Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineebag123
Stranger
question about hermit crab sand
    #9038523 - 10/06/08 06:30 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

pretty soon im starting up a little p. cubensis grow, so today i was out looking for some supplies. i dropped by a petco to grab some calcium carbonate and found some in the form of white hermit crab sand made by zoo med.

when i got home i realized that it contains magnesium carbonate, which ive read is bad for the fungi. will this affect my jars? by the way, the substrate i will be using is hard winter wheat berries.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineneybis
Master of the Custodial Arts

Re: question about hermit crab sand [Re: ebag123]
    #9038538 - 10/06/08 06:34 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i believe less than 3% is ok, i would perform more searches...the brand that i know of is called calcisand, 100% calcium carbonate. i would search the brand name and see if anyone has had any problems with it.

what brand is it btw...??

--------------------
"Why is there so much controversy about drug testing? I know plenty of guys who would be willing to test any drug they could come up with."

Offlineebag123
Stranger
Re: question about hermit crab sand [Re: neybis]
    #9039155 - 10/06/08 08:35 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

the brand is zoo med. i did a little search online before and didn't find the percentage of magnesium or anything.

Offlinefrock
Re: question about hermit crab sand [Re: ebag123]
    #9039760 - 10/06/08 10:37 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I buy CalciSand from Petco. Its 100% calcium carbonate.  Should be sitting right next to zoomed Vita-Sand.

The Vita Sand to my best knowledge should work fine to.  After looking at the ingredients.  Its also calcium carbonate but fortified with some other vitamins.

I say go for it.  I rarely have any contams  after I started adding some calcium carbonate to my substrate and casing layers.  It helps wonders.

Offlineshroomie_glen
RedHotPussyLiquor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Narf Carolina Flag
Re: question about hermit crab sand [Re: frock]
    #9041231 - 10/07/08 09:27 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Ground Egg shells.  Fuck anything else.  Egg shells are free.  (provided you eat the eggs)

dry them after you use them, then grind them in spice grinder.  Add  to sub before pasteuriztion.

EaSy as eggs.

--------------------

No. No, man. Shit, no man.  I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' somethin' like that man.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: question about hermit crab sand [Re: shroomie_glen]
    #9041530 - 10/07/08 10:33 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Ground Egg shells.  Fuck anything else.  Egg shells are free.

They also take well over a year to break down and become available, so are totally worthless for mycology.  In fact, I recently spread out some four year old compost, and the egg shells were still intact, so they're of minimal use for gardens as well.

You don't need calcium carb in your substrates, and it's of minimal benefit in casing layers.  I'd suggest using gypsum at up to 10% by volume in both, and add some hydrated lime to your casing layers to raise the pH to a level that makes it inhospitable to mold spore germination.  Search posts using my name and hydrated lime for all the info you'll need on the subject.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineebag123
Stranger
Re: question about hermit crab sand [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9047179 - 10/08/08 11:20 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

thanks a bunch RR.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate