Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Loc: Northern USA
How did mushrooms get here????
    #907742 - 09/25/02 06:47 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

THe conversation of aliens dont' exist I have proof spawned many side conversations and this was just one of them for those of you who don't normally venture into such threads but are interested in the beginning of mushrooms here is some contemplation that I put forth after many posts like this came froth

Original Post by chodamunky
lets look at this logically for one minute, if mushrooms spores did come from outer space, wouldn't they burn up entering our atmosphere and therefore never reach the earth?

Original Post By dee_N_ae
I actually thought the exact same thing today at work.
Logically, maybe they could be lodged in a cavern inside a meteorite large enough not to burn up and impact the Earth's surface? This is a tough one...

Here is my response to these bear with me as it is somewhat long but I will provide a summary at the bottom for those of you NON-REaders

First Post
I personally really do think they are not of this world as if you look at their structure they are lacking elements for one they have no chlorophyll and must get all of their nutrients entirely from their enviroment. Maybe in their original world they were provided with chlorophyll from a different source and they grew in massive fields like grass to think we are alone in this universe I think is a big mistake perhaps there aren't other highly intellegent oraganizms out there but there is no doubt that in other planets there is life I mean we have found like in desolate places and this is only a tiny piece of the universe so there is no way there can't be more life elsewhere......

Perhaps they (meaning mushrooms) did appear here so long ago and the reason we have so many different variations was not because alot of spores were introduced here but the fact that they all had to adapt and evolve so to speak to their enviroments which is why all the different varieties grow in such strange places and require odd conditions it was where they ended up and what they adapted to.

Another thing is if you observe the rooting structure of mushrooms it is alot different then that of many others it's beginnings and such the mycelium to me is far different from any other rooting structure to date. sorry my head is fuzzing out on me and this is an alien post haha not a beginning of mushies haha

I can't remember the link I did read about the appearance of spores through earth collisions though I will post it later tonight if nobody else posts one.

SECOND POST
Not alot is known about the climate of the old earth it is often thought that it was much warmer then it is now and if you use the old theories of how the earth came to be with many collisions of meteors and astroids there is evidence that an event like the spores reaching earth is possible. The Earth didn't have water at first it got here when large astroids crashed into us and the ice upon them melted this left the water here with us.

What I suggest is that the meteors that fell here and gave birth to mushies were carbonaceous chondrites which are rare meteorites that contain alot of carbons and organic material these objects that make it here containing organic materials could have easily contained the spores needed to start the fungi because just one mature mushroom can drop nearly 16 million spores have you ever stopped to wonder why so many perhaps it is because survival was so hard and thus created this adaptation or maybe there are other reasonings behind this. And yes these meteorites do fall even today so they weren't just something that happened long ago, another thing I just am adding this in if you look at the reproduction system of fungi aka mushrooms you see a difference from many others one most species have evolved into mail and femail reproductions this is thought to have happened long ago when with all the thing crashing into earth the stress put upon bacteria created two sexes much in the same way that too much stress put upon a marijuana plant can turn your female into a male. So with the system fungi have them appearing on one of these lil meteors isn't so far fetched because their species was never totally forced into having different sexes...

And if your like meteorites containing organic material ya right here's an article about an existing cabonaceous chondrite it happened to land in a very cold region and the guy who retrieved it was equally as smart it containes organic material it didn't burn up inside our atmosphere. Ohh yeah the article is down lower in this post hahaha.....

Also it is possible for there to ice imbedded near the core of an astroid if large enough astroids can even contain their own caverns these can alternatively be large holes inside filled with ice an object this size wouldn't necessarily all burn up on entry most meteors are composed of metals and very good conductors,

That doesn't however mean all of them are. Here's the article about the one that made it...and was picked up and stored properly Organics In Meteorite now if this one was found containing these elements it is highly likely that many others like it existed long ago the only reason this one was found in it's condition was because of location it happened to end up in a very convenient location that preserved it well you know just like they don't find many well preserved cave men and things like that.

There are really only two places on this earth that preserve geological information extremely well and they are Africa and Australia, much has been found in these regions alot of the other places on earth erase much information stored in rocks and sources of info. hahaha.......there you go another theory...... now come on hahaa 16 million spores in just ONE MUSHROOM at least a few of them gotta be able to continue and thinking about it mushrooms can grow and reseed from an original spore at least once this will give life to many others in the same region and blam mushie invasion.......

***************SUMMARY*******
I propose that mushrooms did come here via meteor
They did so on cabonaceous chondrites which are meteors that fall here containing organic material they do not burn up totally
ONe has been kept frozen after it fell in a cold region
Mushrooms don't have two sexes unlike many things here who acquired their other sex due to stress possibly but on due to meteor fire which started with bacteria creating another sex when under stress to breed faster
********END SUMMARY*********

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineViBrAnT
WaRpInG &sPiRaLiNg
Re: How did mushrooms get here???? [Re: BleedingSickness]
    #908167 - 09/25/02 10:18 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Now we are hitting a big topic here, what is the mushroom? Well lets instead ask some of the non spiritual posters to share some of their unusual experiences, i do not desire a scientifical explanation as to why it probably happened, but rather what you took from the experience on a personal level, please share, it would be much appreciated.

--------------------
" liken this life illusory, for your sand castle will one day be adrift amongst the wind "

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: How did mushrooms get here???? [Re: ViBrAnT]
    #908222 - 09/25/02 10:35 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Someday when I finally get a chance to eat psilocybin mushrooms I will get back to you pronto  :smile:

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #908257 - 09/25/02 10:49 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

> How did mushrooms get here????

psychedelic mushrooms evolved from regular mushrooms.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Re: How did mushrooms get here???? [Re: pattern]
    #908316 - 09/25/02 11:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The question here is how did mushrooms in general arrive here was it via a meteor that crashlanded here containing spores??

By some strange form of late evolution

Or something larger maybe even a latter creation of God

Many argued that spores would burn up in a meteor then I showed proof that meteors do land here with organic material in tact.

InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana
    #908325 - 09/25/02 11:17 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Are we ABSOLUTELY sure that spores will burn up in the atmosphere on the way down? 

If so, the answer is obvious. The Aliens pulled a Johnny Appleseed, and Earth was one of the many planting spots.  :grin: :grin: :grin: 

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

#908341 - 09/25/02 11:27 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

> how did mushrooms in general arrive here

fungal evolution.

my two cents.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Edited by pattern (09/25/02 11:35 PM)

InvisibleMiddlemanM
mid-spectrum

#908366 - 09/25/02 11:36 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

just had to post this Here in case anyone missed it...

The mushroom speaks, and our opinions rest upon what it tells eloquently of itself in the cool night of the mind:

"I am old, older than thought in your species, which is itself fifty times older than your history. Though I have been on earth for ages I am from the stars. My home is no one planet, for many worlds scattered through the shining disc of the galaxy have conditions which allow my spores an opportunity for life. The mushroom which you see is the part of my body given to sex thrills and sun bathing, my true body is a fine network of fibers growing through the soil. These networks may cover acres and may have far more connections that the number in a human brain. My mycelial network is nearly immortal, only the sudden toxification of a planet or the explosion of its parent star can wipe me out. By means impossible to explain because of certain misconceptions in your model of reality all my mycelial networks in the galaxy are in hyperlight communication across space and time. The mycelial body is as fragile as a spider's web but the collective hypermind and memory is a vast historical archive of the career of evolving intelligence on many worlds in our spiral star swarm. Space, you see, is a vast ocean to those hardy life forms that have the ability to reproduce from spores, for spores are covered with the hardest organic substance known. Across the aeons of time and space drift many spore-forming life-forms in suspended animation for millions of years until contact is made with a suitable environment. Few such species are minded, only myself and my recently evolved near relatives have achieved the hyper-communication mode and memory capacity that makes us leading members in the community of galactic intelligence. How the hypercommunication mode operates is a secret which will not be lightly given to man. But the means should be obvious: it is the occurrence of psilocybin and psilocin in the biosynthetic pathways of my living body that opens for me and my symbiots the vision screens to many worlds. You as an individual and man as a species are on the brink of the formation of a symbiotic relationship with my genetic material that will eventually carry humanity and earth into the galactic mainstream of the higher civilizations.

Since it is not easy for you to recognize other varieties of intelligence around you, your most advanced theories of politics and society have advanced only as far as the notion of collectivism. But beyond the cohesion of the members of a species into a single social organism there lie richer and even more baroque evolutionary possibilities. Symbiosis is one of these. Symbiosis is a relation of mutual dependence and positive benefits for both of the species involved. Symbiotic relationships between myself and civilized forms of higher animals have been established many times and in many places throughout the long ages of my development. These relationships have been mutually useful; within my memory is the knowledge of hyperlight drive ships and how to build them. I will trade this knowledge for a free ticket to new worlds around suns younger and more stable than your own. To secure an eternal existence down the long river of cosmic time I again and again offer this agreement to higher beings and thereby have spread throughout the galaxy over the long millennia. A mycelial network has no organs to move the world, no hands; but higher animals with manipulative abilities can become partners with the star knowledge within me and if they act in good faith, return both themselves and their humble mushroom teacher to the million worlds all citizens of our starswarm are heir to."

From Psilocybin - Magic Mushroom Grower's Guide

by O.T. Oss & O.N. Oeric
(T. and D. Mckenna)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
    #908379 - 09/25/02 11:42 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I know not everybody wanted a scientific explanation, but here it is anyway...

Mushrooms are not plants. They are in their own kingdom, and they are much closer to animals than plants.

Consider this: when plants want a hard structure around their cells they form it out of cellulose, which is polymerized sugar. When animals want to do the same thing, they form it out of protein, which is polymerized amino acids. Fungi form theirs out of proteins like the animals do.

If you consider them ecologically, it becomes clear that fungi have been around for a long time. In the oceans, bacteria take care of decomposing everything. On land, bacteria only decompose animals and fungi. The fungi are what decomposes all the plant matter.

We know that plants were on dry land long before the animals got there. The likely situation is that the fungi evolved at that time, in parallel with the animals in the seas. When animals first came ashore they probably found the fungi to be easier to eat than the plants. The result is that fungi spend almost their entire lives hidden in the soil or inside whatever they're decomposing, only exposing themselves for a short time to reproduce.

Why are there so few fossil mushrooms? Because they are almost all soft and fragile and decompose quickly and easily. And how would you recognize a fossil mycelium if you had one?

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Shadow of Neptune
Re: How did mushrooms get here???? [Re: Middleman]
    #908389 - 09/25/02 11:47 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I love that passage... It's one of the first things I read after doing my first web search for cultivation.  :wink: 

Offlinevaporbrains
Cub Scout

Loc: ghetto# 03479
Re: How did mushrooms get here???? [Re: dee_N_ae]
    #908492 - 09/26/02 12:20 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

mushrooms aren't plants, they're fungi. that's why they don't use sunlight to create energy. it doesn't mean they're from another planet. what makes you think there is anything special about mushrooms, thousands of plants on this planet contain psychoactive compounds. don't be an idiot.

--------------------
All refrences to and statements concerning mushrooms, mushroom cultivation, and mushroom related paraphrenalia refer specifically to the cultivation of legal species.

OfflineMetasyn
one

Re: How did mushrooms get here???? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #908499 - 09/26/02 12:21 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I think the real quesiton is, rather than how mushrooms evolved, is how they evolved to produce psilocybin rather than any number of infinitely more effective predator deterents capable of being produced.

Sure, it doesn't mean they are from another planet, but it sure is curious that a chemical is produced that is capble of eliciting such positive and magnificent experiences in humans.

It doesn't really matter where psilocybin is from anyway. I'm sure whoever (if anyone) put it here they'd want us to stop analyzing and just enjoy the gift we'd been given.

Edited by Metasyn (09/26/02 12:27 AM)

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Re: How did mushrooms get here???? [Re: Metasyn]
    #908549 - 09/26/02 12:41 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

> evolved to produce psilocybin rather than any number of infinitely more
> effective predator deterents capable of being produced.

assuming psilocybin is a defense mechanism.

maybe it isn't.

after all, it isn't effective.

it has the opposite effect: we cultivate them.

i think its a symbiotic advantage.

like a tree, offering sugary fruit with seeds.

the mycelium offers psychedelic mushrooms with spores.

and we don't cultivate poisonous mushrooms!

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Edited by pattern (09/26/02 12:50 AM)

OfflineChikhai
Loc: Florida
Re: How did mushrooms get here???? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #908568 - 09/26/02 12:51 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'm taking an Intro to Biology class right now so everything you wrote makes total sense to me.  There are four Kingoms in the domain Eukarya.  These are Protista, Fungi, plantae, and Animalia.

Most fungi are multicellular, and obtain nutrients through absorption.  They folllow the same "laws of life" as every other living thing.  There's nothing overly special about them.

This is getting a bit off topic but oh well.  It's important to remember that the mushroom plays a very small roll in a psychedelic trip. The main player is the Mind itself.

I have tripped on a variety of substances, with a variety of people, and I can say from experience that where the trip goes depends entirely on the person eating the substance.  Basically, the mushroom allows you to explore your own inner being.

I guess what I'm saying is all this nonsensical spirituality stuff is nothing more than giving fancy labels and poetiic descriptions to events that could be explained by rational thought.

But why think rationally when you can eat some mushrooms and go nuts  :wink:

--------------------
"I see!" said the blind man to his deaf wife.

Anonymous

#908573 - 09/26/02 12:52 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

assuming psilocybin is a defense mechanism.

maybe it isn't.

after all, it isn't effective.

i think its a symbiotic advantage.

like a tree, offering sugary fruit with seeds.

the mycelium offers psychedelic mushrooms with spores.

Yes, there are many examples of such relationships in nature.

OfflineChikhai
    #908574 - 09/26/02 12:53 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

We also pay people to give us food which is fried in fat. We also smoke sticks filled with tobacco and nicotine (some of us, at least). We also drink alcohol. Etc, etc, etc. Get my drift?

--------------------

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Re: How did mushrooms get here???? [Re: Chikhai]
    #908632 - 09/26/02 01:12 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

> We also pay people to give us food which is fried in fat.

It beats starving to death!  :ooo:

Symbiosis doesn't have to be a health-trendy process.  As long as two parties benefit, then it's symbiotic.  Nature isn't perfect, but it works.

> We also smoke sticks filled with tobacco and nicotine (some of us, at least).
> We also drink alcohol.

Yes, because nicotine and alcohol benefit us.  Kinda like psilocin benefits us.

> Etc, etc, etc. Get my drift?

I get that we have drifted way off the subject.  :smirk:

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Edited by pattern (09/26/02 01:15 AM)

OfflineChikhai
    #908697 - 09/26/02 01:33 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

It beats starving to death!

That's rediculous.  Noone's life depends on fast food.

Quote:

Yes, because nicotine and alcohol benefit us. Kinda like psilocin benefits us.

LOL.  Yup...  :grin:

Quote:

I get that we have drifted way off the subject 

I agree. 

--------------------

Edited by Chikhai (09/26/02 01:34 AM)

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
    #908707 - 09/26/02 01:37 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

mushrooms came from outer space. just accept. the only proof is you need is because i said so.

in all seriousness couldn't the spores arrived before earth had an atmosphere?

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

OfflineBleedingSickness
Friend OfAttention Whore
Re: How did mushrooms get here???? [Re: 1stimer]
    #909075 - 09/26/02 04:24 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Without such an atmosphere they surely would have burnt up but seeing as how one mushroom drops 16 million there could be a small chance of them surviving that.

Mushrooms however do NOT show up in geological finding like many other prehistoric items have in fact there is no evidence of them being here until far later in the life of the earth but they did have influence on many things once they appeared here they can be seen in the drawings of early man and many other artifacts found from man.

So if they didn't show up until later in this worlds life how DID THEY GET HERE was it via a meteor as I explained above or evolution of some other species of bacteria because the Fungi are very unique to this world as I also stated above so this might lead one to believe that they came from somewhere else.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology