Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMagic_Hobo
Stranger
FAE in a closet
    #9042817 - 10/07/08 02:47 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

This is my first grow ever, and I have 17 PF Jars incubating (B+ strain), they were inoculated about 10 days ago.  Six of them are looking much better than expected, six of them look about as I expected from the 10 days picture in the MMGG (some have bigger mycelia growth, but only three inoculation points are starting to colonize), and five of them either have growth the size of a dime and/or only 2-3 inoculation points colonized.  If anyone knows why some of the jars are having problems, I would appreciate it if ya could help me out so I can fix the problem next time.  I was thinking the substrate might be too dry? I mixed them all the same (2/3c verm, 1/4c water, 1/4c BRF).

Anyways, my main concern is that I was planning on fruiting them in a shotgun FC much like the one that is shown in RRs videos, but they will not be able to get proper FAE in a closet.  I have read a lot of threads about closets, and people keep saying that it is undesirable to fruit in the closet because I will get contams.

So, my plan is to clean the closet (there is nothing in it besides my incubator and then the FC will be in there on a shelf).  I was going to spray the closet heavily with Lysol and clean the walls, floor, and shelf with alcohol or something.  I also plan to hook up a fan in the closet, point it at the wall, and set it on a timer of maybe 15min on every 2 hours?  I will leave the closet open every day when I go to work (8 AM-4PM) but I will probably need to shut it at night and on the weekends when people other than myself and my girlfriend will be at the house.

Basically, my question is that if I do these things am I still likely to get contams growing in a closet? Or, is there another method (instead of a shotgun FC) that would be suitable for a beginner using a closet?

I would really like to fruit them in a closet if possible (a good number of people come to my house, and I would rather not tell all of them about my little project) but I guess if completely necessary I can fruit them somewhere more open.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekrypto2000
Unknown

Re: FAE in a closet [Re: Magic_Hobo]
    #9042873 - 10/07/08 02:58 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I grew in a closet for about a year with no problem. I sprayed lysol in it and washed the walls with soap and water and that's it. Never did anymore cleaning in there for the next year I was growing. Had some jars get contaminated, but it was just because of poor sterilization techniques, not because of the closet I believe. If anything I introduced more contaminants into the closet by letting those be there, even had some contaminated jars sit there for months because I didn't feel like cleaning them. As long as you use some basic common sense sterilization techniques, I think you'll be fine.

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

#9042997 - 10/07/08 03:25 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I used to grow in closets exclusively .... mainly for stealth.  I built some shelves well up off the floor to hold 2 or 3 FCs.  The closet was full of clean clothes, shoes and whatever else people put in closets .... I had no problems with contamination.

Some things to consider:

- Is there an outlet in the closet? Electrical cords running under the closet door kind of kill the stealth deal.

- Run a little fan on a timer in the closet.  Point it against another wall so it is not directly pointing at your FC ... the air will bounce off the walls and circulate.

- Raise the shotgun FC an inch or so off the shelf (so air can ciculate under it) to maximize its design.

- Time your light cycle to correspond with daylight hours ..... 6,500k bright light beaming out underneath an over a closet door at night is not stealthy.

- Replace the closet door knob with a locking one .... peace of mind.

Good luck, have fun, be careful.

--------------------

OfflineMagic_Hobo
Stranger
Re: FAE in a closet [Re: uncle_rico]
    #9043127 - 10/07/08 03:56 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks to both of ya for answering, i appreciate the stealth pointers.

Is 15min on every 2 hours a good amount of time for the fan?  I was just going to use one of those small fans, the ones that move kinda side to side.  It will be on  the same shelf a couple feet away from the FC, and pointing away from the FC and towards the wall.

Also, it's going to get kind of cold where I live soon and I very rarely use the heat since it's so expensive, and I can't afford to keep the house 75F all day and night.  Could I use a space heater or something to keep my closet at the right temperature for fruiting even though the temperature drops to 50-60F at night?  Is there a risk of fire from the space heater?

Edited by Magic_Hobo (10/07/08 04:03 PM)

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

#9043200 - 10/07/08 04:07 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

An osculating fan is good .... as are your ideas. 

I'd go a little more than 15 min. every two hours .... depends on how many 'daily events' your timer has.  maybe 15 mins. on, 1 hour off, 15 mins. on .....  too much airlow will not hurt you with a shotgun FC ... except you may be rehydrating the perlite more often.

couple more questions / comments:

- What is the humidity in your closet? If you are in a dry dry climate, you may consider running a coolmist 24/7 in the closet to get the humidity to 50%.

- Do you have your FC yet?  I go for clear ones that are taller ... so you can get a bunch of drained perlite in there.

edit: yep. there is always a chance of fire with heaters ... so be cool.  cold temp will further dry out the air in your closet ..... maybe put a safe little ceramic space heater in there ...

--------------------

Edited by uncle_rico (10/07/08 04:11 PM)

OfflineMagic_Hobo
Stranger
    #9043647 - 10/07/08 05:19 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

My timer can turn on and off in 15 minute intervals, so 15 on and 1 hour off will work fine.
The coolmist is probably a good idea since the rH in the closet is most likely below 50. I will probably go get one next week.

OfflineMagic_Hobo
Stranger
    #9043763 - 10/07/08 05:38 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

My timer can turn on and off in 15 minute intervals, so 15 on and 1 hour off will work fine.
The coolmist is probably a good idea since the rH in the closet is most likely below 50. I will probably go get one next week.

Should I be worried about having a humidifier, fishtank heater, light, and fluorescent all plugged into one outlet?

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #9043887 - 10/07/08 06:03 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i wouldnt think so, as long as you dont use one of those block things that allow you to plug 4 plugs into a little square thng.           

i also suppose that depends on where you live. uk yeah no problems connecting 6 appliences to 1 outlet via a 6 way extension. us not to sure (us electrics in my experience have been a bit dodgy).

a single socket is usually rated at 16 amps while a double socket is 32 amps. i doubt a heater humidifier light and fan will even exceed 10 amps.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

InvisibleBlasphemous
Novice Mushroom Hunter
Female

Re: FAE in a closet [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9043973 - 10/07/08 06:22 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

My FC was basically in a wooden box built into the ground with a lid on it. Only the top was ever taken off and the FC was never taken out. The only thing this was, if I forgot to fan out the enclosure itself i got small thin fruits.

It worked out fine, just fan the closet out itself every time you fan your FC; an extra 10 seconds tops....There shouldn't be a need for a fan(EDIT: an electric fan), but it couldn't hurt.

Of course with only one successful grow, all of my information is biased.

--------------------
"Liars prosper."
~Anonymous
[quote]lexmark said:
no, howbout you learn to be illiterate[/quote]:rofl:

Edited by Blasphemous (10/07/08 10:53 PM)

OfflineMagic_Hobo
Stranger
Re: FAE in a closet [Re: Blasphemous]
    #9044610 - 10/07/08 08:10 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

How many times a day should I fan the FC and mist the perlite? I was thinking about 3-4.
I'll definitely make sure I also fan out the closet, and I'll try to leave the door open at least 8 hrs a day.

OfflineJeets
Stranger

Re: FAE in a closet [Re: veda_sticks]
    #9044921 - 10/07/08 08:59 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
i wouldnt think so, as long as you dont use one of those block things that allow you to plug 4 plugs into a little square thng.           

i also suppose that depends on where you live. uk yeah no problems connecting 6 appliences to 1 outlet via a 6 way extension. us not to sure (us electrics in my experience have been a bit dodgy).

a single socket is usually rated at 16 amps while a double socket is 32 amps. i doubt a heater humidifier light and fan will even exceed 10 amps.

Do you mean a surge protector? You would be 100000x safer plugging many things into a surge protector than straight into your wall.

OfflineSteve
Stranger

Loc: AUS
    #9045983 - 10/08/08 12:42 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Magic_Hobo said:
How many times a day should I fan the FC and mist the perlite? I was thinking about 3-4.
I'll definitely make sure I also fan out the closet, and I'll try to leave the door open at least 8 hrs a day.

I think the general consensus is 3 or 4 times a day MINIMUM.
The more the better

OfflineSteve
Stranger

Loc: AUS
    #9046002 - 10/08/08 12:46 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Magic_Hobo said:

I think the general consensus is 3 or 4 times a day MINIMUM.
The more the better

OfflineMagic_Hobo
Stranger
Re: FAE in a closet [Re: Steve]
    #9046637 - 10/08/08 08:03 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, I'll try to fan and mist more than 4 times a day.
I was thinking of trying to spawn some of the cakes to coir/coffee grounds in aluminum baking trays like in oatman's coir tek.Can I fruit the trays in a perlite humidified shotgun fc like the one for my cakes or do I need to make something more elaborate? If I keep rH up high, can I do without casing?

Edited by Magic_Hobo (10/08/08 09:31 AM)

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

#9047230 - 10/08/08 11:30 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

This little bulk substrate tray and another one like it were done in the lime green shotgun FC you can see .... in a closed closet described above.

Go for it.

--------------------

Invisibledoze
Stranger

#9047345 - 10/08/08 11:55 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

you should be fine

--------------------
But I'll bounce back for mine is a heart made of iron forged in the darkest smithy of despair! Alloyed with hate and melancholy! corroded by anger! oxidized by fury!

OfflineMagic_Hobo
Stranger
Re: FAE in a closet [Re: doze]
    #9047773 - 10/08/08 01:33 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, thanks for the advice. Did ya just set the trays right on top of the perlite?  Will I be okay if I can't find micropore tape to cover the holes in the foil while I am colonizing the coir?

Also, I'm going to start 6 more jars for those ones that still are not growing...should I add less water to the substrate since I think they are too wet? I used 2/3c verm, 1/4c water, 1/4c BRF but the mix was always more than fit in the jars. The mix worked for the rest of the jars so I don't know what's up...

Edited by Magic_Hobo (10/08/08 02:27 PM)

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

#9048196 - 10/08/08 02:53 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I did not place the trays directly on the perlite.  I built a little rack out of 1/2" pvc fittings and pipe that extends out of the perlite ..... the legs go down into the perlite. 

The trays sit on the rack and are 1 to 2" above the perlite .... so the perlite's surface area isn't covered.  The wick'd, humid air can rise unrestricted .... that was my theory anyway.

I saw a tek where micropore tape was not used .... just stab some slits in the foil with a knife and go with that.  I am colonizing some trays right now without holes or slits or micropore tape ... just foil / dust cover over the trays.  It is not air tight and has worked for me.  We want a build up of CO2 .... you'll get that ... and gas exchange .... you'll get that.  I am not having any trouble with contaminations.

If you think your moisture content was too wet ... then mix it a little drier.  You can readjust the moisture content later when you spawn to your coir.

Good luck MAN

--------------------

OfflineMagic_Hobo
Stranger
    #9054832 - 10/09/08 05:31 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

So, I've been reading a lot about spawning to coir. I saw several threads where people spawned to coir and fruited their trays without casing very sucessfully. I also saw some threads where people spawned to bulk and fruited in a monotub without casing. So, my question is, could I spawn to coir/ coffee grounds and fruit in a monotub without casing? I saw people do it sucessfully, but I don't really understand how I would keep the rH up without opening the monotub?

This is probably a dumb question, but I have been reading the boards for hours and it seems like it could work...so, could I use PF jars to spawn to coir, and then fruit in a monotub?

OfflineP.Menace
Contradicting the Status Quo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Let Me See Potato Salad!!...
Trusted Cultivator
    #9054847 - 10/09/08 05:35 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

just spring for the 3.95 bag of Jiffy mix... its a great casing

--------------------

http://www.sporeworksgallery.com/Cubensae/Psilocybe_cubensis_Menace

roby000 said: thats true a shotgun is almost like a college degree in a sense that if you show it to the right person at the right time you could make a lot of money.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds