Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: subaeruginascens [Re: nightflyer]
    #10534922 - 06/19/09 03:17 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

nightflyer said:
All those patches must be
bone dry during summer. Does the mycelium maybe
grow new every fall; starting from spores?
It's just impossible that a mycelium can survive several
months of drought in a layer of wood chips of only
one inch thickness.

Most mycelium goes dormant when it dries out. 

The mycelium of all Psilocybe in our area naturally withstands drying out, it does not kill the mycelium.

Quote:

nightflyer said:
Make a test in your own backyard.
A few hot sunny days, a dry wind, and you can use the
wood chips as firewood.

Have you tried reviving the mycelium?  Adding some fresh wood chips and water?

It works.  The mycelium "wakes up".

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: subaeruginascens [Re: CureCat]
    #10534943 - 06/19/09 03:27 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I have managed to turn a pinhead sized dust dry piece of APE veil that was stuck to some tinfoil into live mycelium colonizing jars of grain substrate (the mushroom itself was sterile, so I know it wasn't germinated spores). Fungi are amazing organisms.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Invisiblenightflyer
Male

Loc: Central Europe
Re: subaeruginascens [Re: German Kahuna]
    #10535348 - 06/19/09 07:53 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Have you tried reviving the mycelium?  Adding some fresh wood chips and water?

It works.  The mycelium "wakes up".

No I haven't tried it yet, but I will.
Must be fascinating.

Sorry, that's not from the Bay area, but it's a Bay area species.
Got the spores from a generous shroomery member from SF. :wink:  Thanks!

One of my Psilocybe subaeruginascens patches, created during
March 2009 in central Europe. The wood chips layer is several inches thick,
but the mycelium has already reached the surface. It seems that
Psilocybe subaeruginascens loves the European climate.
Maybe we soon will have a Bay area species in Europe. 
[image][/image]

[image][/image]

--------------------
PSILOCYBE  CYANOFRISCOSA - EUROPE 2009

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11179100

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #10536392 - 06/19/09 12:01 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Yup, that's P. subaeruginascens mycelium all right.  For a species with such vigorous growth, I'm surprised it is not more wide spread.

--------------------

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#10654699 - 07/10/09 08:10 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Nightflyer, that mycelium looks great. It will probably fruit some day, we just don't know when

a few more highlights from this past season..two transplants of my own around San Francisco from years past that showed up last season. I make it a habit to collect loose mycelium from picking out in the field, and then spend some time making new spots in my travels on the bike. I always try to have in my mind places nearby that I remember that might be good for transplants, from previous travels, so that if I find a bunch of mushrooms, I can usually make a side trip and transplant some more mycelium, from those I just picked

It's good to do that when they are still fresh and live, and in season, otherwise take it home and grow it some more

and this next spot..sheesh, right next to the sidewalk, in an office park, although traveled lightly, somewhere in the SF Bay Area. Now one of my better spots, it has been doubling in size each year for the last 3 years and has 100's of meters to go...plenty, plenty plenty of empty wood chip space left to go

but what makes this one great, is the diabolical camouflage with the surrounding foliage. It's so good, I almost have to use a nearby sign post to remember where this is and get me close, because it's hard to see sometimes, even when you're right next to it. You're guess is as good as mine the exact number in these photos...hahah...good luck....It's over 100 tho

this last one is from stand above it looking straight down, with a semi wide angle...it still doesn't capture the whole thing...it's branching out further now

Listen My Friends - Skip Spence, Moby Grape - 1967 - San Francisco

Edited by auweia (07/10/09 10:01 PM)

Invisiblenightflyer
Male

Re: subaeruginascens [Re: auweia]
    #10655927 - 07/11/09 01:18 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Wow!  Those cyans are well camouflaged!      :cool:

I placed some woodchips colonized by Psilocybe subaeruginascens
(from the patch mentioned before) on a piece of wet newspaper:

[image][/image]

--------------------

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#10668167 - 07/13/09 10:04 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

dunno where to put this..The Pub?

Tim Burton new mushroom art

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Tim_Burtons_Alice_in_Wonderland_Mushroom_Concept_Art/5230

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #10671248 - 07/13/09 07:16 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Might get more attention in The Pub.  :shrug:

--------------------

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#10861762 - 08/14/09 08:44 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

last one from this season, for me.

Sometimes p cyanescens hide under bushes, and sometimes they ARE the bush...hehe

This is two different patches (the two largest clumps), which are part of a larger patch of smaller patches surrounding it

this spot is quite scary as it's right next to a police station. Actually security patrol of a major institution, it's literally outside the window of the main office, like 20 feet. Like the cop cars are parked 5 feet away from this photo and it's all in full view out in the open with the mushrooms in this landscaping parking lot island in the middle

Something like this could only possibly work if it's just 1 person and they think it's somebody picking garbage mushrooms, but even then it might not work.

I only picked this once, and there's actually a series of smaller patches surrounding this, so there's about 3 times as much in this spot.  But I went in there and tore it out in about 3 minutes, and spent the next 4 hours doing transplants in different areas nearby, within maybe 10 miles on the bike..Probably about 50 transplants in all

It basically had to be done, because it's only a matter of time before somebody else figures this out, goes ga-ga over it, then there's 10 people crawling, and it's all over for this spot

It is the most diabolical location I have ever seen.I couldn't possible think of a better one the mushroom gods would make a cosmic joke

I have a wide angle view of the spot that shows the whole thing, plus the cop cars parked at the office among these mushrooms...but...that would reveal the location....hehe

maybe someday if I can figure out a way to edit it right

It's about 3 months for the next season in San Francisco to start...90 days or so, but right now fire season is just starting

Big fire in santa Cruz, right now, close to where Alan Rockefeller picked the morels this season from the last fire last season

see ya soon

PS, this is my bike, I've had for over 15 years

currently covered with 'trash/basura' stickers, it's my antidote to the hipster/fixie bike on the scene today. The bike is an original Marin - Pine Mountain - 1989, steel frame. All parts except gear handles, handle bars, and fram have been replaced. This bike went out of print in the early 90's, replaced by newer, light materials that people are just now finding out, breaks
which means this original steel frame is a collectors item

This Marin mounatin bike, with saddle bags carried this torn up load pictured in this post, over 10 miles, easy

the total load was maybe 20 pounds, carried in saddle bags, in back pack, and on top of the rear rack.

A load full of mushrooms, dirt and mycelium, I spent the better part of the rest of the day carefully separating mushrooms from mycelium and dirt and chips, and buried pieces of it over a very wide area in new and old landscaping areas

in the middle of the road meridian woodchip landscaping, in parks, in shopping centers, off the side of the road, places where I knew there was woodchips and a few suprises too

twas ever thus

THAT is a true blue San Francisco bike messenger bike

cheers

Edited by auweia (08/14/09 09:37 PM)

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
    #10862093 - 08/14/09 09:48 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

auweia said:

It is the most diabolical location I have ever seen.I couldn't possible think of a better one the mushroom gods would make a cosmic joke

Lol tell me about.  So you snapped these photos this summer?  That gives a lot o' credit to them cyans.  Thanks for the update sir.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Invisiblenightflyer
Male

#10863948 - 08/15/09 08:45 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

auweia said:

It's about 3 months for the next season in San Francisco to start...90 days or so

Last year I found my first cyan on September 22.
Six weeks to go!

I love those patches near the police station!   

--------------------

Edited by nightflyer (08/15/09 08:48 AM)

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
Trusted Identifier
    #10863974 - 08/15/09 08:56 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I have a feeling the Seattle season might get off to a good early start this year.

Just a gut feeling though.

--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus olivaceus prints.

Offlinedummy
I am you and what I see is me

Re: subaeruginascens [Re: BlimeyGrimey]
    #10864424 - 08/15/09 11:57 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

o god i can't wait. my neighborhood is cyan central. playgrounds FTW!

--------------------
People never seem to know what they least suspect is coming next.

OfflineHopanDubMan
Jelly bomb ass shit....
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: subaeruginascens [Re: dummy]
    #10864444 - 08/15/09 12:02 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Cyans will even grow in PLAYGROUNDS?!
I am a new hunter so any new information I can get about cyans is awesome...

If they actually grow in playgrounds with woodchips...then I am very very excited for the season to START ALREADY!!
:laugh:

--------------------

WakaWaka

Offlinedummy

Re: subaeruginascens [Re: HopanDubMan]
    #10864563 - 08/15/09 12:33 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

no they won't grow in playgrounds because of all the trampling. i mean look in the bushes by playgrounds, especially if there are woodchips.

--------------------

Invisiblecaphillkid
Coquus Boleti

Loc: Jet City
Re: subaeruginascens [Re: BlimeyGrimey]
    #10864805 - 08/15/09 01:34 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

BlimeyGrimey said:
I have a feeling the Seattle season might get off to a good early start this year.

Hope you are right, but not with temps back into the 80s next week.  :sunny:

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
Trusted Identifier
Re: subaeruginascens [Re: caphillkid]
    #10866168 - 08/15/09 06:43 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

caphillkid said:
Quote:

BlimeyGrimey said:

Hope you are right, but not with temps back into the 80s next week.  :sunny:

Yeah, but I still think that the season will start off good. It tends to cool off quick once Sept rolls around.

I'm just hoping the winter isn't as bad as last year. I usually find Psilocybes until late Dec or early Jan. Last year they seemed to stop growing in Nov due to the freezing cold temps that came around.

Though one of my friscosa patches fruited while the first snow was still on the ground.

--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus olivaceus prints.

