Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Sawdust Spawn, Outdoor Growing, Contamination
    #9125245 - 10/24/08 05:31 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, contamination!

I really need a dedicated work space that I can keep clean.  One of my bags of pioppino spawn has a couple of spots of black spored mold on it.  I dumped some H2O2 solution into the bag over these spots to kill off the spores and I haven't seen any NEW spots, but it's only been a couple of days.

I hate tossing anything out, and I've had some success with saving projects by putting them outdoors, which is where this spawn was going to go anyways.  Can I still use it to inoculate logs?  The rest of the bag is colonizing nicely!  I'm just concerned that if I get any of this mold in the inoculation sites, it will eat the pioppino mycelium.  I plan on burying the logs once I've inoculated them.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sawdust Spawn, Outdoor Growing, Contamination [Re: Paresthesia]
    #9125329 - 10/24/08 06:40 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

IMO, yes it will work, provided that you cut out the affected area (if possible) and that you are able to keep it out.  Do you have a photo of the mold?

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: Sawdust Spawn, Outdoor Growing, Contamination [Re: solumvita]
    #9125715 - 10/24/08 09:35 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Nooo!  If I photograph the mold, it will live on in digital format and contaminate my camera!

There are two small spots of black mold, one about 3mm across, the other about 1cm.  I've been checking it a couple of times a day and I haven't seen more spots.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Invisiblemantid
mycelium runner

Loc: oregon coast
    #9126218 - 10/24/08 11:07 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I have a pioppino block which put out a disappointing yet enthusiastic nice first flush, then a single fruit on the second flush.  Now its seemingly latent, with some greenish mold.  I think part of the problem is simply that I was following the FP instructions, using their bag, instead of a more thoughtful fruiting chamber. 

I was initially planning to bury it with scarred logs and woodchips in the spring, but am wondering if its a liability to keep it around the house all winter.  Should I cut off the moldy surface?  Go ahead and move it outdoors now (it is still not freezing yet, but is getting into the high 30s at night)?

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: Sawdust Spawn, Outdoor Growing, Contamination [Re: mantid]
    #9126740 - 10/24/08 12:41 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

A few people here have managed to reclaim trich contaminated blocks by spraying them down with H2O2 solution (1:10 for the typical 3% H2O2), cutting off the contaimants and spraying the surface down with salt water to desiccate it.  This I have not tried.

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9129421 - 10/24/08 11:12 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

LOL, can't trust them molds! :hehehe:

Well i hope that those spot move no further

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: Sawdust Spawn, Outdoor Growing, Contamination [Re: solumvita]
    #9129613 - 10/24/08 11:59 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

ive separated contaminated wood from colonized wood and further inoculated other substrate without problems.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: Sawdust Spawn, Outdoor Growing, Contamination [Re: CptnGarden]
    #9130587 - 10/25/08 05:06 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I'm going to wait and see what happens.  The peroxide seems to have killed off the spores, and I see fluffy bits of pioppino mycelium creeping over the mold spot.  This is freaking awesome.  I'm beginning to hate black spored mold as much as I hate the accursed tree rats!

Squirrels.  They're attacking my other outdoor grows.  (This may have something to do with growing oysters on decomposing pecans.)  It may be time to put traps out, again.

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

OfflineMycoAu
5thKingdomCome
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9130683 - 10/25/08 06:29 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

mmmm... squirrel and oyster stew....

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: Sawdust Spawn, Outdoor Growing, Contamination [Re: MycoAu]
    #9131140 - 10/25/08 10:20 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MycoAu said:
mmmm... squirrel and oyster stew....

I've taken out a good number of squirrels since last Spring, but I could never bring myself to skin and eat one.  I'm not opposed to the idea, but I wouldn't know where to begin!

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Unites States of Dreams
    #9131739 - 10/25/08 12:58 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Paresthesia said:
I've taken out a good number of squirrels since last Spring, but I could never bring myself to skin and eat one.  I'm not opposed to the idea, but I wouldn't know where to begin!

Skinning Squirrel

Squirrel Recipes

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: Sawdust Spawn, Outdoor Growing, Contamination [Re: denger]
    #9135684 - 10/26/08 06:07 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Woohoo!  Full recovery, as far as I can tell!  After the peroxide soak, it looks as if most of the mold spores have died back and the oxygen boost in the substrate has caused the pioppino mycelium to race past my other blocks.  It's now about 90% colonized, while the others are about 70%.

It's kind of a thrill to watch it eat the mold. :grin:

I have pioppino, lion's mane and oyster sawdust spawn ready for log inoculation now, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to which species would be best for each type of wood.  I have some very dense wood (chinese elm, pecan and maple) and wood that is a bit softer (oak, ash).

Also, is fruiting my sawdust blocks once a problem?  Will using it reduce my eventual yield from the logs?  The blocks themselves are supplemented with CGM at .5% nitrogen, and made with pine (wood pellet) or hickory sawdust, no wood chips.

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9135893 - 10/26/08 08:39 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Paresthesia said:
Also, is fruiting my sawdust blocks once a problem?  Will using it reduce my eventual yield from the logs?  The blocks themselves are supplemented with CGM at .5% nitrogen, and made with pine (wood pellet) or hickory sawdust, no wood chips.

I can not see how that will be a problem, you will still have high nutrient content in the sawdust after one flush, and if it is a problem then maybe you could just make sure that you inoculate twice as much (or some % more) than normal?

Really glad the mold is sorted out, it would be interesting to see if the 70% blocks catch up to the 90% blocks.  If not you can call it the Turbo booster tek :grin:

--------------------

www.mushrush.co.za

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags