Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Mushroom Photography Tips * 4
    #9002264 - 09/29/08 11:35 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Mushroom Photography Tips - By Koraks

http://www.koraks.nl/index.php?menuparent=&page=9

Using your digital camera's macro mode - All you need to know to get close to your mushrooms and produce extremely sharp super magnified results

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Using-your-digital-cameras-macro-mode

The Art of Myco-Macro

http://simplymanna.com/art-myco-macro

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSubbedhunter420
Solitary Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: LA/Ventura County
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: Alan Rockefeller] * 1
    #9002489 - 09/29/08 12:36 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

VERY USEFUL! If you dont know how to use your macro/dont know if you have one on your camera, you should read this!

OfflineFatBear
Stranger than fiction

Loc: Oregon
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: Subbedhunter420] * 3
    #9028876 - 10/04/08 02:27 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Some boring, some whimsical, some experimental:

http://flickr.com/photos/fatbear/sets/72157603965289143/

--FatBear

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: FatBear] * 1
    #9028915 - 10/04/08 02:37 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

But all of them nicely done :thumbup: I'm currently considering buying a compact for mushroom photography as well, as it's much easier to work close to the ground with a small camera. And image quality is pretty good with some of them, these days, especially at low ISO settings. A vital requirement would be a hot shoe connector in order to be able to use a flash unit that can be positioned separately from the camera.

OfflineFatBear
Stranger than fiction

Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: koraks] * 1
    #9028976 - 10/04/08 02:56 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks, koraks,

I should say that mine tend to focus on the "character" of the mushroom rather than on ID'ing them.

Most of those were done with a creaking old Olympus C2020z.  I really like what I could do with that camera, but the image sizes were so small that they are really only good for online. 

I used a Mamiya RZ-67 in the 1990s.  That camera produced huge images.  But it got too heavy for my bad feet to lug around with all its associated paraphenalia.  I needed something in the middle so last year I bought an Olympus E510.  I have only taken a few mushroom photos with it, but the season is upon us, so I should be getting a lot more of them soon.  Olympus makes a flash for the E510 (and others) that operates wirelessly, and I've ordered one of those, too, as I am getting tired of the deer-in-the-headlights look of on-camera flash.  The wireless feature should be helpful in brushy situations.  I guess the new flash will require more learning.  One nice thing about a simple camera like the C2020z is that there really aren't a lot of variables.  No matter what equipment you use you will have to adapt to the constraints.  That's half of the creativity of it.  The fewer variables, the easier it is to adapt.

A hint, for mushroom photographers: light is everything.  Use your flash and learn to modify it.  You can fold a piece of paper so it is self-propping and put it near a mushroom in order to reflect some of the flash into unlit areas.  Or you can deliberately shade certain areas from the flash.  On compact cameras you can use the flash to draw the mushroom from the background by setting an under-exposure and using flash at the same time.  On more controllable cameras you will have to figure out how to mix flash and background exposures so the mushroom is brighter than the background.  In PhotoShop a little bit of unobtrusive vignetting can also be helpful in cases where you didn't put enough emphasis on the mushroom.

Another hint: wear your kneepads and expect to get dirty because the best photos are usually taken with your face in the dirt.  Be a mushroom, be their peer and they will show themselves to you in a way that they rarely do to mere humans.  :-)

--FatBear

Edited by FatBear (10/04/08 04:41 PM)

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: FatBear] * 1
    #9029007 - 10/04/08 03:02 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

All very sound pieces of advice :thumbup:

MF does have its charm, although portability is an issue. I still have a 645 lying around, gathering dust due to a focus calibration problem. Besides, I never really liked the 4:3 format. I like either 1:1 or 2:3 (or even wider). Currently, I use an EOS 20d for mushroom photography, but with grip and L-lenses attached it is quite a hassle to get really close to the ground. I do carry a Velbon tripod from which I can suspend the camera upside-down, which allows me to get really low, but I keep getting muck on my head from peering down the viewfinder. So I'd really like to get myself a nice little compact that I can poise on a GorillaPod. I think I'm going to look into Canon's PowerShot and IXUS product lines to see if there's something to my liking there.

OfflineFatBear
Stranger than fiction

#9029762 - 10/04/08 07:21 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I have a Bogen (now Manfrotto) tripod with the legs that swing out really wide and that weird 3D head.  Using this with the center post upside down and the head twisted around as only this one can do, I can actually set the camera at ground level and it is still upright for easier control.  But tripods are such a hassle for low-level photography that I really encourage people to learn to use the flash so you don't need them.

Olympus made the first dSLRs with "live view", allowing you to frame and focus your image on the LCD then shoot.  In fact, this was one of the key reasons for my selecting this camera.  It's kind of clumsy, doing a lot of clicking and buzzing and taking a long time to process a shot, but it works and is very handy for really awkward angles and/or muddy places.  I'm not an equipment junky, so I don't know what's out there in 2008, but I assume the other camera manufacturers are also offering some form of live view by now.  So whatever modern lens system a person has I imagine they can find a camera with live view to work with it.

Edited by FatBear (10/04/08 07:22 PM)

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Loc: Osage Cuestas
Trusted Identifier
    #9029787 - 10/04/08 07:31 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Have you seen this?? I'm considering making it as my next camera, though I will really miss the movable LCD of other cameras in the Powershot series.

Edited by georgeM (10/04/08 07:32 PM)

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: georgeM] * 1
    #9031183 - 10/05/08 04:09 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

@FatBear: I tried shooting with flash only, but I don't really like the results in most cases. Usually, I want to stop down to somewhere in the f/8-f/32 range and balance flash light with available light to retain the 'natural' look somewhat. With the low light levels usually associated with mushroom photography, that comes down to exposure times of up to 10 seconds, so a tripod is an absolute must for my style of mushroom photography (which is not to say that it is a categorical rule; if flash only works for you, beautiful, enjoy the flexibility!)

The live view function of the Olympus has now been mimicked by at least Canon and Nikon, perhaps also by Sony; I'm not really sure about them, but I suppose they followed suit. I've come to realize over the last three years that it is a useful function, especially in this line of work. Unfortunately, as far as I know none of the dSLRs support live view and have an adjustable display, indeed (GeorgeM, I hear ya!) like e.g. the older (?) Canon PowerShot series. Nevertheless, that G10 does look interesting. My gf today voiced her preference for an Olympus Mju 1060, but although it looks like a nifty little camera, it lacks a decent wide angle (zoom range starting at 37mm in 35mm-equiv.) It is an affordable camera though, but it definitely wouldn't work for me. The G10 is rather appealing, though. Thanks for the tip, GeorgeM!

OfflineTheylikethatshit
AKA Sno0py
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #9037898 - 10/06/08 03:34 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

My macro does not always work, sometimes if the mushroom is too small it has a hard time focusing therefore I cant take a clear shot.
any help on this?

--------------------
REST IN PEACE pirateseatsouls

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: Theylikethatshit] * 2
    #9039979 - 10/06/08 11:26 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

If you set the mushroom on something with a texture like some moss, you can get it to focus on that.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: Theylikethatshit] * 2
    #9042176 - 10/07/08 12:38 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Try maximizing the contrast between the mushroom and the background, for example by shining a flashlight on the mushroom. Remember that your AF system will attempt to detect edges, so the sharper you can get the edges of the mushroom to show, the better your AF will function. This is also explicitly explained in my tutorial: http://www.koraks.nl/index.php?menuparent=&page=9#focus

If the shroom is really small compared to the image frame (e.g. it makes up < 10% of the image area), try moving closer or zooming in further. In that case, you're probably taking a pretty crappy picture anyway with lots of shit in it and very little mushroom.

Offlinesmily
lookin 4 my ass wit both handz
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Lee HO FooKs
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: koraks] * 2
    #9042263 - 10/07/08 12:54 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

get the powershot s5is it rocks great super macro a small selection of lenses.

:smile:

--------------------

CrAnKy PiLlOwS YeAh PiLlOwS

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: smily] * 1
    #9042270 - 10/07/08 12:56 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Nice camera, but too big for a compact, but lacking the image quality and versatility of a dSLR. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice device, but it's not for me :wink:

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: koraks] * 2
    #9051028 - 10/08/08 10:11 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

working the focus is an artform. Finding that right angle at the right length of focus,. to grasp what you're trying to take a photo of. especially fungus, mushrooms almost always have they're own character or personality. Always fun things to shoot. :boobs:

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Offlinegunga
Stranger
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: Alan Rockefeller] * 1
    #9214503 - 11/09/08 09:02 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I Do my best..

h t t p://picasaweb.google.com/outsidelinden/91408_shrroming#

help i identify

Offlinegunga
Stranger
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: gunga] * 1
    #9214507 - 11/09/08 09:02 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: gunga] * 1
    #9217112 - 11/10/08 09:41 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

You got some nice shots there. Please create a new topic if you want anything ID-ed. Also read the other stickies on top of this board.

OfflineRazoom
In true believer.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth habitable
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: Theylikethatshit] * 1
    #9327873 - 11/28/08 03:21 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

It is very beautiful. Theylikethatshit.  Really beautifully. :smirk: Music by radio has now played, and at once were recollected night and mountains on Altai.

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: Mushroom Photography Tips [Re: Theylikethatshit] * 1
    #9329496 - 11/28/08 09:59 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Theylikethatshit said:
My macro does not always work, sometimes if the mushroom is too small it has a hard time focusing therefore I cant take a clear shot.
any help on this?

it all depends on the glass and the camera you are working with. Every camera and every lens has its own unique focal point. You have to play around with whatever you are using get a feel for it then go from there. If you have manual focus, bring it as close as you can, then move the camera back and forth until the subject gets into focus, then youll know you minimum focal distance. :boobs:

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next >

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag