Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemycomed02
Stranger

A few questions concerning bulk substrate grows?
    #9089807 - 10/17/08 12:55 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Okay so Ive been lurking for a while, and finally decided to join up! Let me start by saying its nice to be a member, and I really enjoy reading through everyone threads... especially the bulk threads. Anyway, Im planning to start my first bulk grow, and have acquired most of the gear it will take to pull it off.

Heres what Ive got in mind. Ive got a brand new 4x8 HydroHut that was never even unboxed... which will act as my grow chamber. Im going to stick a few wire shelves in there to put my under-the-bed rubbermaid containers on, and to hang my floros on. I plan on using 10 rubbermaid containers, each filled with one layer of hydrotron, an inch of water and 2 airstones. These will act as my fruiting chambers.

Ive decided to go with the injectable spawn bags, and will put 3-1lb substrate bags in each under-the-bed rubbermaid, for a total of 30-1lb spawn bags. I will stick my humidifier, ionizer and carbon scrubber in the hut to keep things as clean and moist as possible.

Now that you know my rough outline, let me ask a few questions.

Once I mix my straw/dung substrate and pasteurize it in the oven, and after I inject my 120ccs of LC, and after its colonized... then I put it in my fruiting chamber and cut the tops of the spawn bags off, right? I can then case it at that point as well?

Ive been wondering, what sort of spawn should I use and when does it go in? Before I pasteurize, correct? How many ccs of spore solution come in one sporeworks syringe? Will the Karo LC method really allow me to turn one syringe into 2-300ccs of live culture?

How long after colonization should I expect to harvest my first run? How long after until the 2nd? 3rd? Is it true that for every pound of bulk substrate you use, a pound of dry shrooms is in order? Im not an idiot, and totally capable of completing this daunting task. Im sick of paying ridiculous prices for fungi and herbal, so I figure why not bring it to my guys cheaper and more potent : )

Im sure as I read on, some of my questions will be answered. I hope I can get some valuable advice, and Im certainly not looking to be spoonfed. Ill do my homework if youve got an interesting thread for me to read, as long as it pertains to my idea and isnt totally off task. I truly appreciate any help I can get, and thanks again!

Med

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: A few questions concerning bulk substrate grows? [Re: mycomed02]
    #9090040 - 10/17/08 01:59 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I can't answer all those questions, but I can at least vaguely answer a few to the best of my knowledge:

Once the bags are fully colonized, unless your growing invitro in the bag, your going to want to add it to the bulk substrate. From what I gather (I will be doing my first bulk as well once I free up some closet space from current projects), you mix 3/4 of the spawn into the bulk, and frost the top of the bulk with the remaining 1/4 spawn.

The second paragraph of questions - The spawn should be the mycelium in the bags by definition, 10cc's is what will come standard from almost any spore vendor in a syringe, and I have no clue what a Karo LC method is.

This is strictly for if your using mono-tubs: For a bulk project you should expect 3-4 weeks from putting the cover on the mono-tub til you are taking it off to harvest. 2ish weeks and the bulk should be pretty well over-ran with mycelium, then you need to add a casing layer (which isn't necessary but encouraged), and get the light cycles going to trigger pinning - so 1-2 weeks after you start triggering pinning you should see success or failure (preferably success). As for the second and third flushes, it really depends on whether you dunk the bulk substrate or not, which again is not necessary but encouraged for heavier flushes. If you don't dunk it, it will come relatively quickly, if you do dunk it, the mycelium will stall for a day or so as it recoops its territory in the substrate, and pound out a badass flush - maybe a week each subsequent flush.

Good luck, hope we both make out like bandits :crazy2:

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #9090479 - 10/17/08 07:55 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

What is a Hydro Hut? And is it your grow chamber , as you stated , or are the 10 rubber maid containers?

If you're putting your humidifier in this HH , why are you putting hydroton ,water and airstones in the rubbermaids?

Ionizers, carbon scrubbers , are you sure you're growing mushrooms:confused:

You've lost me somewhere,lol.

Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinemycomed02
Stranger

Re: A few questions concerning bulk substrate grows? [Re: HippieChick]
    #9091806 - 10/17/08 01:57 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

c1dh3d, I guess I'm still kind of confused. I thought I understood how the myco bags worked, obviously I don't. I thought you put the bulk sub (straw/horse/chicken poo mixture) in the bags and pasteurize or PC them. After colonization you can either open the bags and pull the block of substrate out and put it in your monotub, or you can cut the tops of the bags off. I read somewhere about layer spawn then substrate in a tub and it's like better? Does that mean after it's all white, I'm supposed to pull out the block and crumble it? What do you think? A little help?

Alright, well I'm going to buy 10-12 syringes, and probably like 4 different strains. If I can take 10cc and turn it into 200-300cc then I'd be satisfied : )

HC, a HydroHut is like a grow tent for indoor plants, but obviously I don't plan on growing any plants... at least not in this tent ; ) It's like my make shit closet in a house that's hardly sterile. I think it will make it easier to keep clean inside the hut. Anyway, the rubbermaid container will go inside. Perhaps I should ditch the hydrotron/airstone idea for a humidifier at 85-90%. Ionizer is to keep my room clean, like for less air contamination chance. Carbon scrubber would act in the same fashion, keeping things inside the hut cleaner and more sterile? I have this stuff left over, so why not?

Any advice to make things run heavier, smoother or easier? Thanks!

Offlinec1dh3d
The elephant is BACK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #9094413 - 10/17/08 11:10 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

That may be a way of doing it, but I guess the 'standard' approach would be to inoculate grain, like rye grain for example, and let mycelium cover that - then add it to the bulk inside of the monotub. You do need to pasteurize the bulk substrate and all of that, but get some spawn (bags full of colonized grain) seperately then add to the bulk inside the tub.

So, inoculate bag of rye, once it is fully colonized (completely white) add the pasteurized bulk to the monotub. Then, crumble 2/3rds of the colonized bag onto the bulk and mix it around as evenly as possible, then take the remaining third and spread it evenly across the top. Probably not even so much as a third of the bag, probably closer to a 4th. You just want the colonized grain as evenly distributed as possible so it doesn't grow unevenly.

Offline12468
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #9094816 - 10/18/08 12:42 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mycomed02 said:
It's like my make shit closet

Offlinemycomed02
Stranger

Re: A few questions concerning bulk substrate grows? [Re: 12468]
    #9122236 - 10/23/08 04:35 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Okay, so I'll try to post again. I hate how I have to continue, then submit. I always forget to submit... forgive my potheadedness.

I've decided to go with monotubs, 10-12 large ones. I plan on layering my horse shit/straw substrate with WBS spawn and then once my tubs have colonized... I will case 5-6 of them with vermiculite and 5-6 of them with WBS... just to see if there is a difference. I figured I'd probably end up with 6" of colonized sub.

I'm going to lose the humidifier and carbon scrubber, because after all... I'm not growing pot... I'm studying mycology. Thanks HippyChick for pointing that out. I guess I thought I could make up for my lack of experience with expensive equipment, typical n00b mistake... and I wont be the one to make it. I'm obviously not going to use hydrotron/airstone tubs either. After reading a few thousand threads here at Shroomery, I learned that that the monotub itself is a great enviro for mushies to grow.

I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly; after all... just because this is my first run doesn't mean I can't be successful and learn at the same time. I have to pasteurize my substrate in oven bags following one of the 10 tek's offered here. Then I have to sterilize the WBS spawn and inject my myc into each WBS jar. <--- how much? Then I layer the substrate and spawn into my sterilized monotubs and wait for them to colonize; at which point I'll flip my floros on to 12/12 and initiate fruiting?

I don't understand one thing. Once my spawn is innoc'd, how long do I wait before I layer in the tubs? I don't want my jars to colonize and not my tubs...? Someone shed some light on this for me?

So everyone knows, I'm going to try 6 strains of cube. B+, Amazon, GT, Malibar and then whatever else you guys/girls can recommend to a beginner. I plan to buy spore syringes and then make MAE agar and then make Karo LC's with each strain. How much myc (cc's) should I noc up the WBS with? I have huge tubs, and I certainly want the largest, most potent yields possible.

Thanks in advance. If something doesn't make sense... please ask!

Offlinemycomed02
Stranger

#9155588 - 10/29/08 06:16 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

bump

InvisibleJ3illy
Trainee

#9155602 - 10/29/08 06:19 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

If you're just starting I def wouldn't do 10-12 large tubs.. What if they all go wrong? Start with 1 or 2, and get the hang of it..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order