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Official N. CAlifornia, BAY AREA, (S.F.) thread *Fall 2008-Spring 2009* ((post your finds here!)) [Re: CureCat]
    #10867536 - 08/15/09 10:46 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I just noticed this and don't remember it in the first post from last season. was it added later?

the two photos, yes indeed, it proves that p cyanescens like eucalyptus.

It's one of those odd things, where it's unusual for mushrooms to like a really oily/fragrant wood chip/shaving.

I have been warned by commercial mushroom growers that nearly all edibles that grow out of eucalyptus should be discarded, because they will cause gastrointestinal distress, however this is not the case with p cyanescens

then again, you're taking relatively smaller amounts with cyanescens, so whatever oils is causing the pain, it's at much lower levels

Still, eucalyptus seems to be an exception because most actives, and mushrooms in general, tend to avoid oily fragrant trees, like cedar

Nobody really knows why and I don't recall this phenomena being studied on any level, but I'm thinking Curecat heard it here first a year ago :smile: and decided to test it, and it worked

Eucalyptus is not common in Washington and Oregon, but it is in california. Originally from Australia, it was planted all over california to act as wind breaks and filler for logged areas. Problem is, it grows like a weed here and it's gotten so bad, huge areas like UC Berkeley campus are cutting down and chopping up eucalyptus in massive numbers into...ahem...woodchips

(I've actually met two different Australians traveling to San Francisco over the years, who were experienced with actives down under, and when I showed them the cyans here in Golden Gate Park growing under eucalyptus, they both told me it looks nearly identical to what the see back home)  This could possibly be related to the morphology and continuing adaptation of cyans and 'friscosas'

related species to p cyanescens in Australia are nearly native to eucalyptus, so it's not too much of a stretch to find that american west coast cyanescens have adapted to the tree after all these years, in the San Francisco Bay Area

It;s really strange because most people do not expect any mushrooms under eucalyptus, because most mushrooms don't like it...too oily, too fragrant, yet there they are....

I personally have seen cyans grow out of eucalyptus bulbs in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco...the seeds...the seeds, the oiliest part of it...even dried out and cut up leaves

go figure, but there ya go

you can look up all kinds of info online about Eucalyptus and California..here's one as an example

http://wwwlibrary.csustan.edu/bsantos/section1.htm

personally, I'm happy p cyanescens has adapted to this tree, because it opens up a huge swath of acreage in California......thousands of miles of it, in fact

My first encounter with this was probably about 1990, when I first noticed it growing in eucalyptus. Time will tell how big it eventually gets

one can only imagine

PS, it is extremely unlikley that anyone would get gastro-intestinal distress from any psylocybe cyanescens that grow out of eucalyptus groves in California....because........

the amount needed to cause pain (of the wrong kind) is at least 10 times the amount for the average psychedelic dose (of the right kind)

Quote:

CureCat said:
Long time no talk...

Sorry about that, I've been in transition.  Anyway, I was on my way to the Mycological Society of San Francisco (MSSF) meeting last night and despite my doubt, I decided to just check up on one of my smaller patches from last year.  Upon surveying the wood chips I was slightly surprised to see a pin.  Considering the conditions I assumed it was a Galerina and hastily snapped the stipe and carried the mushroom inside of the museum.  Inspecting the pin more closely, I was shocked to find that it was in fact the first Ps. cyanescens I had found of the 2009 Fall Season! 

This was a pleasant surprise and after showing it around to a few members at the meeting, Alan and I did a more thorough search of the patch.  I spotted 2 more pins and luckily Alan had his digital camera on him, so he was abe to get some habitat shots.  We left the tiniest mushroom to mature, and I had already (unfortunately) picked another, but one of the three pins I transplanted and have relocated to Gron Labs and it seems to have adapted well using moist soil, eucalyptus shavings, and cardboard, in a cut-up, wax Dixie cup!

I will continue to water this mushroom and hope to see it to maturity. 

This marks the beginning of the Fall 2009, Bay Area Mushroom Season!!! 
Once a few more reports have come in, Alan or I will sticky this topic.  So lets get this shit started!!

It is good to be back..... I haven't had a computer of my own since I moved a few months ago, but I hope to be back soon.

These photos were taken with my rather inadequate 2 mega pixel, camera phone, but Alan has some better photos taken from their original habitat so perhaps he will post those shortly.

Edited by auweia (08/15/09 11:58 PM)

Offlinedummy

Re: Official N. CAlifornia, BAY AREA, (S.F.) thread *Fall 2008-Spring 2009* ((post your finds here!)) [Re: auweia]
    #10867701 - 08/15/09 11:16 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

fall '09 growing out of a eucalyptus log;

--------------------

InvisibleburtonRebel
Male

Re: Official N. CAlifornia, BAY AREA, (S.F.) thread *Fall 2008-Spring 2009* ((post your finds here!)) [Re: dummy]
    #10877922 - 08/17/09 07:22 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

strange

--------------------
Wreck yourself before you check yourself

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | Next >

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck