Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: A little Aboriginal Inspiration [Re: Lat3ralus]
    #9057981 - 10/10/08 10:13 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Lat3ralus said:
wow, this post turned into an all out fisticuffs. It certainly is sad to see how while i am simply trying to express the beauty of our planet, people habitually turn to conflict. its a direct representation of the nature of modern man. cant we just read something for what its worth, appreciate it, and take something from it that will hopefully, somehow, make our lives more beautiful. come on guys, theres enough conflict in this world, why create more?

Hmmm...so if anyone disagrees with you, they are creating conflict?  :tongue:

Perhaps you were unaware that the stated purpose of this forum is to debate philosophical/spiritual topics?  This does not preclude agreement, certainly, but it does mean that lively disputation of ideas is both likely AND welcome.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLat3ralus
Psychonaut

Re: A little Aboriginal Inspiration [Re: Veritas]
    #9060997 - 10/10/08 09:55 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I DO understand that this forum is set up for philisophical debate, and im not saying that anyone that disagrees with me is creating conflict. Im just trying to understand why we should be debating this subject at all. the point of my post was to express the concept of these peoples beliefs, and how even though I may not be aligned with their beliefs, i think its beautiful, and i want others to see this beauty.
back to my subject; the thing that struck me was how these "undeveloped" people have developed a belief system that is so profoundly simple yet is able to cause me, from the western world of "civilization", such a deep reflection of our mortality. all i really wanted out of posting this, again, was to spread this wonderful story, and maybe to help someone else  find some solace in a world thats so desensitized and isolated from death. we as a whole seem to look at death as a frightening, sad, depressing subject, whereas these people have developed a way to cope with their losses that doesnt sweep the subject under the rug, but embrace it.

--------------------
...push the envelope, watch it bend...

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
Re: A little Aboriginal Inspiration [Re: Lat3ralus]
    #9062041 - 10/11/08 05:51 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

I DO understand that this forum is set up for philisophical debate, and im not saying that anyone that disagrees with me is creating conflict. Im just trying to understand why we should be debating this subject at all. the point of my post was to express the concept of these peoples beliefs, and how even though I may not be aligned with their beliefs, i think its beautiful, and i want others to see this beauty.

So, you wanted your post to be an exception in this forum? :tongue:
Also, I don't see that beauty that you're talking about. What can be beautiful about a group people unified by lies and delusion?

Quote:

back to my subject; the thing that struck me was how these "undeveloped" people have developed a belief system that is so profoundly simple yet is able to cause me, from the western world of "civilization", such a deep reflection of our mortality.

It's the easiest thing in the world to develop a belief system. Here, I'll start believing in the holy power of the tomato, who's with me?
Also, what do you mean by "undeveloped"? Do you think you need to have any special knowledge in order to have thoughts that have no touch with reality? :lol:

Quote:

all i really wanted out of posting this, again, was to spread this wonderful story, and maybe to help someone else  find some solace in a world thats so desensitized and isolated from death.

On more time: I don't see anything spectacular or worth my attention in it.
Nobody's isolated from death, I have no idea what you're talking about. We all die and we all know that we'll die, so I fail to see how someone who's living in this permanent condition can be isolated from death. :cuckoo:

Quote:

we as a whole seem to look at death as a frightening, sad, depressing subject, whereas these people have developed a way to cope with their losses that doesnt sweep the subject under the rug, but embrace it.

"We" who? :strokebeard:

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: A little Aboriginal Inspiration [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #9062260 - 10/11/08 08:33 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

orgone is right
tv feeds on this stuff and uses it to manipulate people with no clear intention at all
anthropologists, who are not angels by any means, can better relate the reality and the cosmology of wha tis happenning in that tribe.

my take is that it is interesting but extremely primitive and merely symbolic.

if we want to be an ongoing influence after we die we have to do things that have a bit of lasting value, after we move on.

people may think about you and what you did, and may absorb it nicely into their lives if it is compelling in some way.

that can be positive or negative.
negatively we see the ongoing resonance of child abuse etc. through generations, positively we see how acts of kindness are practiced by noble families, like hiding jews from nazis in the war etc.

It does not need to be showy like that, just family kindness is enough...

art is a good way to make a bit of lasting influence, outside of family...
architecture can be good and can touch a lot of people in a good way.
philosophy and religion have been practiced and are a great way to disappear into a matrix that generations might follow and find you later.
same with math and science.

anything you do well will continue afterwards.
mummification - on the other hand - does not seem that great.
it is more Ozymandias than less egoistical pursuits:
Quote:

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

-Bercy Bysshe Shelly -

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder