Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Just a thought
    #90178 - 08/30/99 12:06 PM (24 years, 7 months ago)

If you want, mix a little Hydrogen Peroxide into the substrate...I've HEARD it works. But I have no guarantees.

------------------
To be great, is to be misunderstood...

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelares
Re: Just a thought [Re: Sclorch]
    #90180 - 02/10/00 11:26 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I definitely see what you're suggesting. In chemistry, sometimes you have different baths for different things. For really high-temperature reaction, some people boil in oil, such as Peanut Oil. This will boil at a higher temperature than water, so doing your jars in a bath of peanut oil, maybe even mixed with water (make sure to add water before heating oil) for a steam effect would allow you to reach a higher temperature. Another idea: solder bath. Take some solder metal, melt it in something like a cast iron skillet over a torch such as one of those Burnz-o-matics, and heat your jars in that. Should allow several hundred degrees of heating.

You might be on to something here.

--------------------
"The universe does a math equation that never even ever really is anywhere in it, and if it spouts out creation, we're on the tip of its tongue, and it asks us where we stand." -- Modest Mouse

OfflineCode
addict
    #90181 - 02/11/00 08:34 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

You could use an oil to control the temp of the jars, since it will not boil off. The problem you are going to run into with anything that increases the temp of your water is that the water in you jars will boil at ~100C. If you put your jar lids on upside down, the steam will escape from the jars, and you will be left with much dryer substrate than what you started with.

Possable this could be avoided by putting the jar lids on correctly and tightening them down for a proper seal. It is unlikely you would generate enough steam pressure in the jar to burst it (not without either trying or being a complete dumbass).

With a pressure cooker the pressure inside the jars is the same as that outside, so the water in the jars does not boil off.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #90182 - 02/12/00 04:16 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Excellent thinking, but it won't make much of a difference for this reason: What is doing most of the sterilizing is the steam. Steam will always be the same temperature because it leaves the other chemicals behind. Then it is just plain water vapor, at the same temperature as it would always be. The jars themselves might get a little hotter, but the steam permeating the jars wouldn't.
right?
hey, is your nick a reference to Reagan Youth, if so they kick ass. (I still feel more like a son of Reagan than Clinton, I'm an old fart)

------------------
-From a registered Mad Scientist

"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obiwan Kenobi (also a Mad Scientist tm)

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineCrobih
rap-cord
Loc: cave
    #90183 - 02/12/00 06:57 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Code is right in his first statement about boiling watter. But if you won*t let vapour out the preasure will increase that much that it gonna explode. But your idea about the slat in water is all right. (have to find out how much water is gonna be all right, for these cirumstances). And another tihnk is so you know how much do you incease
temperature of water when adding salts.
You are talking about water in pot, right?

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#90184 - 02/12/00 01:44 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I'm afraid that for the first time I'd have to disagree with Mycofile :smile:

Steam can get up to phenomenally high temperatures, i.e. "superheated steam". Actually, that's not quite right either, since 'steam' is actually liquid water. If you can see it, it is liquid water. Clouds are liquid water droplets. Water vapor is invisible [can't see your summer breath, eh?] and can get to very high temperatures at normal pressure. At increased pressure, however, [like in a cooker] water can get above 100C, steam can get above 100C. . .I think I remember in TMC a guide to pressure cooking, something like 15 PSI in a normal kitchen pressure cooker giving an inside temperature of around 250 degrees [not sure F or C]. Anyway, pressure makes a difference in absolute temperature, but WET heat gives a penetrating heat that can sterilize the centers of hard grains, vermiculute, whatever.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#90185 - 02/12/00 01:46 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Shit, I just reread your post, Mycofile, you weren't talking about pressure cooking.
Sorry, I have to lay off the crack.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag