Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenenl
Strangest

Re: Filter Disk????????? [Re: powerisknowlege]
    #9053906 - 10/09/08 02:10 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Man, you're making this harder than it has to be.

1 - whatever order you want will be fine as long as the screw cap is last - no need for tyvec on pftec.
2 - any hole you can get a needle through is fine
3 - ??? stick the needle in and press the plunger ???
4 - .5 cc - 1cc per hole

You will get all sorts of different and sometimes opposing opinions here. The best thing you can do is dive in and see what works for you.

I understand you want to get this right, but no matter what you'll probably stumble your first time out. Just go for it and have fun.

This is science, not math... 2+2 does not always equal 4 but it'll be pretty close.

--------------------
hehe

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepowerisknowlege
Stranger
Re: Filter Disk????????? [Re: nenl]
    #9054015 - 10/09/08 02:25 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

This is hard, If it is your first time. You are not born with knowledge of how to grow mushrooms. I like to be precise in every thing I do, instead of diving in and wasting my time and money. You may waste your time and your money, but I am not ignorant. I'm also not doing pf tek, make sure you read what is written.

Maybe I should have used different words for question 3.

Question 3) I should have been more specific and asked when I get done with my pressure cooking, should I take the lid off leaving the whole hole exposed and then shoot my spores in, Or how should this be done.

If any one can answer the questions with more precision I would appreciate it. If it is to much for you to do, thats fine too.

Thank you for you time and your knowledge.

Offlinenenl
Strangest

#9054086 - 10/09/08 02:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I guess I think differently - I look at the concept, not the technical steps. The concept is to not let contaminants in, so do not open the jar after sterilizing.

From one of my posts above:
Quote:

I use a double tyvec layer - one below jar lid, one above then screw the jar ring on. lid has 2 1/4 inch holes, one sealed with silicone for injection and extraction, the other for gas exchange.

I guess I assumed "...one sealed with silicone for injection..." was understood as stick the needle through the silicone to inoculate.

--------------------
hehe

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Filter Disk????????? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9054282 - 10/09/08 03:24 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

Boris said:
in order to achieve gas exchange there has to be a hole letting this exchange happen, there-for letting in fresh air too............ wallah :shrug:

Wrong.

Gas exchange is a very small amount.  It's just enough to prevent toxic CO2 from building up sufficiently to stop growth.  If the holes are too big, or you don't use the lid and only use filter material, you then provide too much, which is what we mean by 'air exchange' and it will lead to premature pinning in the jars, which you DON'T want if you're spawning to bulk substrate.

This has all be covered thousands of times before.  Search for a thread by Hyphae titled 'the difference between gas exchange and air exchange'.
RR

Wallah , LMAO:grin:

Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Invisibleblz3432
Stranger
    #9054337 - 10/09/08 03:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

powerisknowlege said:

QUESTION 3) When I shoot the juice in the jars, how should I go about doing this?

If you don't have a glove box or flow hood : putting a small amount of Rtv/Silicone on the Tyvek works well.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9054499 - 10/09/08 04:18 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

1)I guess the filter can go under or over the metal disc. I doubt it really matters, im just taking a guess though. (never used filter discs)

2)4 holes big enough for a needle to pass through is fine. Most people use a small sized nail to punch a hole in the lid. id say around an 1/8th inch.

3) You dont want to puncture the filter. In sterile conditins (glove box or infront of a laminar flow hood) quickly lift the metal disc and filter quickly and imediatly drop some spore solution in and put disc and lid lid back on.

4)Another wild guess based on what is used for 1/4 pints, id say 2-4cc.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Filter Disk????????? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9054557 - 10/09/08 04:33 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Question 3) I should have been more specific and asked when I get done with my pressure cooking, should I take the lid off leaving the whole hole exposed and then shoot my spores in, Or how should this be done.

Take the foil off and leave it off after sterilization.  Flame the needle red hot, and then inject through the tyvek filter and the hole in the lid, with the tyvek on TOP.  Have a piece of micropore medical tape waiting and immediately cover the hole you just made in the tyvek with micropore tape.

For grains you only need to inject once. For quart or liter jars, I'd suggest 2ml, and squirt it against the glass so it runs down the side.  Don't shake afterward.  Wait for about 25% colonization and then shake the jar to distribute the colonized grains.  After the shake, it should be fully colonized within a week.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinepowerisknowlege
Stranger
Re: Filter Disk????????? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9054673 - 10/09/08 04:59 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate it alot.

