Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

My setup... (im a noob) =) **pictures inside**
    #9056020 - 10/09/08 11:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

So, Ive been reading and watching videos for some time now. About a week and a half ago I figured I would get the stuff I need to get this going. I spent about $140 for this setup. Everything you see is what I bought. I had none of this stuff. Anyways, this is in a closet and for now I am just using a desk lamp as my "heating source." I know it is not Ideal, but for now its doing the trick. I will be buying a heating pad soon and a different type of light.

This is the entire closet. The shelf that the fruiting chamber is on has 2 pieces of wood instead of one solid one. This way I can separate them allowing the middle to let the air flow up and out. The top shelf is just storage for my glovebox and where I let my jars incubate.

This is my jars so far (note: they dont get this much light as the light shines from below) It has been exactly 7 days, 2 of the 4 jars are going great, one is very slow -just started seeing growth the other day. One jar has done nothing.

This is the very bottom of the closet... Just all my sanitizing stuff and jars and whatnot. I will be putting a small fan in the bottom to help circulate the air in here.

My fruiting chamber... I have another thermostat that will be inside this chamber as well. I will be using Perlite to humidify the chamber. I am debating on what type of light to mount above it. I will be getting one of the "longer" tube bulbs but it will be on a 12 hour on/off timer.

My glove box... the inserts are removeable and screw into place. I used Gorilla Glue to hold them to the bin. I used that type of glue because it expands when it dries, this way it will fill up any airholes that might leak out. I also rounded it off with some Caulk just to be extra sure holes were covered. The top of the bin has weather striping on both the lid and the sides of the rim.

Basically what the jars look like when its setup for them to incubate. (for now)

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated. And again, Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. I have learned alot from this site.

Edited by Nuzzle (10/15/08 01:31 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleR10tGuNn3r

Re: My setup... (im a noob) =) [Re: Nuzzle]
    #9056048 - 10/09/08 11:24 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

and here i was expecting pictures or something..

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

Re: My setup... (im a noob) =) [Re: R10tGuNn3r]
    #9056055 - 10/09/08 11:25 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

lol sorry... like i said, im a noob... i just figured it out. :smile:

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

InvisibleR10tGuNn3r

#9056080 - 10/09/08 11:30 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

nice setup it looks good! you've done your research. That light might not be so good though.. im not sure because i use daylight.. but im pretty sure they have to be a certain spectrum.. might get a little warm in the closet too. keep an eye on it.

Offlineapostle11
Zoom Zoomers
Male

#9056093 - 10/09/08 11:31 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well for being a noob looks like you got it well under control, good luck with your grow!!!

--------------------

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#9056099 - 10/09/08 11:32 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Yea I am still making tweaks here and there. I check the temp atleast 2 times a day...  The light is doing good just for "heating" up the jars from underneath. Although when it comes time for fruiting, I will have something else to use for that... What, i dont know yet. :smile: lol ideas anyone??

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

OfflineLothario
Lovable
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the middle
    #9056108 - 10/09/08 11:34 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

So what's ur question? What are you planning to do with those jars?

InvisibleR10tGuNn3r

#9056120 - 10/09/08 11:37 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

do a search on it.. the first thing that comes to my mind is some type of aquarium light or small halogen maby..

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#9056131 - 10/09/08 11:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

lol well I dont really have any questions i guess... I mean I just dont know what type of bulb to use for the fruiting part of it... I dont want something that gives off alot of heat.
As far as what I am going to do with the jars.... Since I got the wrong ones, I am going to smash them open hopefully not fucking up the cake inside and then fruit them...

Any ideas how to break the jar "nicely" ? lol

--------------------

InvisibleR10tGuNn3r

#9056154 - 10/09/08 11:43 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

with a hammer :P usually a tap on the lip right under where it threads will sever the bottle neck part without causing too much damage to your cake.. be sure to do it over an empty bucket or trash can

Invisibleblood4blood
Calmer Than You Are

Loc: The Valley
    #9056156 - 10/09/08 11:44 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

6500 K fluro is what your looking for for a light source.

OfflineLothario
Lovable
Male User Gallery

Re: My setup... (im a noob) =) [Re: Lothario]
    #9056163 - 10/09/08 11:45 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

That's hilarious dude :smile: Were u going to do a cake type setup? You might want to consider making some sort of casing and scoop the stuff out of the jars instead of breaking them. You could use those jars for grains later.

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

Re: My setup... (im a noob) =) [Re: Lothario]
    #9056178 - 10/09/08 11:46 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks blood for the lighting info... and r10 for the breakage... lol

Lothario.... I was planning on doing a cake setup into perlite but i goofed on the jars, and by the time i realized it was too late... so I said fuck it... lol the jars are so cheap, im not worried about breaking them. lol

--------------------

OfflineLothario
Lovable
Male User Gallery

#9056191 - 10/09/08 11:49 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

That's cool man, I hope it works out. Good luck!

Offlineiamsmooth
Stranger

#9056238 - 10/09/08 11:58 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Like Loth said, you're probably better breaking the cake into pieces and casing it, since breaking the jar would be kinda dangerous, lol :o

Oh and if you're doing a shotgun FC, you may wanna leave your closet door open. In a closed space like a closet (or anywhere that airflow is restricted), a shotgun FC doesn't work properly, since it relies on the natural airflow of a room for FAE and humidity.

Another thing, it looks like you're using a finer type of vermiculite, possibly Shultz? Anyways, if you can get courser verm, the myc colonizes a LOT faster. My fine verms always take at least 2 weeks longer than the courser stuff.

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

Re: My setup... (im a noob) =) [Re: iamsmooth]
    #9056262 - 10/10/08 12:03 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

This is the type of verm I am using....

Do you think a small fan blowing the air around would help??

--------------------

Edited by Nuzzle (10/10/08 12:04 AM)

Offlineiamsmooth
Stranger

#9056303 - 10/10/08 12:13 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The verm is fine, all I'm saying is if you have some extra money, invest in some courser verm to experiment with; you should be able to see a big difference in colonization time.

As for a fan, I don't think it'll work if you leave the closet closed, since you'd be basically blowing stale air all around (but don't take my word for it, just my opinion). I think leaving the closet door open is perfectly fine. Light doesn't affect your colonizing jars either, they'll colonize perfectly fine even if exposed to light.

InvisibleR10tGuNn3r

Re: My setup... (im a noob) =) [Re: iamsmooth]
    #9056345 - 10/10/08 12:21 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

agreed.. i wouldnt mess with getting a new bulb and whatnot.. if you leave the door open you get better fae and ambient light which is fine for fruiting and wont hurt colonizing jars at all..

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#9056368 - 10/10/08 12:25 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

sounds good... i will look into a coarser verm and crack the door... maybe i'll cut a hole in the top part of the door and put some kind of screen in it so the air can filter out.... hmmmmm we'll see... lol

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9057321 - 10/10/08 07:43 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Remove the foil from your jar. Its stopping gas exchange. Build up of toxic co2 will cause slow/stalled growth.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation