Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Loc: Denver Colorado
Anyone use the mushroom for depression?
    #9084947 - 10/16/08 01:27 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I have a friend, seriously, who I think would benefit from a low dose of shrooms. Of course, way back in the olden days (late 90's) when I was knee deep in this, I was always pushing the envelope and I have no practical experience with using them in such a way. I've read up on it quite a bit, and it seems like this might be just the thing, he just needs a "slump buster".

I'd appreciate any thoughts or feelings about this subject, along with recommended dosages, as the only two I knew of were "Lots" and "More".

Thanks all!

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblehyperspore
Hyperspherical spore
Male

Loc: Desert
Re: Anyone use the mushroom for depression? [Re: whattheheck]
    #9085125 - 10/16/08 02:53 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

A mushroom experience, as you know, is temporary, and whatever issues your friend is dealing with will still be confronting him when it's over.  If you know your friend and his issues well, and all he really needs is a "slump buster," then go for it; an eighth of good psilocybin mushrooms in a sublime setting could easily enliven his soul and gladden his heart.

Offlinedarkczar
The Stage Whisperer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Anyone use the mushroom for depression? [Re: hyperspore]
    #9085153 - 10/16/08 03:25 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, that sounds cool.  I wouldn't set the guy up by telling him he shouldn't take too high a dose, though.  You know at 3 hours in that's the only thing he'll be thinking about.

Another suggestion - I've been taking SAMe and 5-HTP.  The SAMe definitely is a great mood lifter.  I take the 5-HTP at night b/c it makes ya drowsy, whereas the SAMe can make it harder to sleep.  5-HTP takes like 2 weeks+ to kick in I think.

--------------------
God is my designated driver.

Offlinelivingthelife
Stranger
Re: Anyone use the mushroom for depression? [Re: darkczar]
    #9085170 - 10/16/08 03:51 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

There is no drug fix for a depression. It is very risky taking psychedelics if you're sad, there is a greater chance it might trigger a psychosis.

He needs to fix it himself, with the help of other human beings! :laugh:

Edited by livingthelife (10/16/08 04:23 AM)

Invisibleslacker008
Resident Psychiatrist
 User Gallery

Loc: A wave of reality.
Re: Anyone use the mushroom for depression? [Re: livingthelife]
    #9085647 - 10/16/08 09:18 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

livingthelife said:
There is no drug fix for a depression.

InvisibleAbnormal
Gamma goblin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bat country
Re: Anyone use the mushroom for depression? [Re: slacker008]
    #9085670 - 10/16/08 09:27 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

slacker008 said:
Quote:

livingthelife said:
There is no drug fix for a depression.

After frying my brain with way too much X a while when i was about 18 (up to 50 a week), I got VERY depressed, with psychotic/bi-polar tendesies. I've been on a variety of anti-depressants (SSRI's) and anti-psychotics, but what helped me the most was when i quit taking those drugs, and started shrooming again.

@OP: Sound like a good idea to me, speaking of experience as mentioned above. Start out low, and let him be the judge from there.

Edited by Abnormal (10/16/08 09:29 AM)

Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

Re: Anyone use the mushroom for depression? [Re: slacker008]
    #9085682 - 10/16/08 09:30 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think I'd recommend anyone do mushrooms to overcome depression, at least not without other means as well. However, I strongly attribute overcoming my depression to mushroom use. I didn't go in expecting them to help me, I went in knowing relatively little about them really, but after my first 2-5 trips I was a new person. I still act the same more or less I guess, but mushrooms just gave me a glimpse at an entirely different perspective on life and I was able to integrate that into my daily life. They certainly have the potential to help, but you can't just take them and expect them to magically cure your friend. He's gotta do that majority of the work himself, mushrooms just have the possibility to show you how. :smile:

edit: btw, that was about 2 or so years ago. I still feel they've helped me over all of that time so it's not short term.

Also, I would not recommend anyone trip when they're depressed. That's more than likely to just make it worse for him. Find a good day and prepare for it very well.

Invisibleplasma
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ

Re: Anyone use the mushroom for depression? [Re: krypto2000]
    #9085704 - 10/16/08 09:41 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think shrooms can cure any kind of depression. It can help you to relocate the good things in life and point you in the right direction

OfflineNexion
Seeker
Male

Re: Anyone use the mushroom for depression? [Re: plasma]
    #9086217 - 10/16/08 11:53 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

It depends, is your friends actually trying to root out his sadness or is he just rolling around in it. I would say go for it if he is seriously trying to get over it, it might help provide insight. I also would recommend that he take at least an eighth, no less. For me the more in touch with reality I am, the more likely I am to get frustrated and scared.

OfflineAtticusProphet
just a tool
Male

Loc: within you and without yo...
Re: Anyone use the mushroom for depression? [Re: Nexion]
    #9086321 - 10/16/08 12:16 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i agree with nexicon. also its really helpful to find a setting that reminds you of your normal life(his normal life) as little as possible. aka try to get out into nature, go camping if possible, etc. IME tripping round campus or wutever leads to more negative thinking, like i look at cars driving by and get caught up in thinking about the futility of all the stuff i do, but If i get away from all that its more about the essential beauty of things, and I am able to focus on the experience much more.

just a thought:)
mushrooms can be invaluable, but you need to be much more careful when dealing with stuff like this

--------------------
There's just one small problem...

...and it's a big one!

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Re: Anyone use the mushroom for depression? [Re: AtticusProphet]
    #9087234 - 10/16/08 03:31 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Good words all, and thank you. I shouldn't have used the word "depression". That word gets used way too much, but in the cases where it's actually depression (and not just life or a period of being blue) it's crippling.

More than anything, she's just a little down. He's done shrooms before, many years ago (I swear this isn't me ha ha) but didn't really get much out of it as he was sick both times (don't know why you trip when you're sick but whatever) So he's not going in totally blind.

He's been asking me what I thought, and I wanted a few more opinions. He's not depressed, just at a stage where he's searching a bit, life's become something of a rut (we're both in our early 30's) maybe a bit bored and so on.

Thanks again all.

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Offlinejvm
I knew the pieces fit!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio Flag
    #9087255 - 10/16/08 03:39 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Give him a higher dose. It will kick his ass and give him new meaning to his wandering.

Edited by jvm (10/16/08 03:39 PM)

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Re: Anyone use the mushroom for depression? [Re: jvm]
    #9087636 - 10/16/08 05:28 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I had that thought too, but not everyone can take it you know??

--------------------

OfflineBeege
gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Germany Flag
    #9087651 - 10/16/08 05:32 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Mushrooms helped bring me out of the worst depression of my life. Of course, they were not the sole instruments used. But they really helped me see a lot of things I had been desperately been trying not to see before.

So yes, I believe mushrooms can have many beneficial, positive effects on the human mind. But sometimes drugs really aren't the answer.

Oh yeah,
Life is good.

Edited by Beege (10/16/08 05:35 PM)

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Re: Anyone use the mushroom for depression? [Re: Beege]
    #9087660 - 10/16/08 05:33 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I remember feeling released when I did them, and the one "bad trip" I had taught me more than the others combined. I'm just thinking that less might be more the first time around.

--------------------

OfflineBeege
gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Germany Flag
    #9087677 - 10/16/08 05:37 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

yes, I have never really experienced a bad trip. The closest I've come was a 6 gram dose of copes that freaked me out a little. And, although I was scared and confused at the time, I don't regret the experience in the slightest because it taught me so much.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract