Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebryanbzl
Spawn Runner
 User Gallery

Quick question on Tyvek Envelopes
    #9078633 - 10/14/08 09:36 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

It's been a while since the last time I've posted on these forums and I've got an interesting inquiry. I have finally found some Tyvek mailing envelopes. however, they have a "weather seal". I was just wondering if this layer is breathable, considering everyone uses them and i have yet to see someone remove it. and if not, how do i remove this layer when i purchase these envelopes.

thanks in advance.

--------------------
Cheers,

bzl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"From 1898 through to 1910 heroin was marketed as a non-addictive morphine substitute and cough medicine for children."

conclusion:
poor fucking children of the early 1900's.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenenl
Strangest

Re: Quick question on Tyvek Envelopes [Re: bryanbzl]
    #9080106 - 10/15/08 08:05 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I would bet the weather seal doesn't completely block air from passing - just liquid. I could be wrong though...

The tyvec I use doesn't say anything about a weather seal, but it is water resistant - meaning if something gets spilt on it, the water runs off. If you put water in the envelope and squeeze, the water slowly seeps through.

If you already have the envelopes, seal it up with as much air as possible and see if you can squeeze it out.

--------------------
hehe

Offlinebryanbzl
Spawn Runner
 User Gallery

Re: Quick question on Tyvek Envelopes [Re: nenl]
    #9080970 - 10/15/08 11:28 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

that's what i'm thinking.
however, it can also simply be that they do not let air pass through and everyone is using them as a placebo effect. that is why i am bringing up the question. From my experience, jars without any form of FAE (not completely full with grain) colonize fine without it, which is probably do to the negative space in the jar providing more than enough fresh air for full colonization of the grain.

Edited by bryanbzl (10/15/08 11:30 AM)

Offlinenenl
Strangest

#9081002 - 10/15/08 11:33 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Agreed that if there's enough air in the jar to begin with it could fully colonize. However, the co2 that's not let out could be slowing growth making it take longer to fully colonize - just a theory though.

--------------------
hehe

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
Re: Quick question on Tyvek Envelopes [Re: nenl]
    #9081033 - 10/15/08 11:38 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

yea nenl you're right
just take a jar of grain knock it up then seal it completely see what happens

-noobie

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Offlinebryanbzl
Spawn Runner
 User Gallery

Re: Quick question on Tyvek Envelopes [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #9083939 - 10/15/08 09:36 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

noobieshroomie said:
yea nenl you're right
just take a jar of grain knock it up then seal it completely see what happens

-noobie

this is in no way an attack of any form (sometimes people get the wrong vibes). but i just finished saying that I've knocked up jars without any breathing holes and they have fully colonized just fine. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it might be gene specific on CO2 production and results can vary. Just like I've seen someone on this forum in the past that made a mono tub without any holes or any transparent window for light... and still got a full tub of cubes. Sometimes some strains thrive better than others in varying conditions, that's why I'm implying that maybe the weather-proof tyvek is producing a placebo effect for many.

--------------------
Cheers,

bzl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"From 1898 through to 1910 heroin was marketed as a non-addictive morphine substitute and cough medicine for children."

conclusion:

Offlineiamsmooth
Stranger

#9084017 - 10/15/08 09:50 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I nocced up some grains 2 weeks ago with some "weather seal" tyvek, and it seems to be colonizing--slowly, but still colonizing. I'd say it'll work, but I'm not sure if the slow colonization time is related to the tyvek envelopes.

Offlinebryanbzl
Spawn Runner
 User Gallery

Re: Quick question on Tyvek Envelopes [Re: iamsmooth]
    #9084033 - 10/15/08 09:53 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

iamsmooth said:
I nocced up some grains 2 weeks ago with some "weather seal" tyvek, and it seems to be colonizing--slowly, but still colonizing. I'd say it'll work, but I'm not sure if the slow colonization time is related to the tyvek envelopes.

and THAT my friend, is what i am trying to uncover. thanks for the post man. I guess no one has noticed that their tyvek envelopes from staples are weather proofed. which they are. all of them.

--------------------
Cheers,

bzl

conclusion:

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9085163 - 10/16/08 03:43 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

buy filter discs which are designed for this purpose. tyvek filters are not the best choice. filter discs can be reused hundreds if not thousannds of times and withstand bleach cleaning. tyvek is a 1 use only deal.                       

you need gas exchange otherwise co2 can build up to toxic levels and slow/stall growth. the key work here is gas exchange and not fresh air.                                 

and before someone chimes in saying they are expensive there not, considering how many times they can be reused and are sized to fit your jars.                             

also keep the metal disc with 4 holes punched for gas exchange. using just the filter will provide too much air.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains