Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenastea
Captain Obvious
Male

Loc: Mars
Re: Common misinformation about mushrooms that should be clarified [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9057506 - 10/10/08 07:41 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Trichoderma viride grows as green mycelium on the compost or casing, or on dead mushrooms, or on the boxes. Trichoderma koningi grows as a cottony mycelium over the developing mushrooms and can cause a wet rot. Both these fungi can cause a relatively unimportant spotting of the mushroom caps. However, a more serious disease, which appeared in the 1980s, is caused by a strain of T. harzianum. This grows in the compost, where it parasitizes the mushroom mycelium and can cause serious losses. Red pepper mites (Pygmephorus sellnicki, see below) are particularly associated with its presence.

So where as it may not affect you individually, it can be very dramatic to your cultivation.

--------------------
Commonly asked questions that have been answered far too many times.

PF Tek Videos
NOOB? Then read this
Grow Bag Pointers
Hygrometer Calibration
Incubation Temperatures
Best lighting source
Contaminants
Grow Guides

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Common misinformation about mushrooms that should be clarified [Re: Mad River]
    #9057767 - 10/10/08 09:09 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mad River said:
Quote:

iamsmooth said:
Ooh, another Myth I'd like to address:

I think I've read many times that casings should remain unsterilized, as the microorganisms in them are beneficial to mushrooms. Can anyone with experience confirm/deny this? Since a lot of people seem to say you should be sterilizing your casings.

I don't think anyone says to sterilize casings. They suggest pasteurization, rather.

I sterilized mine when I was using one . Once I started doing this , I very rarely ever saw the mean green again .

It worked for me:grin:

Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
Re: Common misinformation about mushrooms that should be clarified [Re: HippieChick]
    #9057848 - 10/10/08 09:34 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Wow.

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Common misinformation about mushrooms that should be clarified [Re: Mad River]
    #9058112 - 10/10/08 10:41 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Every pic you see in my gallery that's of a cased sub , the casing mix was sterilized .
I'd put the mix in quart jars and PC them just like food . The lids would seal and I'd store it for use whenever I needed it . It sat on a shelf

for 6 months or so and stayed good .

I'd make it on the dry side so it wouldn't clump together . It would sprinkle right of the jar and I'd mist it to get it to the proper moisture .:thumbup:

Peace,Love and Happiness

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Edited by HippieChick (10/10/08 11:54 AM)

OfflineT2K_Rusty
Rusty Shackleford
 User Gallery

Re: Common misinformation about mushrooms that should be clarified [Re: HippieChick]
    #9058190 - 10/10/08 11:01 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I just use vermiculite or jiffy mix straight out of a bag. The pressure cooker gets used for the jiffy if it's been opened before.  Verm is my favorite casing because there's nothing in it for mold to colonize. I just treat a casing layer as something to mist, for its ability to hold water well. If you grow cubensis a casing layer is not even necessary, but you would want to mist more without casing.  There's also parts of the casing application, that help give even pinsets. I have not mastered these pinset applications, and when i do get a beautiful pinset the shrooms just end up smaller and the same wieght comes out in the end- I like the idea of some monsters, over a canopy. Especially since i wont print a shroom cap that came into contact with another one.

--------------------
Sh sh shaw!

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
    #9058218 - 10/10/08 11:08 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

HippieChick said:
Every pic you see in my gallery that's of a cased sub , the casing mix was sterilized .
I'd put the mix in quart jars and PC them just like food . The lids would seal and I'd store it for use whenever I needed it . It sat on a shelf.

Cool. Good to know. Thanks.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract