Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineignuF
Monster Mycologist

Loc: Wonderland
Found these on the way to grandmas house :D
    #910517 - 09/26/02 08:49 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Today I found 2 different types of mushies. (in TN)  Can anyone ID these and tell me if they are edible?  These first ones were only an inch tall.  Solid white all over except for the tan dot on the center of the cap.

These pink ones were a little bigger, the cap was as big as my palm :smile:

Will I die if I eat these?  They smell so good :laugh:

--------------------
All the above information is for microscopic research only! 

Life is short so make a dent in the world so people can tell you were here!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineviscid
dikaryon

Loc: the mycological center of...
Re: Found these on the way to grandmas house :D [Re: ignuF]
    #910539 - 09/26/02 09:01 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

mmmmmm. the second two look like tasty campestris.
agaricus, that is.
BUT i dont know jack. the agaricus that i have found to be of that general appearance are sorta difficult to get directly to species. there are a bunch of 'em white, pinkish to chocolatey gills, little patches here and there in the grass.
if they stain yellow, toss em. if they smell like creosote, toss em.
look in a good field guide.
the few agaricus mushrooms i have found that matched yours AND also smelled sweet, like almonds or anise, didn't stain yellow, and absolutely, positively DID NOT HAVE WHITE SPORES OR A BULB OR SAC AT THE BASE OF THE STEM were pretty damn tasty. i have eaten campestris for sure, and i have also eaten silvicola and augustus.
seriously, smell them. crush a little and smell the flesh up close. if they smell good, they are probably good. no staining yellow.
nice find. i wish i had some, theyre way better than bisporous (store bought)

oh, the first two, all white huys? dunno, hard to see the stuff i need to see, but i prolly wouldn't know anyway. something bad, most likely.
i see you said those last two smelled good, probably agaricus campestris or an ally. good, good good you will not die from eating that mushroom. if it were any similar poisonous species( only in the agaricus genus), it would only give you diarrhea, you'd get better, it wouldn't be happy time, but you'd live. and learn.
peace

OfflineignuF
Monster Mycologist

Loc: Wonderland
Re: Found these on the way to grandmas house :D [Re: viscid]
    #910799 - 09/26/02 10:46 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Here are some more pics!  :laugh:  Found these in a open city lot.  The small field was about 200ft x 200ft.  I went back and raped the field after getting hope of eating these!  :laugh:  They were pretty spaced out but found one spot where about 6 were maybe 1-2ft from each other!  The gills don?t touch the stem and I can?t notice any staining.  I completly broke and pinched some and they remained white.  Also no remains of the veil on the mature ones.  This is good right?  Sweet almost faint almond smell.  Is it better to pick them mature or when the veil starts to break?

--------------------
All the above information is for microscopic research only! 

Life is short so make a dent in the world so people can tell you were here!

Edited by ignuF (09/26/02 10:53 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Found these on the way to grandmas house :D [Re: ignuF]
    #910974 - 09/26/02 11:52 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Your pink and brown gilled mushrooms are Agaricus. To start to identify them accurately we need to know the odor (you've got that - almondy), the appearance of the ring on the stem (please verify on several specimens to see if it always disappears), and the bruising reaction. To bruise it the way they mean in the books, cut one in half vertically, then use the knife edge to scrape the inside of the stem near the base. It may take several minutes for color changes to occur, and they can change from one color to another. If you check every minute for 10 minutes you should know pretty well. Note especially any changes at the very base of the stem.

viscid is correct that Agaricus are very difficult to identify to species accurately. With the information I've requested we should be able to tell you if they're edible or not.

You should note that Agaricus is an unusual genus in that even the edible ones can make some people sick. So, if they're edible, try a small amount (1 teaspoon at most) the first evening so that if you are sensitive to them you won't get too sick. If you don't get sick overnight then go for it. Remember, also, that overeating any kind of mushroom will make you sick, so don't overdo it, and enjoy.

The all white ones I can't see enough detail to identify. A good first step would be making a spore print. One possibility is one of the various small species of Lepiota (the stem shape somewhat suggests this). DO NOT EAT. Some of the small Lepiotas are deadly poisonous, containing the same toxins as the deadly Amanitas. They have caused several fatalities around the world. Obviously, we don't know if they are, but better safe than sorry with these. I guess the easiest way would be if you could get more photos that weren't overexposed on the details of the mushroom. We would need to see both from the top and from the bottom. Finally, could you check for any odor on them? Some of the small Lepiotas have unusual odors.

Happy Mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification