot of money to do this type of experimenting.

This is just pothead talk.

--------------------

Anonymous

#91580 - 01/15/00 06:46 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Sclorch,
Your blender idea moved me, and I happened to have a blender that was just barely holding on. So I heaped up some of my best cakes that were just about petered out. And tossed them into old betsy (She served well until a recent run in with some root bark in a little DMT extracting stint.) Since I had been out of town a few times recently, the cakes had some spores on them too, figure it couldn't hurt, since we don't want the strain to peter out either. So 2 cakes were thrown in with some soggy brown rice and brown rice flour that I pressure cooked, just in case. I don't think I even needed to pressure cook the rice, because now, 3-4 days later, (when did you post that), all the new rice is colonized completely. I put in about 80% of the total cake volume in rice and powder. I covered the blender with saran wrap to prevent a problem. But a hepa filter runs constantly in my lab. So now I think I need to tape up the sides of the blender, since there are pinheads forming where they will not be able to grow good (on the sides). I took off the saran wrap today and put them in the terrarium, we'll see how it goes from here.

Thanks for the great idea, I imagine I can use the old dead biomass for a filler, like vermiculite, and keep adding food. Now the problems are, 1. Blender tops are quite a bit more expensive than jars. 2. if it eventually does fill the blender, guess I can always chunk some out. I remember reading somewhere a quart jar screws right on to a blender bottom. In that case you could add rice to jar, invert, blend. Repeat until bored. I'll try to dig out my buddies 1/2 broken digital camera today and snap some pics for ya. Anyone else try this??
just blending,
-Capt'n

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #91581 - 01/16/00 03:49 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

This really isn't a new concept at the shroomery, it's been brought up periodically for a while. The only point I'll rehash (and I believe it was placebo that came up with a rather long-winded rebuttal if anyone wants to dig that up):
Hydroponic- growing without soil, usually plants in this case fungus
Most modern shroom teks- no soil. most people use verm (soil additive, not soil) BRF, not soil and water, not soil.
In my opinion everyone who grows shrooms, with the exception of certain casing mixtures, does so hydroponically. Especially if you're into agar work or liquid innoc teks as many of us are.
carry on

------------------
-From a registered Mad Scientist

"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obiwan Kenobi (also a Mad Scientist tm)

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisiblePrellgott
addict
    #91582 - 01/16/00 07:21 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

..just had an idea...
take containers with holes at the bottom
case like normal
but use hydro-granulate, rockwool, perlite mixture as bottom layer
place the containers in a larger container
put water in the larger container

that way the water is sucked into the bottom layer and can be used by the normal cased shrooms

so you have a four layer sandwich
from the bottom to the top
rockwool/hydro-granulate/perlite
vermiculite/perlite/compost/soil/gypsum
(optional) manure
crumbled cakes
(optional) manure
wood compost/verm/gypsum

I will try that when my next jars are ready ( in a few days)
will post results

[This message has been edited by Prellgott (edited January 19, 2000).]

--------------------
i'm back

Anonymous

#91583 - 01/18/00 09:13 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

WHY? WHY try to develop hydroponic mushroom growing tek's?for the life long search for knowledge and innovation and challenges!

also i dont think the basic shroom growing tek's are hydroponic. hydroponic doesnt meen without soil, but working with water, doesnt it? if these teks were truly hydroponic, all the nutrients would be provided by the water, and the solids would just be for support, nutrientless. to fruit ,you would have to go low on nutrients AND have stagnate water wouldnt you? if the water was still flowing, i dont know how the shrooms could start pinning, heh.

well viva la innovation!

------------------
Lady finger, dipped in moonlight
writing "What for?" across the morning sky
sunlight splatters, dawn with ansewer
darkness shrugs and bids the day goodbye

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder