Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
something that confuses me
    #913196 - 09/27/02 09:12 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hey all. From what I understand mushroom hunters typically go hunting the day of the thunderstorm or the day after. (Don't worry, this is a cultivation question). That would mean that the mushrooms sprout up like a day or 2 after it has rained cats and dogs. So how come indoor cultivators need to keep their casings damp and in a 95%+ humidity environment and fan for like a week or 2, and THEN lower the humidity to 85% when they see pins?

I thought a casing was supposed to mimic nature. So would it not make sense to keep the casing pretty damp for 2 days (simulating a thunderstorm, minus the thunder and lightning), and then reducing the humidity to 85%, mimic nature more closely? I doubt that the air remains at 95%+ humidity for a week or 2 in nature after it rains. The ground dries up by then. Since a casing is spawned with crumbled fully colonized substrate, the only thing left at that point is fruiting. How come wild mushrooms sprout up so quickly after their "casing" is made very wet by a thunderstorm, but the same cannot be accomplished inside?

I tried searching the forums for this, but I got many many irrelevant links.

Thanks. Mushrooms are incredible interesting. They're so damn elegant!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: something that confuses me [Re: megaman3]
    #913236 - 09/27/02 09:27 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Fruiting occurs so fast outside because the mycelium gets so much water at once. There are some people that dunk casings. But after the dunk, they pat-dry their casings with paper towels. From what it sounds like you are proposing, you just want to flood your casing and letting it evaporate. Well if you do this, the standing water will be a vector for contaminants. It can happen outside because of various conditions that can't be reproduced inside.(I think UV rays from the sun have something to do with it.) Hope this helps.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

#913246 - 09/27/02 09:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

In nature only the strongest mycelia servive, or else all the fields would be covered.  This means they have fought the weather, contaminants, competing fugus and everything else to fruit. In home cultivation, alot of the weak growing fruit will still yeild results if the enviroment is kept sterile to an extent. This includes humidification and watering as well. Some things in nature you just cant duplicate. :laugh:bluhoney 

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Offlinemegaman3
Stranger
Re: something that confuses me [Re: bluhoney]
    #914361 - 09/28/02 07:53 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

bluhoney what you say about only the best mycelia surviving makes a lot of sense to me. I hadn't thought about how wide natural cultures can be. However that didn't answer why the successful ones outside can fruit and mature in 24-48 hours after a heavy rain, whereas the ones inside need a few weeks of tender care. Any ideas on that one?

Skikid16, you say that standing water would be a vector to contamination. Well what about peroxidized water? Or how about cleaning a room to make it extremely sterile, putting the drenched casing in there, and letting it evaporate naturally without entering the room for 2 days? If the room would be equipped with a laminar flow hood, then the casing would get enough air to dry in 2 days. Any thoughts?

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

#916097 - 09/29/02 01:38 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Typically the fields are supersaturated, but they arent flooded yet after heavy rains, so that could explain in theory what your looking for. As for the H20, it would soon turn to plain water if left exposed to air, and light or heat, so you would still be left with water, clean water, but water still. But try it as an experiment, thats how new teks are made around here :laugh: Let us know if it works. bluhoney 

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #916117 - 09/29/02 02:03 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I just don't see the point because I think would be such a pain in the ass keeping it that clean, and it would have to be THAT clean. Then you'd probably have to get a hepa filter, and well my buddy doesn't really have the money for one of those. It just seems like an un-needed extra step. I mean if you want to do it, do it outside. But hell, if you really want to see, I'm not gonna stop you. Shit, I'd like to see the results.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation