Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: Calling gentoo users [Re: supra]
    #9092985 - 10/17/08 06:05 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

you should give sabayon linux a shot. it is basically gentoo in 30 minutes. once it is installed, you can set your flags how you want them and rebuild in the background while still having a perfectly functional gentoo install.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the space between reality...
    #9093026 - 10/17/08 06:15 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I'm using the 64bit firefox with a wrapper for flash.. annoyingly the sound won't work with my usb soundcard.. Its an annoyance that I keep on forgetting to fix :lol:.

If you want to run unstable software, the best way to do it is using package.keywords, that way your package tree doesn't get fucked and you can still use stable software.

As for mencoder, have you tried one of the ~amd64 versions? quite often that works :smile:.

--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#9093139 - 10/17/08 06:42 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

supra said:
... got out systemrescuecd, chrooted in, reinstalled, ...

that's actually how i did my last gentoo install. i was using linux mint to check it out. i opened aterm, created a new partition, wget'ed the gentoo tree and kernel, etc. i did the entire install through that aterm while playing inside mint. then upon reboot, i had my functional gentoo install with X and all.

--------------------

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
Re: Calling gentoo users [Re: Cepheus]
    #9093612 - 10/17/08 08:23 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

from what I understand, you cannot install mencoder on its own, but just set the USE flag encode for mplayer.  When doing so it gets the dependency, and yes, I have tried to use the ~amd64 version, and it still crashes during compile.

almost done with the emerge -uavDN world now, it was 374 packages...lol...a few of which were openoffice stuff, which takes a long freaking time...

hopefully everything else still works afterwards, we will see.

Also, i just can't stand the performance of flash in firefox 64bits using the nsplugginwrapper, watching full screen is uselss, as it drops frames like mad, I wonder if using firefox-bin would fix this?  i guess there is only one way to find out...

thanks for all the help.

peace

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#9093850 - 10/17/08 09:08 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

there is an openoffice-bin. i believe it is actually a newer version than the self compile one in portage.

--------------------

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Re: Calling gentoo users [Re: automan]
    #9094311 - 10/17/08 10:46 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, well, it already made it past that part, im down to only 27 packages left.  However, moving over to the ~amd64 tree, has installed kde 4.1.2 for me, and its :awesome:

anyways, now Im having a problem with getting amarok recompiled, version 1.90-r1, somethign about package collisions, which I am workign on figuring out now.

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
    #9099715 - 10/19/08 11:57 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

well, i went ahead and decided on starting, over, this time in the ~amd64 from beginning.  I used the funtoo ~amd64 stage3 tarball to do it, since it comes with all updated gcc, glibc, and portage already.  It seems to cause problems when you upgrade these yourself then do the emerge -eavDN system && emerge -eavDN world.  Anyways, getting it up and going takes a while, got the new base system installed, but formatting / and following the handbook from section 4 i think, except i used systemrescueCD and funtoo stage3, both which should be mentioned in the handbook IMO, as it makes the whole process much easier.  Having the graphical browser during install is a life saver and makes it so much easier.

Anyways, got X and kde4.1.2 up and running last night, going to do a little more work on it today, hopefully i can finally get mencoder installed...lol

Oh, and dont use the 'desktop' profile under the 2008.0 default profile, because it causes mass circular dependencies, going back to the default fixed this.

I may check out Sabayon whenever i do my daughters computer, if i ever get around to it, still have to work on the PS3 too.

peace

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
    #9105869 - 10/20/08 07:13 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

well, after spending a few days with it, and getting everything back to how I wanted it on the old system (could never finish), i have found that using the testing branch (~amd64) is actually MORE stable than I ever had it just unmasking certain packages in package.keywords.  I am much happier now.  Also, decided to install firefox-bin instead of 64bits firefox, and I must say, performance is leaps and bounds better, just in normal browsing and in watching flash.

Also finally got mencoder to install, though this time it didn't have the dependency on the package that wouldn't compile last time, anyways, testing branch ftw.

peace

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#9106272 - 10/20/08 08:23 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i agree with everything you just said. that's how i do it. i get anything i want above testing through overlays

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]