Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinecowchips902
Stranger
Male

Re: So I'm in the market for a belief system... [Re: blewmeanie]
    #9165973 - 10/31/08 07:45 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

swell choose! ^_^

--------------------
:mushroom2: The One That Became Many is Becoming One Agin! :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDervish
Stranger

Re: So I'm in the market for a belief system... [Re: myriadeyes]
    #9166211 - 10/31/08 09:45 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Original copy of Bible had been lost, there were a dozen of written decades later. Iznik council banned all but four at the year 325 AD. So there is little original words in Bible.

Quran is the words of God, not a single letter of it has been changed.

Islam is very logical, all your objections to catholic religion has been met well in Islam.

You should read something before objecting it or ask somebody with a open mind. I'm ready to discuss about Islam. But the aim of discussion should not be the victory of one's mind over others. Discussion is to made to reach the truth. With a clean, open, demanding mind.

Truth is a gift by God given to these seeking it with humble heart. God hates haughty, arrogant, over-inflated egos.

Edited by Dervish (10/31/08 09:47 PM)

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: So I'm in the market for a belief system... [Re: Dervish]
    #9166335 - 10/31/08 10:45 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dervish said: But the aim of discussion should not be the victory of one's mind over others. Discussion is to made to reach the truth.

And sometimes one's own mind holds the truth.  Isn't it then natural to claim all other beliefs as wrong?

:strokebeard:

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: So I'm in the market for a belief system... [Re: deCypher]
    #9166360 - 10/31/08 10:55 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Possibly, but that really depends on what the "truth" is.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: So I'm in the market for a belief system... [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #9167748 - 11/01/08 11:12 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:

Icelander said:
I'm really in to fish:thumbup:  It's been one of the few constants in my life.

Nothing beats torturing lower life forms with barbed steel.

Oh I agree. But then I don't buy factory tortured meats at the grocery store. Or go out and eat meat at restaurants. So maybe I'm still ahead of you in the holyier than thou dept.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
Re: So I'm in the market for a belief system... [Re: Dervish]
    #9167768 - 11/01/08 11:17 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

My favourite bit of the bible is the stuff about the hookers.

"Yet she increased her prostitution, remembering the days of her youth when she engaged in prostitution in the land of Egypt. She lusted after their genitals as large as those of donkeys, and their seminal emission was as strong as that of stallions." book of ezekiel

Holy as fuck

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: So I'm in the market for a belief system... [Re: mr_kite]
    #9167775 - 11/01/08 11:19 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Guess the bible isn't all rubbish.:D

--------------------

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
Re: So I'm in the market for a belief system... [Re: Icelander]
    #9168113 - 11/01/08 01:11 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Its about Israel, not prostitution........still sexy though:naughty:

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: So I'm in the market for a belief system... [Re: cowchips902]
    #9169243 - 11/01/08 05:45 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cowchips902 said:
Cosmic consciousness is the concept that the universe is a living superorganism with which animals, including humans, interconnect, and form a collective consciousness which spans the cosmos

we are one being playing a game with its self where it makes it seem like there are others but realy its all just you.(or me) :grin:

i am you and you are me.
we or one.

This I like, but what good is it?  Do I reap any tangible benefits from believing this?

--------------------

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

#9169286 - 11/01/08 05:55 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe thinking about gaining anything is the wrong way to go about it

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#9169293 - 11/01/08 05:56 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I have to have some reason for adopting a belief system, though.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#9169434 - 11/01/08 06:31 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Fuck that, adopt a dog or cat.

--------------------

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Re: So I'm in the market for a belief system... [Re: Icelander]
    #9169521 - 11/01/08 06:53 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Adopt a quirky new accent or hairstyle.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#9169575 - 11/01/08 07:04 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

How 'bout a toupée and a French poodle?

--------------------

Offlineyoubreakyoubuy
Monkey Mouth
 User Gallery

#9169775 - 11/01/08 07:59 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The Cypher said:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/g484435055217w1p/

Abstract  Most clinical studies examining the relation between religion and blood pressure status have focused on church attendance, finding lower pressures among frequent attenders. The present study examines the effect on blood pressure status of a religious meaning variable, importance of religion, both by itself and together with frequency of church attendance. The relation between blood pressure, self-perceived importance of religion, and frequency of church attendance was examined among a rural sample of 407 white men free from hypertension or cardiovascular disease. The data confirmed an interaction between the effects of both religious variables on blood pressure status, with importance of religion having an even greater association with lower pressures than church attendance. Diastolic blood pressures of persons with high church attendance and high religious importance were significantly lower than those in the low attendance, low importance group. These differences persisted after adjusting the analyses for age, socioeconomic status, smoking, and weight-height ratio (Quetelet Index). The difference in mean diastolic pressures based on response to the religious importance variable alone was statistically and clinically significant, particularly among men aged 55 and over (6 mm) and among smokers (5 mm). These findings suggest that both religious attitudes and involvement may interact favorably in their effects on cardiovascular hemodynamics.
Funding for this study was provided by the Department of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill; the Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development, Duke University Medical Center; and the Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center, Durham, North Carolina.
:grin:

--------------------
Let that which doesn't matter truly not matter.

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
Re: So I'm in the market for a belief system... [Re: youbreakyoubuy]
    #9169783 - 11/01/08 08:01 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

youbreakyoubuy said:
Quote:

The Cypher said:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/g484435055217w1p/

Abstract  Most clinical studies examining the relation between religion and blood pressure status have focused on church attendance, finding lower pressures among frequent attenders. The present study examines the effect on blood pressure status of a religious meaning variable, importance of religion, both by itself and together with frequency of church attendance. The relation between blood pressure, self-perceived importance of religion, and frequency of church attendance was examined among a rural sample of 407 white men free from hypertension or cardiovascular disease. The data confirmed an interaction between the effects of both religious variables on blood pressure status, with importance of religion having an even greater association with lower pressures than church attendance. Diastolic blood pressures of persons with high church attendance and high religious importance were significantly lower than those in the low attendance, low importance group. These differences persisted after adjusting the analyses for age, socioeconomic status, smoking, and weight-height ratio (Quetelet Index). The difference in mean diastolic pressures based on response to the religious importance variable alone was statistically and clinically significant, particularly among men aged 55 and over (6 mm) and among smokers (5 mm). These findings suggest that both religious attitudes and involvement may interact favorably in their effects on cardiovascular hemodynamics.
Funding for this study was provided by the Department of Public Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill; the Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development, Duke University Medical Center; and the Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center, Durham, North Carolina.
:grin:

Meditation, or a daily aspirin will do the same thing, without all the bullshit.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Offlineyoubreakyoubuy
Monkey Mouth
 User Gallery

#9169939 - 11/01/08 08:40 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

The Cypher didn't specify about a reason sans bullshit.  Besides, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

(Offtopic)
Anybody besides myself ever notice how religion sparks such strong reactions in people in this forum?  I know this may be sort of an inherent property of colliding worldviews, but still.

--------------------

Edited by youbreakyoubuy (11/01/08 08:49 PM)

Invisibleblewmeanie

Folding@home Statistics
Re: So I'm in the market for a belief system... [Re: youbreakyoubuy]
    #9170030 - 11/01/08 09:05 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

youbreakyoubuy said:
The Cypher didn't specify about a reason sans bullshit.  Besides, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

(Offtopic)
Anybody besides myself ever notice how religion sparks such strong reactions in people in this forum?  I know this may be sort of an inherent property of colliding worldviews, but still.

Every time I post my opinion of Christianity, or the concept of god in general, I get 2 or 3 5 mushroom ratings, and usually one or two people putting me on ignore. I actually just got 2 more people ignoring me very recently. :blush:

Religion is basically the totality of ones viewpoint, anything contradicting it can be maddening for some people.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Offlineyoubreakyoubuy
Monkey Mouth
 User Gallery

#9170295 - 11/01/08 10:21 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I agree that folks don't take it too well when their fundamental metaphysical reality is under siege.
:stickemup: :tongue2:

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

#9170564 - 11/01/08 11:47 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Religion is basically the totality of ones viewpoint, or is it the totality of ones viewpoint his religion?

Earlier you said something about the "non-religious" jew that I found pretty interesting, and this is kind of how I tend to see things (kind of backwardsly but youll see). It sounds alot like what I have read about Hinduism, and this is the way I actually see all religions.

I suppose this arises partly due to my refusal to accept its counterpart, this concept culture, humanity as some pallid blob on a petri dish. If culture actually was such a "scientific" attempt to objectify humanity and art, I would be all for it. People often misinterpret my rhetoric for my having some dear meaning that I wish to keep hidden and sacred, and so mistaken my religiosity for this kind of weakness.

But on the contrary, my problem is in fact the lack of such criticism. The realm of culture is much less (a positive) objectivity, than the active repression of opinions for the sake of political correctness. I on the other hand WOULD be so inhumane to say I like some music better than other, and then I might sincerely hope whoever is playing that shit I don't like, shuts up so I don't have to listen to it. (of course, play whatever you want out of earshot) You might call this religious hate, but I call it my discriminating intellect. This is my religiosity.

Now if you follow me, I should also mention that I realize certain religions take there shit way too seriously, and totally fuck up the world. Indeed this is my # 1 problem as well! But I do not know how to deal with this problem. I have learned that my terms of expression cannot enlighten crazy christians, and I have also noticed other's "good intentions" which I recognizes as directed hate. For this reason, and because I can deal with the dogma in my own arena, are reasons I will typically be seen arguing "for religion".

But fundamentally it is the previously mentioned "genres" of the world. You say throw out your Christianity, but there is alot taken for granted in this sweep of what you might simply refer to as just dogma. My mom is a pretty hardcore christian, but I recognize that Christianity is my Mom. Shes enlightened in her own way, and I am open to this kind of enlightenment pretty much anywhere.

The militant atheists drive me up a wall, even though I also more inclined to "nothingness" than anything else. In a certain sense, I get angry because people are bastardizing my own beliefs (yes I recognize them as beliefs). They take my own existential issue and make it sound easy: As if the statement or idea that "I don't believe in God" dispels all dogmas, and that athiesm is the "sensible" solution that we should all choose for our own enlightenment. In this forum you will find countless athiests preaching this, but you will never find one to admit that they believe in anything at all! To all those who profess they believe "in nothing", who usually demonstrate themselves as anything but zen masters, and I am essentially saying that it is easier said than done.

I can see from what you previously said, that you at least recognize a connect between culture and religion. I just happen to go a step further and call them the same thing. This is why I can't agree with the sweeping out of religion Its all religion in my opinion. I would like to get rid of the bullshit too, but you know where mushrooms grow don't you?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract