Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegaladar

Loc: in a monotub!
Re: pf tek success rate? [Re: Grylls]
    #7858246 - 01/10/08 08:59 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Grylls said:
I don't have the luxury of a glovebox, so I wipe everything with alcohol: my hands, jars, syringe, alcohol bottle, counter top and the lighter. I use latex gloves and wipe them down too before each jar. I flame the needle for each jar and cover the hole with a cosmetic cotton pad moistened with alcohol right before insertion. I replace pad and get a band aid ready to stick over the hole. I then put the jars into a semi-sterile environment for incubation.

So far, my first 5 jars have been 100% free of contaminants. I just knocked up 5 more. Let's see how they go.

im no fan of flaming and then holding in cotton. you can just drop that and be more speedy and efficient by sticking a glowing needle straight into the jar and injecting right away. the substrate and the first drop will cool the needle. dont worry.
inoculations all about being speedy and effective.
and please make a glovebox. its a gift of god.

Edited by galadar (01/10/08 09:00 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekupa trooper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: pf tek success rate? [Re: galadar]
    #7858336 - 01/10/08 09:31 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

a still air box is what i use very inexpensive to make and works great. i have only one grow under my belt with 12 PF jars and no contams. so my suggestion is get a still air box at least good luck man

--------------------
I don't know but I've been told. It's hard to run with the weight of gold                                                                  On the other hand I heard it said. It's just as hard with the weight of lead.

Offlinekyleda1kid
Student (here tolearn)
Male

Re: pf tek success rate? [Re: Grylls]
    #7858352 - 01/10/08 09:37 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for all the input. Okay yes the jars get contaminated after inoculation, They start of fine nice patches of white at innoc. sites then they turn bad. (not all of them just a few go bad.) When a jar does go bad it looks like the contam area is alot wetter and darker then contams hit. I get cobweb to green spots and also golden spots that turn yellow. It does seem like the top layer of dry verm gets wet. Which i put a 1/4-1/2 inch at most of dry verm for a 1/2 pint jar. I put masking tape over holes and foil over jars before i put them in the PC though. I get a direct syringe from ralphsters no prints. I also use a glove box to inoculate in. I only use about a half inch of water in the pressure cooker. enough to cover the bottom 4 jars about 1/4-1/2 way. other 4 jars are stacked on bottom 4.

Offlinegaladar

Re: pf tek success rate? [Re: kyleda1kid]
    #7858363 - 01/10/08 09:43 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

bleach water man. spray that shit everywhere. into your glovebox all over your work and everything. it wont bleach any carpet or clothes but i love over doing bleach water since its so cheap to make.
oh and add 3/4th inch dry verm and yes it gets wet for a bit then doesnt get wet after that.

Edited by galadar (01/11/08 12:14 AM)

OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

#7858368 - 01/10/08 09:44 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

galadar said:
tips to stay good for the pf tek.
-wipe lip of your jars. a good 1/2-3/4 inch
-have some micropore tape over holes, just so you create the smallest possible hole with the needle.
-use a gloveox
-make a 10:1 bleach and water spray and youll be good. spray this shit everywhere. the air, the surfaces, alot inside your glovebox lol. i wear something over my mouth and nose so i dont inhale like a dumbass and burn my throat. works better than any lysol and has no smells. well a little. i like 9:1 better.

and dont know if this helps, but i micropore tape again after inoculation. and then whel my cakes are 50% colonized( a bit stronger) i take off all tape.

100% rate here about 30 pf jars in
grains is another success story =]

:thumbup:

Invisibleshaggydogman
Stranger

Re: pf tek success rate? [Re: Fraggin]
    #7858472 - 01/10/08 10:12 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Blutjager put me onto the quickest still air box in history.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7010843#Post7010843

I do that with a plastic tub (quite big) and it works a treat.
Just flip over a tub and hang it of of the edge of a table. Genius :smile:

edit: sorry just re read that you use a glovebox. Please ignore me!!! :smile:

--------------------
Rye -- WBS | Grain LC -- G2G | Bulk -- Monotub | 50/50 -- Late Casing -- A Pinning Strategy
Disclaimer: My opinion is subject to change at short notice subject to but not limited by new information and knowledge being made available.

Edited by shaggydogman (01/10/08 10:16 AM)

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: pf tek success rate? [Re: shaggydogman]
    #7860316 - 01/10/08 04:03 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I'd say that you might have a really high spore load in your area. When you flame the needle it can suck contams back into it as it cools. Try to get a little faster and smoother with your sterile technique.

You also don't want to be taping the holes of the jars. If they get sealed airtight they will suck in a bunch of contammed air when you pop the tape. Also make sure that you keep your jars off the bottom of the PC. That will help with water content.

-FF

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: pf tek success rate? [Re: shaggydogman]
    #7864496 - 01/11/08 11:16 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

shaggydogman said:
Blutjager put me onto the quickest still air box in history.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7010843#Post7010843

I do that with a plastic tub (quite big) and it works a treat.
Just flip over a tub and hang it of of the edge of a table. Genius :smile:

edit: sorry just re read that you use a glovebox. Please ignore me!!! :smile:

Ha ha,I was just going to post that:hehehe:

OfflineP.Menace
Contradicting the Status Quo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Let Me See Potato Salad!!...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: pf tek success rate? [Re: Blutjager]
    #7864962 - 01/11/08 01:02 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

I PC 90 min @ 15 psi. No exceptions on time, I use a positive flow glove box with small hepa filter, flame needles, use lysol, dry verm layer, hand sanitizer and all of the sterile procedure, first grow 90% 2 of 24 contamed, now since 2 grows later, made 181 and I have had 100% success on the last grow and so far this LARGE one too

--------------------

http://www.sporeworksgallery.com/Cubensae/Psilocybe_cubensis_Menace

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

Offlinegaladar

Re: pf tek success rate? [Re: P.Menace]
    #7865018 - 01/11/08 01:20 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

micropore tape does not create a vaccuum. and also, if you inject while glowing, there will be no contams to suck in when it cools

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #7868399 - 01/12/08 09:06 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

He said masking tape, not micropore tape.

> I put masking tape over holes and foil over jars before i put them in the PC

> if you inject while glowing, there will be no contams to suck in when it cools

That was kind of my point. I should have been a little more clear on that I guess.

-FF

OfflineRevival
Stranger

Re: pf tek success rate? [Re: fastfred]
    #9147476 - 10/28/08 10:40 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i know this is dead but there was never a reply of 100% success by this guy and no one mentioned the technique i always use that is cheap and easy as hell:

I PC at 12-15psi for 45-50 mins no exceptions and let the jars cool down until i can touch them without killing my hands, take them out and twist down tite the rings on the lids (which have four holes with electrical tape on them)
this creates a nice little vacuum in some of them (not always it depends on how hot the jars are etc.. but you gotta get to them and tighten them down before they are cold)

i then let them sit out in a room over night.
the next day i preheat my (clean) oven to the lowest temperature it can go to. (mine is 170F) and as its heating i bomb my kitchen with Lysol air spray
i come back after its done heating in clean clothes with a shirt tied over my mouth and nose, a heat sterilized needle on the syringe with 90% Iso'd paper towel holding the needle. I Open my oven and put the jars on a rack (its really not very hot to the touch) that is barely pulled out of the oven (im practically reaching into the oven though you could really do it on the door. sometimes i do and pretty much the same success rate which is 90+%) and peel back each piece of electrical tape one at a time and immediately insert the needle, inoc. pullout immediately wrapping it again in the paper towel (that has iso on it) and pushing the tape back down right as soon as the needle is clear of the hole.

^^do that and its actually very very hard to fail. I remember the guy that told me this (several years back on here) he told me he did experiments/bets with his friends on how long he could keep an OPEN jar without getting contams. Ive done the same a few times and its very hard to fuck it up.

In home flow hood FTW

my 2ยข :smile:

_Rev

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: pf tek success rate? [Re: Revival]
    #9147514 - 10/28/08 10:47 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Make sure your jars are out of the water, its the steam that sterilises the substrate.

Ignore any advice on bleach bombing everything. Its unessesary, simply clean your glovebox with soapy water. You can spray the walls damp, any contaminants will fall to the bottom, the wet surfaces will help keep them there.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: pf tek success rate? [Re: Revival]
    #9147593 - 10/28/08 11:06 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

the next day i preheat my (clean) oven to the lowest temperature it can go to. (mine is 170F)

The oven tek has for many years been proved to be totally bunk.  If you succeeded, it was in spite of what you did, not because of it.

NEVER use that silly oven tek.  It increases the chances of contamination by many fold due to turbulence and the low pressure area created by the heat.  Use a still air box for second best results, or a laminar flow hood for best results.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder