Home | Community | Message Board


Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Delicious Bacon

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery


Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 03/13/01
Posts: 6,218
Loc: Tardy to the Party
Bike couriers
    #9113411 - 10/22/08 01:50 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I was thinking about working as a bike courier in Seattle or Portland. Anyone do this for a living, or have friends who do?


--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male


Registered: 05/18/03
Posts: 13,678
Last seen: 8 years, 8 months
Re: Bike couriers [Re: Crasher]
    #9113473 - 10/22/08 02:02 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

How strong exactly is that prosthetic hand? Can you really ride a bike at high speeds and maneuver well like that? Sorry for bringing up yet another question or comment about your hand, but I find it pretty fascinating.


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery


Registered: 05/13/08
Posts: 27,646
Loc: Flag
Re: Bike couriers [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #9113482 - 10/22/08 02:05 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Id do it here if I could find someone to do it for.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCrasher
αἱρετίζω
Male User Gallery


Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 03/13/01
Posts: 6,218
Loc: Tardy to the Party
Re: Bike couriers [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #9113495 - 10/22/08 02:08 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I've lifted over 80 pounds with a prosthetic arm before it started to become agonizing.

I'm using my kayaking prosthetic for my bike. It has a quick release and about 6" of a palm-like base. I can maneuver just fine in heavy traffic.

I've been riding 100 miles a week for a while now, and having two kids doesn't let me do much more than that.

I just want to make some cash doing what I enjoy.


--------------------
Give me silence, water, hope;
Give me struggle, iron, volcanoes...


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegeedorah
CHOPPN SCIM
Male User Gallery


Registered: 12/01/06
Posts: 446
Loc: Close to the edge
Last seen: 1 year, 11 months
Re: Bike couriers [Re: Crasher]
    #9113645 - 10/22/08 02:52 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I would think that those are probably the two cities it would be the hardest to get that job, but still very doable. I've thought about moving to smaller cities and starting a messenger service in their downtown. Less competition and lower risk of....death.


--------------------


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineIcAnFeeLthErain
How ya like your Chang's Sauce?
Male


Registered: 05/24/08
Posts: 331
Loc: Bright Side of the Road
Last seen: 9 years, 8 months
Re: Bike couriers [Re: geedorah]
    #9114276 - 10/22/08 08:13 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm confused.  What kind of information could possibly be transported by bicycle that couldn't be sent electronically?  Are we talking about products here?  Fill me in.


--------------------
"We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness" -Thich Nhat Hanh

Take your sweet time, everything is a once in a life time experience.

Cakes?  No Thanks.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStedanko
Butter Churner
Male


Registered: 02/27/08
Posts: 269
Loc: Syracuse
Last seen: 6 years, 11 months
Re: Bike couriers [Re: IcAnFeeLthErain]
    #9114289 - 10/22/08 08:19 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Lookup Quicksilver 80's movie with Kevin Bacon

:evildog:


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleblewmeanieS
I'm a teapot User Gallery


Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 10/01/06
Posts: 28,981
Loc: Flag
Re: Bike couriers [Re: IcAnFeeLthErain]
    #9114293 - 10/22/08 08:20 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

IcAnFeeLthErain said:
I'm confused.  What kind of information could possibly be transported by bicycle that couldn't be sent electronically?  Are we talking about products here?  Fill me in.




Legal documents......and lunch.


--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male


Registered: 05/18/03
Posts: 13,678
Last seen: 8 years, 8 months
Re: Bike couriers [Re: IcAnFeeLthErain]
    #9114294 - 10/22/08 08:20 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Contracts, blueprints and court documents mostly. A surprisingly large amount of people still don't trust digital media for important and sensitive documents.


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleblewmeanieS
I'm a teapot User Gallery


Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 10/01/06
Posts: 28,981
Loc: Flag
Re: Bike couriers [Re: geedorah]
    #9114297 - 10/22/08 08:21 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

geedorah said:
I would think that those are probably the two cities it would be the hardest to get that job, but still very doable. I've thought about moving to smaller cities and starting a messenger service in their downtown. Less competition and lower risk of....death.




One of the main benefits of a bicycle messenger is their ability to get around traffic quickly. I dont imagine that you'd have much luck in a small town.


--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLeft Nut City
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Registered: 03/27/01
Posts: 2,360
Re: Bike couriers [Re: blewmeanie]
    #9114301 - 10/22/08 08:26 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

blewmeanie said:
Quote:

geedorah said:
I would think that those are probably the two cities it would be the hardest to get that job, but still very doable. I've thought about moving to smaller cities and starting a messenger service in their downtown. Less competition and lower risk of....death.




One of the main benefits of a bicycle messenger is their ability to get around traffic quickly. I dont imagine that you'd have much luck in a small town.




I think it would be a good idea even in a small city.    Gas costs are a bitch in small cities as well as big cities.

Bike power is far cheaper.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleblewmeanieS
I'm a teapot User Gallery


Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 10/01/06
Posts: 28,981
Loc: Flag
Re: Bike couriers [Re: Left Nut City]
    #9114306 - 10/22/08 08:29 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Left Nut City said:
Quote:

blewmeanie said:
Quote:

geedorah said:
I would think that those are probably the two cities it would be the hardest to get that job, but still very doable. I've thought about moving to smaller cities and starting a messenger service in their downtown. Less competition and lower risk of....death.




One of the main benefits of a bicycle messenger is their ability to get around traffic quickly. I dont imagine that you'd have much luck in a small town.




I think it would be a good idea even in a small city.    Gas costs are a bitch in small cities as well as big cities.

Bike power is far cheaper.



Why would a company hire you, when they can just drive there themselves? Its not about the cost of gas for them, its about how long it takes to get there.


--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male


Registered: 05/18/03
Posts: 13,678
Last seen: 8 years, 8 months
Re: Bike couriers [Re: Left Nut City]
    #9114308 - 10/22/08 08:30 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

But you need to have the demand for getting important documents back and forth within a short distance for it to work. I don't see smaller cities having near need for it like large cities with financial districts.


--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLeft Nut City
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Registered: 03/27/01
Posts: 2,360
Re: Bike couriers [Re: blewmeanie]
    #9114311 - 10/22/08 08:31 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

blewmeanie said:
Quote:

Left Nut City said:
Quote:

blewmeanie said:
Quote:

geedorah said:
I would think that those are probably the two cities it would be the hardest to get that job, but still very doable. I've thought about moving to smaller cities and starting a messenger service in their downtown. Less competition and lower risk of....death.




One of the main benefits of a bicycle messenger is their ability to get around traffic quickly. I dont imagine that you'd have much luck in a small town.




I think it would be a good idea even in a small city.    Gas costs are a bitch in small cities as well as big cities.

Bike power is far cheaper.



Why would a company hire you, when they can just drive there themselves? Its not about the cost of gas for them, its about how long it takes to get there.




Because people are lazy mother fuckers.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineIcAnFeeLthErain
How ya like your Chang's Sauce?
Male


Registered: 05/24/08
Posts: 331
Loc: Bright Side of the Road
Last seen: 9 years, 8 months
Re: Bike couriers [Re: Left Nut City]
    #9114316 - 10/22/08 08:33 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hell yeah, that'd be a sweet gig.  I love riding my bike, it'd be like beasting a gladed ski trail except one where the trees are 12 feet wide and are chasing you.  Too I really would feel stupid for dying for some fat-cat lawyer's cold cut trio.  I think I'll stick to recreational shredding.


--------------------
"We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness" -Thich Nhat Hanh

Take your sweet time, everything is a once in a life time experience.

Cakes?  No Thanks.


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleblewmeanieS
I'm a teapot User Gallery


Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 10/01/06
Posts: 28,981
Loc: Flag
Re: Bike couriers [Re: Left Nut City]
    #9114348 - 10/22/08 09:02 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Left Nut City said:


Because people are lazy mother fuckers.




Your missing the point. Why would I, as the supervisor of "X" dept, at "X" corp. pay you money out of my budget to deliver documents for me, when I can just send an intern, temp employee, or entry level minimum wage go to bitch over there to do it for me?


--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery


Registered: 06/21/05
Posts: 24,570
Loc: FL
Re: Bike couriers [Re: Crasher]
    #9115236 - 10/22/08 02:00 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Crasher said:
I was thinking about working as a bike courier in Seattle or Portland. Anyone do this for a living, or have friends who do?




andyistic is a courier, im not sure if hes a bike courier though.  :shrug:


--------------------


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleblewmeanieS
I'm a teapot User Gallery


Folding@home Statistics
Registered: 10/01/06
Posts: 28,981
Loc: Flag
Re: Bike couriers [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #9115430 - 10/22/08 02:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

Crasher said:
I was thinking about working as a bike courier in Seattle or Portland. Anyone do this for a living, or have friends who do?




andyistic is a courier, im not sure if hes a bike courier though.  :shrug:




Is courier some hip new slang for homosexual? :awesome:


--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery


Registered: 06/21/05
Posts: 24,570
Loc: FL
Re: Bike couriers [Re: blewmeanie]
    #9115503 - 10/22/08 02:53 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

blewmeanie said:
Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

Crasher said:
I was thinking about working as a bike courier in Seattle or Portland. Anyone do this for a living, or have friends who do?




andyistic is a courier, im not sure if hes a bike courier though.  :shrug:




Is courier some hip new slang for homosexual? :awesome:




:lol:


--------------------


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesam420
CertifiedReptilianOverlord
 User Gallery


Registered: 01/14/05
Posts: 3,144
Loc: Scotland
Last seen: 5 years, 6 months
Re: Bike couriers [Re: Crasher]
    #9115720 - 10/22/08 03:30 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Crasher said:
I was thinking about working as a bike courier in Seattle or Portland. Anyone do this for a living, or have friends who do?




Fucking do it man.  In a different life I would have been a bike courier.  Fuck it, if it all goes tits up, I might still move to London and become one.  I think it would be an awesome job and so I vote an enthusiastic YES!


--------------------
:duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead: :duckie: :chickenhead:

i'm a spy huntin rap dinosaur from the future


Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Delicious Bacon

Community >> The Pub

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* i'm riding my bike to class, right?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
tiny_rabid_birds 3,176 67 11/28/07 12:59 PM
by tiny_rabid_birds
* Finally established herein... well by Portland. PyroBurns 916 15 07/16/08 10:31 PM
by Gr8fulJ420
* The I heart my bike thread!
( 1 2 3 all )
impgl
2,938 40 03/04/08 04:07 PM
by impgl
* KJ Sawka is coming to Portland!!!!!! Psy Baba 366 1 05/23/08 04:27 PM
by Gainer
* Cool places to live were one can use a bike
( 1 2 all )
QuantumMeltdown 1,903 21 12/24/06 01:58 PM
by QuantumMeltdown
* Kona KHS bikes? Buddha5254 776 2 08/17/06 02:19 AM
by mick
* I just bought my first road bike spud 796 17 05/09/07 11:51 PM
by Colbadol
* starting salary part time supervisor for UPS? LethalX5 29,880 11 10/07/09 12:36 AM
by Chespirito

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,291 topic views. 13 members, 14 guests and 28 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Print Topic ]
Search this thread:
Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2021 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.074 seconds spending 0.013 seconds on 18 queries.