Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineagent13
Fool
Male

Loc: Australia
2 reasonably ignorant questions
    #9069483 - 10/13/08 02:29 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Im making a liquid culture from honey. It seems to be producing mycelium well enough so Im hopeful. I have a grow log that I have been updating here:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/9030731/an/0/page/0

The first question I have is;

Should I give the jar a nice swirl to agitate the culture before I introduce it into a syringe, or should I suck up only the fluffy white myc?

It would seem a waste to only suck up a small portion of the culture and dispose of the rest.

Question 2;

If I have separate, sealed syringes and needles they dont need to be sterilised do they?

Im thinking of just alcohol wiping them in my glove box before sucking the LC into the syringe.

Edited by agent13 (10/13/08 02:39 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: 2 reasonably ignorant questions [Re: agent13]
    #9069628 - 10/13/08 03:46 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

you need to agitate the culture before you suck it up because that way it is broken apart and not a single clump that will clog your syringe.

if they are sealed you should be OK with a simple alcohol wipe.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Edited by ScavengerType (10/13/08 03:49 AM)

Offlineagent13
Fool
Male

Re: 2 reasonably ignorant questions [Re: ScavengerType]
    #9069636 - 10/13/08 03:51 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for that advice ScavengerType.

Is that a NoFX reference?

Invisibletripchip
The Mushroom Monkey
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: African Jungle
    #9069643 - 10/13/08 03:55 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

screw your tek all together. try THIS tek. im telling you it works great and very easy. people have a lot of problems using karo, honey, and whatever else. although some have no problems at all. this is just my opinion and im sure some trusted cultivators will agree its a wonderfull tek. just my 2 cents though. either way good luck to ya!

--------------------
Psilocybe Cubensis

Psilocybe comes from the Greek root "psilos" meaning bald head and Cubensis because it was first recognized as a new species from specimens collected in Cuba.

:mushroom2:CHIP:mushroom2:

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#9069647 - 10/13/08 03:59 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yea I woulda thought of a better one by now but I've been using the same pseudonym for like 8 years and I never feel like changing it.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

Offlineagent13
Fool
Male

Re: 2 reasonably ignorant questions [Re: tripchip]
    #9069668 - 10/13/08 04:18 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

tripchip.

Thanks, but that Tek you linked to is assuming I have an already colonised jar.

I only have sterilised BRF substrate jars and spore prints (which I'm making the LC from)

Does look like a good  way to make a heap of mycelium water though.

I cant wait to try out other teks.

I'm just really eager to get my first jar growing first.

Trial and error and help the from everyone here is super fun.

Invisibletripchip
The Mushroom Monkey
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9069674 - 10/13/08 04:24 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

you could take one of your jars and do the same thing with one of those jars. theres a tek out there for BRF jars doing the mycelium water syringe thing. just sacrafice 1 jar. not sure where that tek is at. just keep it in mind, its a good idea for sure. maybe in the future. for now stick to what you got going on and advance and try new things in the future. have fun with it!

--------------------
Psilocybe Cubensis

Psilocybe comes from the Greek root "psilos" meaning bald head and Cubensis because it was first recognized as a new species from specimens collected in Cuba.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#9069687 - 10/13/08 04:41 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

you don't have to why not fruit and clone? http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5874305#5874305

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Invisibletripchip
The Mushroom Monkey
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9069743 - 10/13/08 05:18 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

:thumbup: or you can do that also. but the idea is to have lots of liquid available for many many innocultions. you could clone but them when you inoculate your jars i would still make mycelium liquid from it. then you have 100CC's of mycelium water. now you can kock up 100 jars. didnt read the link you poted maybe it has something like that in there.

--------------------
Psilocybe Cubensis

Offlinepcubes
Stranger

#9069752 - 10/13/08 05:22 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

tripchip said:
screw your tek all together. try THIS tek. im telling you it works great and very easy. people have a lot of problems using karo, honey, and whatever else. although some have no problems at all. this is just my opinion and im sure some trusted cultivators will agree its a wonderfull tek. just my 2 cents though. either way good luck to ya!

Access denied.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #9069779 - 10/13/08 05:40 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I would highly recommend using agar to spot contaminants before inoculating anything with those spores. If you don't have access to agar, you could try this:

http://www.shroomery.org/8514/Agar-substitute

What you're doing now is a crapshoot.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: 2 reasonably ignorant questions [Re: FooMan]
    #9069790 - 10/13/08 05:50 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

this is true, if you got no contaminants from fooman's tek then use the method tripchip talks of to make a LC solution. It's a good combo.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
    #9070152 - 10/13/08 09:09 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Honey-water LC can be a huge mess. But if you're really going to continue using it and don't have a magnetic stirrer, most people toss in marbles, bits of broken glass, etc. at sterilization to help break up mycellium.

Also, you can keep it refrigerated for further use.

Offlineagent13
Fool
Male

Re: 2 reasonably ignorant questions [Re: Brennus]
    #9074583 - 10/14/08 03:00 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The only problem I have with the method tripchip is talking of seems to me that it uses an already colonised jar. Is that right?

i'm starting from scratch with only a print. I have jars of substrate but they haven't been inoculated, just sterilsed.

I will only be inoculating one solitary jar for starters, but if this LC is indeed viable then I can just keep that in the fridge and make another batch of myc using the other method you guys recommend.

I'm itching to knock up a jar and have posted more pics today of my LC over at my grow log thread, check it out if you'd like, the link's at the top of this thread.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#9074634 - 10/14/08 03:29 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The tek that fooman outlines would tell you if you have a viable culture. I was simply saying if you did that tek you could easily make a LC out of that product via the method truechip is talking about. I mean scaled down slightly I doubt you'll get as much out but it would probibly be more than enough and you'd know it was contaminant free. Furthermore You could have it ready quite quickly, the test dish that fooman linked to would colonize within a couple of days and any LC produced from that would be ready to go immediately.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures