Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetcp
Stranger
Help with cakes that might have been killed by an electric blanket
    #9063828 - 10/11/08 04:26 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

My friend and I started some BRF cakes about 5 days ago using regular brown rice that was just ground in a coffee grinder. We decided to try to carefuly use an electric blanket (yes, bad idea) to speed up colonization because the room temp. here is pretty cold. Anway as you can probably guess, as soon as we thought we had it set up right the heat spiked and the jars got pretty hot. It wasnt too long before we discovered this and removed the jars but were worried we killed the jars. Its been 5 days so far and theres not a sign of colonization.

I know were not supposed to assume theyre dead until 2 weeks have passed but is there anything I can do to increase my chances of them working? We have a total of 8 jars and we decided it was worth the risk of injecting some water in a couple of them because since the jars may have got dried out from the heat, it might be the only way for them to survive. So we injected it with pretty much the same method we did with spores, except we put about 2 1/2 mL in each jar.

Any other ideas I should try? At this point were getting pretty sure the heat killed the jars so we might as well experiment and see if anything works. I just really hope at least one jar ends up working because were out of spores.

;_;

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineP.Menace
Contradicting the Status Quo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Let Me See Potato Salad!!...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help with cakes that might have been killed by an electric blanket [Re: tcp]
    #9063834 - 10/11/08 04:29 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

And heres another reason why incubators are bad.

you will have the best luck at room temperature

--------------------

http://www.sporeworksgallery.com/Cubensae/Psilocybe_cubensis_Menace

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

Offlinetcp
Stranger
Re: Help with cakes that might have been killed by an electric blanket [Re: P.Menace]
    #9136914 - 10/26/08 02:18 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks, Menace. All but two of the jars have started colonizing now, the two that I 'experimentally' tried to save. I'm not upset though, because it's only 2 jars so I was willing to risk that because I honestly thought  all the jars were probably dead.

Anyway now my goal is to just get as many mushrooms ready for Halloween as I can. One jars is just now fully colonized, and we're waiting for it to pin. Another jar has three of the four inoculation spots colonized, but one of the spots didn't start colonizing till way later so it's going to be way past Halloween by the time this cake fruits any mushrooms.

Unless...Could I just birth the cake now and cut out the uncolonized part? Would that make a difference in how long it takes to start pinning?

Also, for the cake that is already fully colonized: Would I be more likely to get it pinning sooner if I birth it now or wait till it pins in the jar? I know my chances of getting enough mushrooms, if any by Halloween are slim but eh.

Edited by tcp (10/26/08 02:21 PM)

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Help with cakes that might have been killed by an electric blanket [Re: tcp]
    #9136968 - 10/26/08 02:32 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I really doubt you will see any results by halloween. Count a week after birthing the jars for pins to appear and close to another week for the fruits to be ready to pick.

But GL, let's hope you get lucky.

PS: Tripping outside with loads of people dressed up in scary costumes doesn't sound like a good idea :nonono:

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Offlinetcp
Stranger
Re: Help with cakes that might have been killed by an electric blanket [Re: Nibin]
    #9137011 - 10/26/08 02:43 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

PS: Tripping outside with loads of people dressed up in scary costumes doesn't sound like a good idea :nonono:

Teh heh heh...

Yeah, it's probably not going to happen anyways. I've only gone through the whole process of growing once before and I guess that time I did get lucky with a few of my jars which started to pin almost immediately after being fully colonized.

How about the other cake though? To fruit as fast as possible should we let it pin inside the jar or birth it now?

Edited by tcp (10/26/08 02:53 PM)

OfflineP.Menace
Contradicting the Status Quo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Let Me See Potato Salad!!...
Trusted Cultivator
    #9137319 - 10/26/08 03:51 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah I have projects going too that I would love to see by halloween... I have pins, but I am afraid that nothing will be ready by then

--------------------

http://www.sporeworksgallery.com/Cubensae/Psilocybe_cubensis_Menace

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies