Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: What do you Pick, a trade or something your passionate about? [Re: Liquidkick]
    #9069862 - 10/13/08 06:45 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I'm no wannabe, I'm there. :yesnod:

I love being asked to come in to a building that's being built, and design the entire network from the ground up. It's fun. :ooo:

--------------------

Edited by MHbound (10/13/08 06:51 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: What do you Pick, a trade or something your passionate about? [Re: PDU]
    #9069864 - 10/13/08 06:48 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I stay both..  :cool:

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Offlinejeffloomis
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: What do you Pick, a trade or something your passionate about? [Re: Brainiac]
    #9069911 - 10/13/08 07:21 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

To the original thread creator.  Sometimes its necessary to put your dreams on hold man, life's a bitch.

I for one HATE university but gotta do it b/c like you said, the job I want requires it.

If you don't have the money/finances to support yourself for 4 years of uni, then PLEASE don't do it, you'll put yourself in a huge amount of debt and the way the economy is going, well, you get the idea.

23 years is very very young by today's standards.  People change their career a lot these days, I remember reading somewhere that the average Canadian changes careers (not jobs/odd jobs/etc) on average once every decade.

Go into trades, save up some money and gain some valuable life experience you don't get at uni, then go get your degree.  That's a lot of money I know, but if you can save up say 1/2 of it then you're well on your way in life.  Also I'm pretty sure you can work part time while going to school in your chosen trade, cha-ching!

Right now I'm double majoring in Comp Sci and Physics, lets just say that comp sci wasn't what I thought it would be, but its way too late to switch it (already in 3rd year, the last 5 years have been a blur to me, ahhhhhh).  Physics ain't bad though, so far so good.

Out of curiosity, what kind of career did you want to get into (specifically)? 

--------------------
"Prevail, the time has come
Crush the enemy, one by one
Prevail, like a venomous snake
Ready to strike and dominate
Prevail, we conquer as one
Pound the enemy, 'till it's done
Prevail!"

Edited by jeffloomis (10/13/08 07:23 AM)

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the space between reality...
    #9070018 - 10/13/08 08:26 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I'm a college kid and I love this shit. I'm pursuing what interests me... being poor sucks yeah.. but its nice to know you're part of an international community and at the end of it (depending on what you study) you come out as part of the academic and scientific communities, which is rewarding in its own right.

Going to university, despite all the hard work and living off of tinned beans etc, is one of the best decisions I ever made.

The thing is, you have to be prepared to work for it. 

Passion is what drives us to achieve.. if you're not passionate about what you do, you'll end up in a rut pretty quickly.

--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

InvisibleCeara
Shroom Hunter
Female

Loc: Great White North
Re: What do you Pick, a trade or something your passionate about? [Re: Liquidkick]
    #9070039 - 10/13/08 08:37 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Going to college/university doesn't guarantee you a job after graduation. 

I've seen ads in the local paper for job openings, and they wanted a college grad, with a minimum of a BA, and they were only offering $9 an hour. 

What you need to do is to decide what really makes you happy and what you are best at, and then do it.  Don't look for fame or fortune.  Having enough to fill your belly and keep warm during the winter should be good enough.  All the extra is just more crap to weigh you down.

Or what you can do is really really observe stuff around you.  What does your community/state lack?  Find a niche that's not covered in your area, then you are on your way to a great job. 

Looking for a job to work for someone else isn't always the best thing to do.  All too often the pay is crap and the boss treats you like dirt.

Manufacturing really isn't the way to go any more the way the economy has been shaped.  However service industry jobs aren't likely go away.  Stuff like licensed/bonded pet sitting, or house sitting.  Dog walking, etc.  I keep a few dogs now and then for people when they go out of town.  They come to me because they know I'll take care of their pets and not leave them stuck in a cage all day, like they would be if at a kennel.  Animals get treated well in our home.

InvisibleLiquidkick
H2O
Re: What do you Pick, a trade or something your passionate about? [Re: Ceara]
    #9072214 - 10/13/08 05:50 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

you talking to me?

I think 100 million dollars will allow me to fill my belly and keep warm during the winter time.

I dunno about you.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #9072627 - 10/13/08 07:12 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

It's hard to know what you will enjoy until you are doing it.  Try stuff if you get the chance.

Be careful about student debt.  I can't believe how many people rack up 30+k of debt like it's no big deal.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

#9072687 - 10/13/08 07:23 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Now, unqualified with an assortment of deadend jobs beckoning at 23, + with a mind not so sharp because of drug abuse

Hey man, I don't have much advice, because I'm a university student without much of an idea of how to make my way in the world....But I did want to add that by reading your posts, it seems to me you're selling yourself short on the "a mind not so sharp" thing.  I have a tough time choosing what to feed my intellect, because psychedelics have shown me that the intellect is not the be-all-end-all of a human being.  I've often contemplated going into some kind of hands-on trade, even though anyone who knows me well would think I'm throwing away a lot of opportunities because of my natural intelligence.  I just feel it would be easier to avoid ego inflation and the constant arousal of competitive desire if I weren't doing work that required me to put on the facade of an intellectual.

Basically, all I want to say is...Keep many doors open; you're still young and writing off your intellectual capacities because of drug use is a cop out IMO.

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Offlineinetd
Stranger
Re: What do you Pick, a trade or something your passionate about? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #9072725 - 10/13/08 07:31 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I can't help with choosing a future. Sorry.
I may be able to help with choosing to take up welding.

I'm currently involved in the trades. What I'm seeing now is that the first year courses for welding are packed, the second less so, and the later years much freer. The reason being is that many people get a year or two under their belts, get good paying jobs, then have no reason to continue with their welding schooling.

This is in Ontario, where the economy has slowed drastically compared to BC or Alberta. It's one job that can't be outsourced, plus it leads to a future such as millwrighting.

A bonus if you're interested is that lots of welding classes are offered as a night or weekend schooling option. Depending on your course load, you may want to look into something like that.

OfflineTriad
♫Tool♫
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #9072759 - 10/13/08 07:39 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The people I was working with were getting $36.50 an hour. 10 hour days 6 days a week. They travelled 800km to work, and got paid for that. They also got paid $150 a day for living expenses. Double time for overtime. A paid week off every month and travel back home.

40 x 36.50 = $1460
20 x 73.00 = $1460
7  x150.00 = $1050

That comes out to about $190,000 a year. For a trade that is some nice cash. They were boilermakers btw. Only downside is you had to travel and be away from home for awhile.

--------------------

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

#9072892 - 10/13/08 08:07 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Having a marketable skill is golden.  You can go to college, graduate 200K in debt, and just me another one of the million schmucks that have a piece of paper and no skills.  I'd recommend the trade thing.  Money is freedom, debt is slavery.

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: What do you Pick, a trade or something your passionate about? [Re: Noviseer]
    #9073310 - 10/13/08 09:20 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

This thread has been very successful, i am largely leaning towards welding, mostly because im too uncertain about going the academic route..

I figure i can weld, get ahead, and fullfill my academic and social needs in my non-work time.

I found it very helpful to hear about people changing their careers + peoples perspectives on student debt.

Thanks guys!

would love to hear more perspectives if anyone hasn't spoken yet.

To adress Lion:

Quote:

I just feel it would be easier to avoid ego inflation and the constant arousal of competitive desire if I weren't doing work that required me to put on the facade of an intellectual.

Basically, all I want to say is...Keep many doors open; you're still young and writing off your intellectual capacities because of drug use is a cop out IMO.

1st. I agree with the first statement.

2nd. I suppose im scared of getting into an academic program and not measuring up. I am 8 months or so out of a 2 year ketamine binge, and my memory and mind in general is NOT what it used to... i hope i heal sometime soon, but my memory is shit these days (also suffered braindamage from a bike accident that nearly killed me in highschool, might be part of it.)

My unfortunate mental situation is more of a reality than a cop out.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery

#9073351 - 10/13/08 09:31 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Its a good idea to do what you love, but it is wise to get yourself some sort of professional experience (ticketed/schooled).  Then you can do whatever you want and have something to fall back onto when your dreams of being a rock star or artist dont work out.

Invisiblemagikgrl
~Inevitable~
Female User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
Re: What do you Pick, a trade or something your passionate about? [Re: Legoulash]
    #9073426 - 10/13/08 09:45 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I always thought I'd love doing computers. Did it as a kid, went to school for it, was all good. Now I got 5 years under my belt in the field and damned if I ain't bored of it!

--------------------

"In the 60s people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal...go figure."

Becoming human was not part of the plan...

I wish I could be as high as my tolerance-danlennon

Reality is a crutch for those that can't cope with drugs.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order