OfflineBoris
Viking Warrior, of Valour
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX. Flag
    #9055377 - 10/09/08 07:15 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Here is a look at my LC jar;

The red stuff in the middle is a hole filled with :

So when I stick a needle in, innoc, then pull out it keeps a airtight seal through the whole proses (Lowering chances for contams)

this is the proses I do:

Wallah :wink: ...just for you HC.:regularshroom:

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

Edited by Boris (10/09/08 07:29 PM)

Offlinepowerisknowlege
Stranger
Re: Filter Disk????????? [Re: Boris]
    #9055541 - 10/09/08 07:42 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Where were you this morning? Thanks a ton. That is bad ass that you took the time to help. I also like the quotes at the bottom.

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9055665 - 10/09/08 08:06 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

thanks, and NP. Feel free to rate me :rofl:

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

Offlinepowerisknowlege
Stranger
Re: Filter Disk????????? [Re: Boris]
    #9055952 - 10/09/08 09:06 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Tell me how to, and I will for sure rate you.

OfflineBoris
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #9056269 - 10/09/08 10:04 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

haha, you just click on the mushrooms under my name/title.

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
    #9060585 - 10/10/08 07:40 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

powerisknowlege said:
Tell me how to, and I will for sure rate you.

Quote:

powerisknowlege said:
This is hard, If it is your first time. You are not born with knowledge of how to grow mushrooms. I like to be precise in every thing I do, instead of diving in and wasting my time and money. You may waste your time and your money, but I am not ignorant. I'm also not doing pf tek, make sure you read what is written.

:omg:    :partykid:    :omg:

Offlinenenl
Strangest

#9060768 - 10/10/08 08:37 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I feel for ya man, but really, let go. You can get all the book knowledge possible and will still probably mess up your first time out. You're doing right by researching first, but there comes a time when you have to cut the umbilical and be on your own. Don't focus on us that are busting your chops - just do it and you'll learn mire from personal experience than most things you'll learn by reading the rules.

You'll never get a rule book here - you'll get parts of each persons experience. some of it will work for you some of it will not, but you'll never know till you try something.

If you want a step 1 step 2 step 3 then just do the PF Tek as instructed from www.mushroomvideos.com. Do it 10 times or whatever makes you comfortable, then move on to the more subjective areas.

I've said to you before this is science, not math. the answer is not always the same, but it's usually pretty close.

--------------------
hehe

Offlinepowerisknowlege
Stranger
    #9060873 - 10/10/08 09:14 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I disagree. I have got step by step instructions each time I have tried any tek here. I always succeed because of the extensive questions that I ask. I'm glad you all jump in. I do not. The rewards are success the first time. You can all wait for the second or third. I choose not too.

Again, Thank you all who have given advice. I now know what to do, so you do not have to continue to post replies. I will have more questions later down road. I will ask for specifics on them ass well. If you do not want to help. Cool. If you do. it is greatly appreciated.

Offlinenenl
Strangest

#9060900 - 10/10/08 09:23 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Do what's right for you. I (we) are trying to push our philosophies. Take what you want and leave what you don't...

--------------------
hehe

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #9060916 - 10/10/08 09:28 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

WTF? There's more pointless rambling in this thread then the presidential debates.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinenenl
Strangest

Re: Filter Disk????????? [Re: FooMan]
    #9060923 - 10/10/08 09:31 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Even though I am adding a fair amount of pointless rambling, I agree...

NOBAMA NOBAMA NOBAMA

I know it doesn't technically warrant a lock, but it might be best for all of us...:psychsplit:

--------------------
hehe

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
    #9060986 - 10/10/08 09:50 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

powerisknowlege said:
I have got step by step instructions each time I have tried any tek here. I always succeed because of the extensive questions that I ask. I'm glad you all jump in. I do not.

Look, nobody's telling you to jump in without learning what you're doing first. The problem is your method of research. All of the questions you've asked are answered ad nauseum 100's of times here. Your inquiries indicate that you have not done extensive reading before asking them. No-one wants to type a step-by-step plan just for you, when there are tons of very clear, concise Teks here at your disposal. People here are very helpful, very knowledgable, and very friendly, and  will answer your questions, but when you don't undertand the general context, it is frustrating.

Please don't take this as an insult, or poking fun at you. Everyone starts somewhere. You really just need to go back, read up on various teks, and read what others have done before. You will learn an amazing amount very quickly. If you don't understand something, do a search. Keep reading. Soon you will find that you have a lot better understanding of the hobby, and you will ask a lot better questions.

That's my piece. Peace & good fortune to you.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate