Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibletox
'head

Loc: NE PA
Possible Amanitas?
    #905629 - 09/24/02 11:07 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hello all...by golly it?s been a while.

I found these familiar looking guys hanging out on an area composed of mostly tightly packed dirt and thin grassy patches. I always see them in the same spot (Construction site-I?m there all the time) and they always grow back quickly after being destroyed my errant carpenters, etc..

Mushrooms demystified says I may have Amanita Alba. I?d like a second opinion. (And a third and fourth...)

They?ve got a very strong portabella-like smell when fresh, both stems share the same base, similar to two golfballs. The largets of the two is rougly 7 inches long, the largest part of the cap being about 1.5 inches wide. The stems seem very solid, there is an evedent torn skirt. The stars on the caps have a slight texture to them, as if raised up slightly from the cap. The stems are very tightly woven fibers. No bruising these guys, either. I?d like an ID, please, and if someone could kindly tell me if they?ve had any experiences with them, I?d be most grateful.

--------------------
------
In your face, Space Coyote!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Possible Amanitas? [Re: tox]
    #905713 - 09/24/02 11:48 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Those look more to me like Lepiota rachodes. Could you show us a detailed view of the base of the stem to verify the appearance or presence of a volva as well as a view of the ring on the stem? Also, a spore print is a good idea, because Chlorophyllum molybdites is a possible (I don't think it is this time, but it's good to check) similar species. Finally, cut one in half vertically and watch for color changes inside the stem and cap (they may change color independently of each other). The color changes should occur within a few seconds on these.

Using a guitar pick for scale in the first photo is certainly unique - that's the first time I've seen one used for that.

Nice photos and description. Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisibletox
'head

Loc: NE PA
Re: Possible Amanitas? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #907749 - 09/25/02 06:53 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

After checking my field guide, I've come to the conclusion that they are indeed lepitoa rachid.

Thanks for the tip!
--tox

--------------------
------
In your face, Space Coyote!

Edited by tox (09/25/02 06:56 PM)

Offlineviscid
dikaryon

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #907924 - 09/25/02 08:14 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

lepiota rachid?
oh, you mean rachodes. rah! chodes!
uhm. they dont look brown enough to be procera....and if you're not in the east or midwest they're prolly not americana, so yeah, probably lepiota rachodes.
which i have found to be quite tasty. BUT, the possibility exists, especially with rachodes, that you may be rather sensitive to this mushroom, since idiosyncratic reactions (read: allergies) are reported fairly often.
they do like mulch. there is a bit of bruising to look for, and the spore print would rule out molybdites, which as is stated above has greenish spores (you can tell in mature specimens rather easily). also, the chlorophyllum also tends to be smoother and whiter, ie, has few scales....
check with your arora again, and if you think they are rachodes, they prolly are. some of the smaller lepiotas are known to contain amatoxins, but the larger ones are often good comestibles. (micro and macro- lepiotas)
whatever, good find, keep lookin, enjoy and peace!!!!!!!!!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #908305 - 09/25/02 11:07 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Please verify the spore print and bruising reactions as mentioned above. There are some poisonous lookalikes that that information will make sure you don't eat. Those two bits of data will verify exaclty which species you have.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification