Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemindfudged1134
laughs at yourfour winds
Male

Loc: west coast
neurotransmitter support questions
    #9096186 - 10/18/08 01:29 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i have been taking 50-150mgs of 5-htp nightly for a couple months and have noticed an improvement in general mood and a quicker recovery period in between taking lsd and happier laughier trips. also enjoying the increased amount of sex/action adventure dreams nightly. plus its from all vegetarian sources, which unless im mistaken(which is possible) is not the case with melatonin.

recently at a health food store i came across 4 or 5 different supplements labeled as neurotransmitter support, one that i remember being called sam-e, and a couple containing GABA(s?).

has anyone had any luck finding NT support with positive results?

is it bad or possibly risky to be taking multiple NT supports?

kthx

--------------------
"ordinary people do fucked up things when fucked up things become ordinary"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSavageSporeBeast
thundershowers, thundershowers

Re: neurotransmitter support questions [Re: mindfudged1134]
    #9096235 - 10/18/08 01:46 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

no idea about if its bad or whats really good for you, but i'm interested if anyone knows.

i used to have big problems with sleeping well, and 5-htp and melatonin and valerian root all helped.

Offlinemindfudged1134
laughs at yourfour winds
Male

Re: neurotransmitter support questions [Re: SavageSporeBeast]
    #9096362 - 10/18/08 02:17 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

melatonin and valerian both have a strange effect on me, almost like i feel like im already starting to dream while im trying to fall asleep. almost like it stirs up too much cognitive activity to fall asleep sometimes. 5-htp doesnt give me much of that.

--------------------

Offlinepiracetam
bioanalytical chemist
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX Flag
    #9096443 - 10/18/08 02:38 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

melatonin may signal in peripheral neurons, because it doesn't pass the blood brain barrier very well (neither does GABA). serotonin doesn't pass the BBB well either, so serotonin must be produced centrally for it to signal centrally (most of it isn't, it's synthed/signals mainly in the gut...hence, a "gut feeling")

--------------------
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is just poetry, imagination." ~Max Planck

OfflineDreamSignals
Morphogenetic Truth

Loc: the void
Re: neurotransmitter support questions [Re: piracetam]
    #9096511 - 10/18/08 02:52 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I've always wondered about taking 5-HTP with psychedelic substances. Is it just a "mellow"-er trip, or are the mind-expanding effects also increased?

--------------------

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. (93)
Love is the law, love under will. (93 93/93)

Offlinepiracetam
bioanalytical chemist
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX Flag
Re: neurotransmitter support questions [Re: DreamSignals]
    #9096956 - 10/18/08 04:55 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

that's debatable
5HTP might actually end up being a competitor (as 5HT) for 5HT receptor sites. by taking 5HTP, your adding substrate, so to speak..for serotonin, which receptor sites naturally recognize. serotonin will compete for binding, along with psilocin, LSD, dmt, and other 5HT2A ligands

--------------------
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is just poetry, imagination." ~Max Planck

Offlinemindfudged1134
laughs at yourfour winds
Male

Re: neurotransmitter support questions [Re: piracetam]
    #9097009 - 10/18/08 05:11 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

well dont get me wrong i don't take it with lsd. just before bed each night.

i understand what you are saying about 5htp competing for receptor sites, but what it has 'seemed' to feel like for me was that while on LSD, my brain had a surplus of serotonin to use.  when getting visuals i was having fits of laughter that sent shocks of pleasure though my body. and this was on a hit and a half of the same exact blotter i had taken at least 10 times before, in amounts in excess of 1 1/2. the acid was always great, but just not as pleasurable.
not that you have to take my word for it, but something had changed my trips for the better in the last few months, and 5-htp is the only new addition.

--------------------

OfflinePlasmid
Absent
Male

#9098144 - 10/18/08 10:43 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

IMO, this kind of thing (5HTP, melatonin, "neurotransmitter support") is a waste of money.  You may as well buy sugar pills.

Offlinemindfudged1134
laughs at yourfour winds
Male

Re: neurotransmitter support questions [Re: Plasmid]
    #9101073 - 10/19/08 06:16 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

any specific reason?

--------------------

OfflineZinglons Acolyte
Wizard Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: Andromeda Galaxy
Re: neurotransmitter support questions [Re: Plasmid]
    #9101207 - 10/19/08 06:47 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

5 htp is useful as a sleep aid, i almost always have trouble getting to sleep and it really helps

as a nootropic i havent noticed much though

--------------------
And they wandered off.. nine ways till bedfast.
-----
"And lets pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause theres bugger-all down here on earth!"  -Monty Python's "The Universe Song" from The Meaning of Life
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely considered as a bad move."  -Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
"If the words 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." -Terence McKenna

Offlinemindfudged1134
laughs at yourfour winds
Male

Re: neurotransmitter support questions [Re: Zinglons Acolyte]
    #9101727 - 10/19/08 08:35 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i wasnt under the impression it was a nootropic. i believe it's hydroxylated tryptophan a precursur to serotonin thats classified as neurotransmitter support. same stuff thats present in turkey and cheese and whatever other foods basically. been taking it most nights at around 100mgs and occasionally daytime for months. if it is a placebo effect,just as well. somethings working. i felt the giggles return into my life within two weeks. after 2 or so years of anxious downtime and a constant need for distraction(started watching alot of tv) because quiet time, or even listening to music could lead me into a depressive line of thoughts. thank you placebo effect/5-htp/whatever. and my dreams rule.

i recently ordered some piracetam, which unless im mistaken was the supplement the term 'nootropic' was coined for. im trying to not to expect anything from it and avoid the almost unavoidable placebo factor as much as i can, but i figure it's so far found to be almost free of adverse effects and is non toxic at any dose, so if after a month or so i'm not convinced ill just stop =)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags