Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsilo_Subliminal
Delta
Male

Loc: Dagobah
Preparations..first grow.
    #9090667 - 10/17/08 09:09 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well, ive been following the Cultivation board for a few months now. Being an active member of the hunting forum ive felt a little out of my element with cultivation. But after lots of extensive reading, searching a following many of your grow logs, ive descided to go ahead and give this a shot. Today is pay day for me, so I will be purchasing all of my necessary supplies as soon as i get off work. Being a newb ive descided to go with The PF Tek for Simple Minds. I dont wanna jump into anything to complex for my first attempt. I dont wanna get discouraged because i screwd up somewhere along the way. So im just gonna keep it simple this time.

Id ask if anyone has some advice or pointer to help me out. And let me hold your first responce at bay.

STERILITY STERILITY STERILITY!!!!!! I understand how important it is.
So that aside, any tips on a good strain selection to start out with?
B+, F+, GT??? I was considering any of those 3 and possibly some texan strains. But im not sure if those are choice strains for someone just starting out in this hobby. So i ask the experts.

Also, ive been checking alot of the vendors websites and looking around as the syringes. But I was wondering if anyone knows of any vendors doing a "Buy 1 get 1" sort of deal? Moneys gonna be kind of tight witht his pay check. (Have some more pressing issues financially) And i will only be able to by 1 syringe mabey 2, but thats pushing it. Thus im looking for a way to possibly get a free syringe. Not a must, but it would be nice.

So to recap cause i know this is faily dis-organized and rambling post.

1. Yes, i am a noob. Gonna use PF Tek for Simple Minds
2. I know Sterility is KEY!
3. Any strain suggestions? Considering B+, F+, GT or Texans Strains.???
4. Any vendors offering buy 1 get 1 deal?

Im open to any advice, suggestions, hits, or tips, that you all are willing to share, and i greatly appreciate them.

--------------------
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineneybis
Master of the Custodial Arts

Re: Preparations..first grow. [Re: Psilo_Subliminal]
    #9090691 - 10/17/08 09:14 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

my first grow was with mexican albinos which i had trouble finding on this website, don't think many have grown it. But for the most part a cube is a cube is a cube (and i know you've read that :wink:) The three strains you listed all seem to be good "starting" strains tho, you will have no problems. I don't know of any deals right now but when i bought my Cambodian spore syringe from lilshopofspores in the coupon section i put that i was a member of shroomery.org and they sent me a free Mexican Albino syringe.

anyway, GL and keep us posted!

--------------------
"Why is there so much controversy about drug testing? I know plenty of guys who would be willing to test any drug they could come up with."

InvisibleN8Martinez
Stranger
    #9090771 - 10/17/08 09:29 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The texas and F+ and both good chocies for a beginner. They grow very fast and make large prints.

OfflineEMunch
Male

Re: Preparations..first grow. [Re: neybis]
    #9090797 - 10/17/08 09:35 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

PF Tek using B+ works well for first time growers. Follow the Tek as close as possible and be sterile. Things should work out fine for you.

OfflinePsilo_Subliminal
Delta
Male

Re: Preparations..first grow. [Re: EMunch]
    #9090929 - 10/17/08 10:02 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the input fella's. Ill update later this evening when ive descided on a strain and placed my order. Once everything arrives and im ready to beging this project, ill post a link on this thread to the grow log/journal if anyone wants to follow my progress, and mabey givce me some advice my or correct me if I make a mistake somewhere along the way.

--------------------

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#9090936 - 10/17/08 10:03 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I am new myself, and my first strain is the Golden Teacher... That is what I am currently working with. No problems so far. :wink: good luck man!!

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

OfflineTyoma
Stranger

#9090950 - 10/17/08 10:05 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Ralphsters has a fantastic four deal that you get a strain of the month free right now, check him out.

OfflinePsilo_Subliminal
Delta
Male

#9090966 - 10/17/08 10:07 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Ok so i just check the lilshopofspores.com website. They have a 2 for 1 deal going on the theres a catch, and a hell of a catch it is....

"Here's the deal! Get 2 spore syringes for the price of 1.

We'll choose 2 of our favorite Psilocybe cubensis strains for you for just $16.95.

Sorry, no substitutions allowed with this special. "

Do i leave it to the mercy of the vendor, or is there just to much room for disaster here. Id hate to end up with some crazy ass exoctic strain that takes and experts skill to grow. But at the same time perahps this is a chance for me to get some knowledge with other strains.
What do you guys think?

--------------------

OfflinePsilo_Subliminal
Delta
Male

#9091465 - 10/17/08 12:11 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Any input?

--------------------

OfflineMycoAu
5thKingdomCome
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9091522 - 10/17/08 12:26 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

PM me

InvisibleShr00mZ
Space Invader

Re: Preparations..first grow. [Re: MycoAu]
    #9091553 - 10/17/08 12:36 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

pay a extra $10.. or so. I imagine vendors give people whatever they stockpiles of. sporeworks does 4 syringes for like $50. thats a great deal. Try a couple different strains. One that you like the best will stick out. Make prints of all them. Try to make your own syringe. Then expand your research to cloning and LCs. Then try some bulk.

--------------------

OfflinePsilo_Subliminal
Delta
Male

Re: Preparations..first grow. [Re: Shr00mZ]
    #9091581 - 10/17/08 12:48 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Shr00mZ said:
pay a extra $10.. or so. I imagine vendors give people whatever they stockpiles of. sporeworks does 4 syringes for like $50. thats a great deal. Try a couple different strains. One that you like the best will stick out. Make prints of all them. Try to make your own syringe. Then expand your research to cloning and LCs. Then try some bulk.

What exactly is a LC i know it stands for Liquid Culture ( i think :confused:) but what excatly is it? Can you sum it up in a nutshell for me?

--------------------

OfflineMycoAu
5thKingdomCome
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #9091608 - 10/17/08 12:58 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Basically, it is an autoclaved (pressure cooked) solution of one or more sugars or completely soluble material that acts as a food for actively growing mycelium.  Instead of growing on a two-dimensional surface as in agar culture, you are growing in a liquid medium in three dimensions.  It is a great way to produce lots of inoculate with actively growing mycelium.  However, to utilize liquid culture, you must have flawless technique because even the slightest contamination will spread to the entire culture overnight, causing you to lose the whole culture (unlike agar, which usually takes a few days to completely contaminate once exposed and is often able to be recovered).

OfflinePsilo_Subliminal
Delta
Male

Re: Preparations..first grow. [Re: MycoAu]
    #9091641 - 10/17/08 01:11 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Ahhhh that makes sence. Once the mycelium has begun to grow, do you just use the liquid inside of the culture or do you acctually have to use the myc. itself?

--------------------

OfflinePsilo_Subliminal
Delta
Male

#9091815 - 10/17/08 01:59 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

After doing some more reading im thinking about changing my plans just a little bit. Im still gonna use the "PF Tek for Simple Minds" but intead of sticking with the cakes, im considering use a casing tek. Adding 1/4-1/2 in of moist verm. to either rubermaid container's or aluminum cooking pans prolly gonna be 9 X 11 size. Then breaking up the colonized cakes, speading over the verm. Then i plan on casing with a 2:1 Coir to Verm mix. Is the a good idea? Is it a task that would be difficult for a beginner? If i have my number right and the procedure down then i see no reason that this shouldent work. Input? Ideas, thoughts suggestions???

--------------------

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
    #9091861 - 10/17/08 02:13 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

You don't use coir for casing, you use it as a bulk substrate, which you can spawn with crumbled cakes. I just posted a thread about it because I am about to do the same thing, spawning cakes to coir.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

OfflinePsilo_Subliminal
Delta
Male

Re: Preparations..first grow. [Re: dead]
    #9091932 - 10/17/08 02:27 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Should i crumble the cakes on top of a layer of verm, then add a layer of coir and verm on top of the crumbled cakes?

--------------------

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
    #9092915 - 10/17/08 05:44 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

RR recommends not casing coir trays, so I'm going to leave verm out of the equation alltogether...

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Preparations..first grow. [Re: dead]
    #9092989 - 10/17/08 06:06 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Theres no benifit to crumbling and casing cakes. Leave them as cakes or crumble and spawn to a bulk sub like coir.

As for strain, theres the strain thread. But as strain goes, there isnt 1 that is better suited for beginers, that is faster coliniser or more contamination resistant. They all grow in the same conditions. Pick any one you like.

Sterility, use a glovebox for inoculations. Latex gloves (look at your hands under a microscope at 10X magnifications, particularly your finger nails and youll see how dirty it is even after washing)

Flaming your needle red hot before inoculating each jar is very important as is wiping the jar lid with alcohol.

www.mushroomvideos.com

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflinePsilo_Subliminal
Delta
Male

Re: Preparations..first grow. [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9093198 - 10/17/08 06:54 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
Theres no benifit to crumbling and casing cakes. Leave them as cakes or crumble and spawn to a bulk sub like coir.

As for strain, theres the strain thread. But as strain goes, there isnt 1 that is better suited for beginers, that is faster coliniser or more contamination resistant. They all grow in the same conditions. Pick any one you like.

Sterility, use a glovebox for inoculations. Latex gloves (look at your hands under a microscope at 10X magnifications, particularly your finger nails and youll see how dirty it is even after washing)

Flaming your needle red hot before inoculating each jar is very important as is wiping the jar lid with alcohol.

www.mushroomvideos.com

Ok heres what i dont understand. Contrary to what you just said... the FAQ defines casing as....

The term "casing" as it is used in the mushroom cultivation is the method by which substrate (either PF style cakes or colonized grain or colonized compost or dung or straw...) is crumbled into suitable pieces if necessary, and covered with a non-nutritive layer such as peat, vermiculite, coco coir or different mixtures of the previous with various additives.
Casing is a simple process: You layer and level the substrate to an appropriate container and cover with your casing layer.

Im confused....:confused:

So if what your saying is true then casing holds no benefit whatsoever and its a waste of time.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder