Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDannyGlick

The Poisonous Mushroom and Avoiding Misidentification Thread
    #9122504 - 10/23/08 05:33 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Someone brought up the idea of starting a thread like this so I would like to take some initiative.

When I started out hunting Gymnopilus luteus, I almost made a costly mistake with Hypholoma fasciculare because of the great similarity to Gymnopilus luteus while in pin stage.Both were sharing the same log.

Hypholoma fasciculare pins.
Mature.

Gymnopilus is a dangerous genus of mushroom to mess with for the inexperienced.Know what your mistakes are before you make them.Species of Galerina,Hypholoma, Pholiota,Armillaria,and Phylloporus can be easily mistaken for Gymnopilus by an excited amateur.Our Dark Lord forbid, even a Cortinarius growing close to a stump!

Research and be safe.Always ask questions,even if you think it's a dumb question.

Edited by DannyGlick (10/24/08 10:12 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Poisonous Mushroom and Avoiding Misidentification Thread [Re: DannyGlick]
    #9122530 - 10/23/08 05:38 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

OK first off who is this "dark lord" you speak of?

Why were you hunting gymnopilus :uptosomething: those types of actions are not encouraged here;)

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: The Poisonous Mushroom and Avoiding Misidentification Thread [Re: DannyGlick]
    #9122548 - 10/23/08 05:41 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Here is a Conocybe filaris I found in a popular Psilocybe cyanescens patch last year.  Contains amatoxins, deadly.

InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Loc: NY
Trusted Identifier
Re: The Poisonous Mushroom and Avoiding Misidentification Thread [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9122627 - 10/23/08 05:56 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Great thread! Thanks for the pics, Alan. I encourage everyone to post pics in this thread! During my short time at The Shroomery, I've seen too many " Dude, I ate some of these mofos tryin' to get it kickin'" type threads of people consuming before identifying.

Three people died in my state last year from mushrooms like or similar to these "obvious" toxic mushrooms. With contributions of quality photos ...Koraks, Inski, Danny(hint) this could easily be the best poisonous mushroom guide I've ever seen. Thanks.

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: The Poisonous Mushroom and Avoiding Misidentification Thread [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9122654 - 10/23/08 06:01 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Good picture of Conocybe filaris, I found one a couple of weeks ago in ovoid habitat and sometimes the small ovoid caps are very close in color to C. filaris.

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Poisonous Mushroom and Avoiding Misidentification Thread [Re: falcon]
    #9122853 - 10/23/08 06:43 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Poisonous Mushroom and Avoiding Misidentification Thread [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #9122896 - 10/23/08 06:50 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Amanita elliptosperma, section phalloides

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
Trusted Identifier
    #9122986 - 10/23/08 07:06 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

My baeo patch has a Conocybe (Pholiotina) filaris patch near it. I mean a very tighty packed group of them. At least 100 within a 1 foot radius.

I'll snap a pic next time I'm near the patch. My woddchip stuntzii patch also has them close by. It was one of the first poisonous mushrooms I learned to identify.

They are common here in Seattle.

Here's an old pic of the filaris near my stuntzii patch.

--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus olivaceus prints.

OfflineAgent 47
Male

Loc: Western PA Flag
Re: The Poisonous Mushroom and Avoiding Misidentification Thread [Re: BlimeyGrimey]
    #9123509 - 10/23/08 08:39 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Deadly Galerina - Galerina autumnalis

Habitat:

+Growth on wood, often in clusters;
+ Rusty brown spore print (see bottom illustration);
+ Relatively small size;
+ A thin ring or ring zone, which may disappear;
+ Brown to tawny cap that may fade in age.

Other Information

Spore Print: Rusty Brown.

Saprobic on the rotting wood of fallen hardwoods and conifers; growing gregariously, or in clusters (rarely alone); widely distributed; most frequent in fall, but often encountered in spring--and not infrequently found in summer and winter.

Information taken from MushroomExpert.Com®

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Loc: Montana
Trusted Identifier
Re: The Poisonous Mushroom and Avoiding Misidentification Thread [Re: BlimeyGrimey]
    #9123582 - 10/23/08 08:50 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Good stuff Agent 47, happy birthday!  More Galerinas, most Galerinas I find don't have very defined rings, and a lot of times they're not even growing from visible wood.  If this is the case, look for tan gills, and black bruising stems on older specimens.

--------------------

InvisibleDannyGlick

#9123628 - 10/23/08 08:58 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Galerina marginata (previously known as Galerina autumnalis) is a deadly poisonous mushroom belonging to the family Cortinariaceae. Galerina marginata contains the same deadly amatoxin as Amanita phalloides. Symptoms may occur 6-24 hours after eating and include severe abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea which may persist 6-9 hours. Initial symptoms are frequently followed by a lag period up to 24 hours. During this symptomless period toxins are severely affecting the liver resulting in gastrointestinal bleeding, coma, kidney failure and death usually within 7 days after eating. This mushroom has been mistaken for Psilocybe and Gymnopilus by inexperienced "magic"mushroom gatherers because of its similar appearance. Be careful out there kids.

Lookalike species: Pholiota mutabilis (Has downward curled scales on lower half of the stipe. Edible but not recommended.)

cap: 1-4 cm; convex or nearly flat, sometimes slightly bell-shaped; slimy when fresh or wet, otherwise sticky or dry; smooth; brown to tawny brown, sometimes fading to yellowish or tan; the margin finely lined (when fresh and moist).
gills: Attached or slightly deccurent. Will sometimes break away from the stem with age. First yellow,then becoming rust/brown as spores develop.
annulus:  Whitish partial veil covering the gills when young. Ring is white at first,soon becoming dusted with rusty brown spores. Sometimes disappearing with age.
stipe: 2-10 cm long; 3-6 mm thick. Dry; hollow; finely shaggy near the base.
habitat: Saprobic to rotting hardwood and conifer. Single to clustered.
bruising:None.
taste and odor: Mildly bitter. A mealy scent.
season: Found year round. Most common in fall.
spore print: Rust/brown.

Edited by DannyGlick (10/24/08 03:15 AM)

Offlinefliped
The Lost One
Male

Loc: Pacific Northwest
    #9123706 - 10/23/08 09:11 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Very Good Post! It is good for a lot of the novice hunters to see these pictures. Some of them have read and heard about them but many that i have talked to and met have no idea what they actually look like. they just know they can look similar to certain mushrooms.

It would be kind of cool to be able to post side by side comparisons of Psilocyes  and other active / desirable mushrooms and their poisonous look alikes. That take a bit of time I know but just an idea.

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: The Poisonous Mushroom and Avoiding Misidentification Thread [Re: landsnorkler]
    #9123742 - 10/23/08 09:17 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Young Galerinas can be mistaken for Psilocybe azurescens.
Mature Galerinas can be mistaken for Psilocybe cyanescens.

Remember the Golden Rule: If it Bruises Blue and has Purple Spores :print: it's an active Psilocybe mushroom!

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

InvisibleDannyGlick

Re: The Poisonous Mushroom and Avoiding Misidentification Thread [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #9125137 - 10/24/08 03:49 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Bobzimmer said:
Great thread! Thanks for the pics, Alan. I encourage everyone to post pics in this thread! During my short time at The Shroomery, I've seen too many " Dude, I ate some of these mofos tryin' to get it kickin'" type threads of people consuming before identifying.

Three people died in my state last year from mushrooms like or similar to these "obvious" toxic mushrooms. With contributions of quality photos ...Koraks, Inski, Danny(hint) this could easily be the best poisonous mushroom guide I've ever seen. Thanks.

Amanta virosa  Destroying Angel  Secr.

Amanita virosa is a deadly poisonous mushroom of the Amanitaceae family.It contains highly toxic amatoxins, as well as phallotoxins.Symptoms may occur 6-24 hours after ingestion and include severe abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea which may persist 6-9 hours. Initial symptoms are frequently followed by a lag period up to 24 hours. During this symptomless period toxins are severely affecting the liver resulting in gastrointestinal bleeding, coma, kidney failure and death usually within 7 days after eating.However,if medical attention is sought within the first 36 hours of ingestion,most make a full recovery.

Lookalike species : Amanita bisporigera (deadly) also referred to as Destroying Angel.Can be mistaken for Volvariella and confused as being puffballs while in "egg" stage.

cap:2-5" wide,Convex to almost flat.Tacky when wet. White, smooth, center may become a dull tannish/white with age.
gills: White, free, close.
annulus:White,partial veil ring high on the stipe. 
stipe: White, cottony to somewhat pearly, sometimes with a bulbous base.Volva sometimes buried and not visible.
habitat: Forest or natural area, landscape. Solitary or in small groups in mixed hardwood and hardwood/conifer forests.In sandy acid soils.
bruising: none.
taste and odor:Unpleasant odor,something like yeast.Taste mildly like radishes,otherwise not bad.
season: May through October.
spore print: White.

Edited by DannyGlick (10/24/08 10:20 PM)

InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Loc: NY
Trusted Identifier
    #9129019 - 10/24/08 09:03 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the excellent descriptions, Danny. Does anyone have any pics of Deadly Cort (C. gentilis)? Or any other known toxic corts? I've seen pictures in guides, but I'd like to see more.Thanks.

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
Re: The Poisonous Mushroom and Avoiding Misidentification Thread [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #9129046 - 10/24/08 09:11 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

always look thrice

--------------------

OfflineSPANKIE
Stranger
Male

Re: The Poisonous Mushroom and Avoiding Misidentification Thread [Re: notapillow]
    #9129410 - 10/24/08 11:10 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

hello ppl,this is my first post,went out on a hunt today and took some cool pics of this muscaria,found quite a few of them in the area

OfflineSPANKIE
Stranger
Male

Re: The Poisonous Mushroom and Avoiding Misidentification Thread [Re: SPANKIE]
    #9129439 - 10/24/08 11:15 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

by the way i live in PNW salem,oregon

Offlinepsilophile82
stilltrillchillpill>realdeal
 User Gallery

Re: The Poisonous Mushroom and Avoiding Misidentification Thread [Re: SPANKIE]
    #9130737 - 10/25/08 07:33 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Chlorophylum molybdites- large white mushroom, widely distribued, gills fading white to eventually dark green with age. solitary to gregarius in southern lawns. Can cause severe gastrointestinal problems (ie. peeing out your butt for a week). closely resembles several other species during different stages of growth. easily identified with experience.

emetic russula- very common and widely distributed found on forest floor. Can be mistaken for a few other species. very complex genera. Will also cause violent gastro disturbance and repeated vomiting- hence the name "emetic"

Any bolete with orange or yellow pores should generally not be eaten, unless you are guided by an expert, or are an expert in boletes. This is one of the most complex generas and should be treated with caution. Many reported poisinings come from people mistaking one blue staining bolete for another.

More people die from amanita poisinings than all others combined. Some people do eat the ceasar section variates, but to those of you reading this thread, BE VERY CAREFUL WITH ALL AMANITAS INCLUDING MUSCARIA AND CEASAR SPECIES. There is not enough research yet published on the composition attributes and toxin levels in amanitas. These are serious mushrooms- as are all- NEVER EAT UNIDENTIFIED MUSHROOMS

--------------------
"chaos is the nature of order"

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Loc: Osage Cuestas
Trusted Identifier
    #9131203 - 10/25/08 10:48 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Jack O' Lanterns as pictured below (click Omphalotus illudens for description) are quite toxic, causing severe gastrointestinal distress.

Jacks can sometimes be confused with the Ringless Honey Mushroom (click Armillaria tabescens for description) as depicted in these four photos.

Edited by georgeM (10/25/08 10:59 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale