Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Loc: you'll shoot yer eye out ...
A quick thanks and a question
    #907599 - 09/25/02 03:30 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I want to thank all of you guys for patiently answering my questions about growing, cultivating.. etc etc. It's been a tremendous help. I have 8 BRF/Verm 1/2pt jars, innoculated on September 14th. They are all going very well. My roommate actually innoculated and sterilized while I was gone, and he did not put lids on the jars, instead he has about 4 layers of foil. I took four of the foil lids off and replaced them with regular lids, and put the foil on top of that. It seems, well.. actually it's DEFINATE that the ones with the foil lids, and had never been opened, also never had the regular lids on them are growing at a MUCH faster rate. Already, 11 days after innoculation the outsides of the four jars w/o jar lids have almost fully colonized the outside layer.

Also, is shaking the PF jars beneficial in any way?? If so, when in the process is it best to do so?? I would think that it would incorporate more vermiculite into the BRF/VERM layer from the top when you shake it up. What are the benefits of doing so. The fastest colonizing jar colonized from the middle up, so I flipped it upside down so the foil lid was on the bottom, and it colonized so fast, that overnight it had literally went from the middle of the jar, straight down to the bottom.. and colonized 1/4 of the bottom.

I fully respect the growing potential of mushrooms. Maybe casings are in my future. I've decided on using pearlite layering for fruiting, and also dunking overnight in the refidgerator. I've heard it's best to put it in the fridge overnight because it not only rehydrates the PF cakes, but also induces faster, larger pinning because of the cold temps. Any truth to that?? I've read many TEKs and they all say different things. Which leads me to believe that many different meathods work while growing mushrooms. But which works best for my Treasure Coasts??

Sammy

--------------------

I believe in the Golden Rule ? The Man with the Gold . . . Rules.
- Mr. T

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStainItBlue

Re: A quick thanks and a question [Re: Sammy]
    #907608 - 09/25/02 03:37 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Also, is shaking the PF jars beneficial in any way??

if they are colinizing fast i would let them be.. interesting that that colinize faster with just foil that maybe a good tek..good luck

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Re: A quick thanks and a question [Re: StainItBlue]
    #907619 - 09/25/02 03:42 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, it's really wierd that it works like that. They were sterilized w/ no lids, w/ 2 layers of foil, then innoculated.. straight after that they were layered w/ 2 more pieces of foil each. Four days after innoculation... I came back from my trip and put lids on 4/8 jars... ever since the ones with just foil have colonized at about five to six times faster than the ones w/ the lids. I'm not too sure if it has to do with the lids being on tight when I put them on.... or that they didn't have any holes on the top. (obvously because they were not innoculated like that).

Any answers to the other questions?? Any insight on what the absence of lids does to mycellia??

Sammy

--------------------

- Mr. T

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
    #907620 - 09/25/02 03:43 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

>> Also, is shaking the PF jars beneficial in any way??

pf cakes have a verm layer on top. if you shake them early you will have some brf on top that it will possibly be contaminated by bacteria. if you try to shake it later, eg about 80% colonized, you will realize the cake is so strongly tight, that is impossible to shake it :wink: lol my opinion

>> because of the cold temps. Any truth to that??

Stamets say that it is not required for cubbies. some people say it works. i dunked a cake in the fridge once and it pinned a couple of days later. dunno if that could also happen without the cold temps.

>> But which works best for my Treasure Coasts??

as i see it, almost all teks are cool. the thing is that not everything is explained in such detail that it can be redone by anyone else in the world with the same success, except perhaps from the PF tek and the PF tek for simple minds. the idea is to try and find out which one is best for your personal habits and way of working.

Kykeon
athens, greece

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

#907627 - 09/25/02 03:46 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

oh, i forgot :wink: lol

i suggest you use some cakes to do your first casings, thats the coolest for me.

GOOD LUCK :smile:

Kykeon
athens, greece 

--------------------

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Re: A quick thanks and a question [Re: kykeon]
    #907660 - 09/25/02 03:59 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I plan on doing casings with my 2 fastest colonizing cakes. I got some small aluminum pans used for cooking. You know, the disposable ones. They are small and have plastic lids that I figure I can use because they are about 2 inches tall. You think these will work?? I they are about 6x6in and are fairly small. I plan on using the colonized cakes to make one, or two casings. Do casings usually promote more shrooms? Say, if I made a casing out of one cake, and just kept one cake as a cake. Which would grow more?? Stupid questions, I know.. but they're growing so fast I'm going crazy!!!

Sammy

--------------------

- Mr. T

OfflineI3lunts42o
Spore Collector
Loc: I don't even know where i...
    #907663 - 09/25/02 04:01 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

Also, is shaking the PF jars beneficial in any way??

I think thats just with whole grains.
In reply to:

Maybe casings are in my future.

you should really try casings. I think you will be very happy and suprized with your results and the ease in how they came.

In reply to:

I've heard it's best to put it in the fridge overnight because it not only rehydrates the PF cakes, but also induces faster, larger pinning because of the cold temps.

Yes. it lets the mycelium know its time to fruit.

In reply to:

Which leads me to believe that many different meathods work while growing mushrooms. But which works best for my Treasure Coasts??

All PC's pretty much grow the same. if you want larger fruits try using rye and/or whole grains

--------------------
Note: This post is a work of fiction and for entertainment only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I smoke weed to ease my mind,
I eat every tab i find,
I drink shroom tea by the jugs,
Can't you see that I love drugs?

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

Re: A quick thanks and a question [Re: I3lunts42o]
    #907668 - 09/25/02 04:04 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Whole grains eah?? Maybe I'll try that next time. My alligator is thinking about using about 30PF jars and doing some different strains from sporeworks. I have to order for him because his claws ruin my keyboard :-) Anyways, do casings have any benefit over cakes??

Sammy

--------------------

- Mr. T

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

#908868 - 09/26/02 12:25 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

working with whole grains needs a bit of a trick, or a magic hand :wink:

as for the casings. you dont need plastic lids for the alu pans. the depth must be 6-8 cm. follow instructions depending on which type of casing r u goin' to use.

and yeap, a cake produces less shrooms than a cased cake, at least where i live :wink: lol

good luck

Kykeon
athens, greece

--------------------

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
    #908886 - 09/26/02 12:29 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

working with whole grains needs a bit of a trick, or a magic hand

Nah, no magic required.  Only a pressure cooker.. :wink:

Quote:

the depth must be 6-8 cm

I use depths of 2.5-5 cm all the time.

Quote:

a cake produces less shrooms than a cased cake, at least where i live

I could agree with this.  I find that crumbled and cased cakes deliver more mushrooms at once whereas the cake produces more gradually.  The same fruiting potential is there, but for newbies, casing crumbled cakes would deliver much more on the first flush and they wouldn't have to worry about keeping cakes healthy over many flushes. 

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Re: A quick thanks and a question [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #909451 - 09/26/02 10:31 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Nah, no magic required. Only a pressure cooker.. 

lol i do have a pc, my prob was always to find exactly the water amount needed. except if - now that i am re-thinking it - the problem is that i dont seal the jars. fuck. i will do it again :wink: lol lol

Kykeon
athens, greece 

--------------------

OfflineSammy
Between the fold

#912630 - 09/27/02 03:23 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I think I'll try a cake or two with this first batch. They're going VERY well!! From what I see, the lids don't do anything. I took the lids off of the four, three days ago and they've EXPLODED... they stopped growing the instant I put those lids on, and that was about a week ago.... the four with four layers of foil have almost colonized the whole jar (well.. the outside from what I can see). So I turned them upside down so they can concentrate on the bottom of the jar where the mycellium is growing.. but not as fast as the top. Some TEK I read once said turning them upside down shifts needed air for growing to the spots that were slower to colonize. Anyways... the jars that had the lids taken off after colonization was slowed, have almost as of this morning (friday) grown as much in three days as the others have in a week and a half. Now I have 8 1/2pt almost colonized jars in a rubbermade container.

One more question for you guys..now from what I read, when a jar is colonizing, it has mushy type mycellium. My mycellium looks like a damn spiders web. All wispy. Is this normal?? Have I enduced premature pinning?? The mycellium seems to be growing like that... and doesnt turn from a blotch to a wisp.. just starts out like that. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm nearing the two week mark on my jars, and want to know if my little guys are growing healthy and strong so I can proceed to my first birthday! (pearlite in the same rubbermade container, 20w blue spectrum floro light, saran wrap.. the usual newB stuff).

Sammy

--------------------

- Mr. T

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

#914077 - 09/28/02 01:21 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

well sammy i cant be sure without seeing any pics, buy mycelium is either rhizomorphic or fluffy. cobweb mold also looks like a web but its a mold. :wink: take a look at those pics in the shroomery. if its somethin' like that, you r okee! :smile:

no, you havent induced pinning, if you dont see any pins. its probably your mycelium. for example, my pf-classic mycelium looks sooo different than my GT or EQ mycelium

Good Luck

Kykeon
athens, greece

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #914169 - 09/28/02 02:37 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Cobweb mold will take over your jar fast, so if its been two weeks and there is still uncolonised subustrate I would say its mycelium. But without pics its hard to tell.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order