Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineillusionn
The Quiet One
Male

Loc: The City of the Sewer
How is this - brf cake
    #9055846 - 10/09/08 08:41 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Followed the directions to make pf cakes, etc.

Question. On my test jar only one out of the four inoculation points show growth? :confused: It is no big deal, just wondering how/why. I obviously had sterile techniques and I know that I injected it correctly so whats up? I do see small gray spots like the mycellium is going to grow, but just hasnt yet..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

Re: How is this - brf cake [Re: illusionn]
    #9055867 - 10/09/08 08:45 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

how long has it been since you inoculated them?
I did 4 at a time... about a week ago... 2 of the 4 jars are showing nicely... one isnt doing anything at all, and the other one just started showing growth at one inoculation point....

Its been exactly 7 days.

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

Offlineillusionn
The Quiet One
Male

Re: How is this - brf cake [Re: Nuzzle]
    #9055906 - 10/09/08 08:56 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

this is sorta bad, but i totally forgot the date i did it. it couldn't have been more than 2 weeks ago though. the odd thing is that almost one whole side of the jar is colonized but there is no other growth in the other inoculation points.

InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Loc: Temple
    #9055925 - 10/09/08 09:00 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The spores either didn't germinate due to something wrong with that half of the jar or there isn't great enough air exchange to support all the jar.

--------------------

You will be missed

Offlineillusionn
The Quiet One
Male

Re: How is this - brf cake [Re: TheShroomJew23]
    #9055943 - 10/09/08 09:03 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The tek I pretty much used I saw it on youtube. They showed me I could use 2 layers of aluminum foil on a half pint cup. This was just a start for me, just so I could get everything down and understood. Appreciate the reply though..

edit, so i was wondering if that's good enough air exchange.

Edited by illusionn (10/09/08 09:05 PM)

InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

#9056100 - 10/09/08 09:32 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Did u take the aluminum off the top of the jars after sterilizing.

--------------------

You will be missed

OfflineNuzzle
Misunderstood
 User Gallery

#9056153 - 10/09/08 09:43 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

my four jars I have going right now do not have the top layer of verm in the jar, just the foil on top.... and 3/4 are doing well...
(i forgot about the top layer of verm when I made the jars) and i figured ehhh lets gamble.

--------------------
:hi:**If you have any spare spore prints lying around, and your feeling 'giving' drop me a PM** :dancer:

Offlineillusionn
The Quiet One
Male

#9056164 - 10/09/08 09:45 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah once actually. It wasn't me and I was mad when it happened, but I assumed it wasn't off for too long and that wouldn't be a huge deal... Am I wrong?

InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

#9056242 - 10/09/08 09:59 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

If the jars have the verm layer then they foil should be off you are not supposed to leave it on after inoculation. As for Nuzzle those jars are going to look great at first and then they are going to slow down, then stall, and they will just perish after that so you can go to walgreens and buy micropore tape, in a sterile environment remove the tin foil and discard it, then place the tape over each hole. The tape acts as a filter just like the verm, Problem solved.

--------------------

You will be missed

Offlineillusionn
The Quiet One
Male

#9060316 - 10/10/08 06:34 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The thing is I'm trying to do this as low budget as possible...that's why I only have 1 cake and a mycobag going right now. So the micropore tape is pretty much out of the question for me, is there any alternatives? And I was almost positive I was supposed to leave the foil on. I do have a dry verm layer but I'm using a glass cup, - not jar, so I'm kinda confused.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9060402 - 10/10/08 06:53 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

micropore is cheap. im sure you could spare a few dollers (whatever it costs in trange american curnecy) to get tape.

1 cake and bag isnt alot to play with. from 1 cake youll be lucky to have enough to dose on if your unlucky.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlineillusionn
The Quiet One
Male

Re: How is this - brf cake [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9060574 - 10/10/08 07:37 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I can spare the money, I just don't want to. I just don't feel like making the effort to get it when there could be something that's around. Whatever is necessary though...

i'm pretty sure i can get something out of this. I only did one cake because of limited spores. that's what my objective is for this - more spores to use later on.

OfflineMcMoney
see through the mind.
Male

Loc: Florida.
    #9060589 - 10/10/08 07:41 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

if you are truly dedicated you shouldn't cut corners.
exspecially if your new to growing.
alot of newbies make mistakes because of not following directions

--------------------
open your heart to the Love.
                                          open your mind to the Dream.

OfflineP.Menace
Contradicting the Status Quo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Let Me See Potato Salad!!...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How is this - brf cake [Re: McMoney]
    #9061109 - 10/10/08 10:26 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

http://www.sporeworksgallery.com/Cubensae/Psilocybe_cubensis_Menace

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

OfflineSteve
Stranger

Loc: AUS
    #9061646 - 10/11/08 01:50 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

illusionn said:
The thing is I'm trying to do this as low budget as possible...that's why I only have 1 cake and a mycobag going right now. So the micropore tape is pretty much out of the question for me, is there any alternatives? And I was almost positive I was supposed to leave the foil on. I do have a dry verm layer but I'm using a glass cup, - not jar, so I'm kinda confused.

May have already been answered but after you fill the jar with the wet mix within 1/2 inch of the rim fill the rest with dry vermiculite. AFTER PC'ing or oiling remove the foil and this dry verm will prevent your cake from being contaminated.

Also many products can be "acquired" from shops for free.

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How is this - brf cake [Re: Steve]
    #9061665 - 10/11/08 02:01 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

see... this question belongs in the other thread in question.

no disrespect OP
:jacked:

Quote:

if you are truly dedicated you shouldn't cut corners.
exspecially if your new to growing.
alot of newbies make mistakes because of not following directions

and I agree with McMoney

--------------------

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

Loc: Grey Area
    #9061921 - 10/11/08 03:35 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

illusionn said:
...only one out of the four inoculation points show growth...

Sometimes if you don't let the needle cool enough it will roast the spores for the first (few) hole(s).

On that note, I'd be very interested to see if everyone who complains about this problem had first labeled the inoculation points in succession from 1 to 4 in the order they shot through, which would turn out to be the non-growers... I'd be willing to bet it'd almost always be 1(2(3)) in that order. Hmmm... maybe that should be added to the PF Tek...

OfflineP.Menace
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How is this - brf cake [Re: CDS]
    #9061930 - 10/11/08 03:38 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

wrong... more like roast the first few spores that come out the end, the rest are fine.

--------------------

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

Re: How is this - brf cake [Re: P.Menace]
    #9062439 - 10/11/08 09:40 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Oh well, it was a good idea anyway... According to this thread at least...

Then why do some jars only show growth from one inoculation point, would you say?

Actually, wait a minute, if you flamed between each hole, and also flamed with spore water in the needle, instead of the needle full of air and then squirt to cool it, that may just do it. Whatdya think?

Edited by CDS (10/11/08 09:53 AM)

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #9062453 - 10/11/08 09:49 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

did you shake your syringe up before using it?

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleCDS
 User Gallery

Re: How is this - brf cake [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9062454 - 10/11/08 09:49 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
micropore is cheap...

Where do you get micropore, and what is it [commonly] used for? Do they have it at lowes or homedepot? I asked at both stores and of course the guy looked at me like I was asking for f'n dilithium crystals or something. However knowing the caliper of employee at those kind of stores, I'm sure even if they did have it they wouldn't know anyway...

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #9062465 - 10/11/08 09:52 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

it's a medical tape...

should be right next to the bandaids.

so you will find it in drug stores, grocery stores and stores that have health care products.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlineillusionn
The Quiet One
Male

Re: How is this - brf cake [Re: Roadkill]
    #9062593 - 10/11/08 10:47 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the links to the n00b threads, but no thanks. I've read through all it before but I just haven't retained the information which is why I'm finally doing it as a "hands on" approach.

Before I cooked up the jars, I followed this just for a visual guide

I saw some discussion of the jars not being able to breathe due to the double layers of foil - but this guy doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Which is why i thought it should be okay. Shroomery doesn't seem to think so. Yes I shook my syringe, and no I didn't flame it more than once.

And to be honest, I'm not dedicated to growing mushrooms. I'm not that far yet. As far as I'm concerned it's a small hobby and I'm not ready to dig too far into it.

This just turned into something way too complicated. I just wanted a few simple answers as to why this could be, but it's appreciated...

edit. i keep gettin' bad vibes...I'm just trying to get people on the same level as me. I realize that I will probably end up buying micropore tape, but I just don't want to do that yet & I just wanted a temp fix for this.

Edited by illusionn (10/11/08 10:55 AM)

Invisiblesaved by zero
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#9065775 - 10/12/08 06:32 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

OK, this is how I'm reading this.
Micropore tape is NOT needed if dry verm is used from the git-go.  Since you neglected to use the dry verm layer, it was suggested that in the future you use the tape to keep contaminants out(after innoc.).  I guess you could also have used tyvek paper wrapped around the jar lid with a rubber band.  Again, to keep contams out AFTER inoculation.  I read that you forgot the verm layer, just don't forget next time and the use of the tape would not be needed.  If you do forget again, USE the tape while incubating to keep out contams.

Am I correct here?

--------------------
I'm not a redneck, I'm a Appalachian-American

Offlineillusionn
The Quiet One
Male

Re: How is this - brf cake [Re: saved by zero]
    #9066361 - 10/12/08 11:23 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

What? I didn't mention anything about a dry verm layer. Yes I do have it. My bad if I forgot to say that before...

OfflineT2K_Rusty
Rusty Shackleford
 User Gallery

#9066768 - 10/12/08 01:58 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Well what mixture did you use? Maybe it's not uniform throughout the jar. The video you posted just says to mix water/verm, then brf. Did you do 2 parts verm, 1 part water, mix, add 1 part brf and re-mix?

How many CC's of spore solution were used in the jar? 1cc per half pint, is about what you should use.

Elaborate more on the grey spots you speak of. This could possibly be a type of mold, like cobweb. Cobweb can be very thin and spread incredibly fast, fully colonizing a jar before germination even happens. If this is the case, the substrate is held by the cobweb and those parts will not colonize with shroom mycellium.

Has any more growth happened in the suspect area of the jar?

--------------------
Sh sh shaw!

Offlineillusionn
The Quiet One
Male

Re: How is this - brf cake [Re: T2K_Rusty]
    #9066922 - 10/12/08 02:39 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I decided I'd upload a picture just to show a little bit. The side you see is the only side with any growth whatsoever.

I used roughly 2cc's. I'm pretty sure this glass is a little bigger than a half pint jar. Figured it'd be perfect because it's tapered.

Maybe the mixture isn't uniform. I remember measuring out amounts and mixing it as I should have, but this was my first time doing it so I don't know.

I'm 100% positive I don't have any contams as of now. The gray spots I mentioned just looked like beginnings of mycellium but I am not sure because none of it has grown.

I also highlighted a spot that I have just seen since yesterday that is separate from the other growth. Kinda stumped as to why this is also on this one side of the jar... This seems like it's going to take a lot longer than it should to colonize.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates