Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Schwarzenegger vetoes job security for medical marijuana users [CA]
    #9015668 - 10/01/08 09:02 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Bad move Arnie :nono: ...

Governor vetoes job security for medical marijuana users
October 1, 2008 - sfgate.com

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has vetoed a bill sponsored by medical marijuana advocates that would have protected most employees from being fired for testing positive for pot that they used outside the workplace with their doctor's approval.

The measure, AB 2279 by Assemblyman Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, would have overturned a state Supreme Court ruling in January that allowed employers to punish workers for using medical marijuana that was legalized by a state ballot measure in 1996. Under Leno's measure, the only workers who could have been fired for using medical marijuana would have been those in safety-related or law enforcement jobs.

In its 5-2 ruling, the Supreme Court said the initiative, Proposition 215, exempted medical marijuana patients and their caregivers from state prosecution, but wasn't intended to limit an employer's authority to fire workers for violating federal drug laws.

Schwarzenegger used the same rationale in his veto message Tuesday.

"I am concerned with interference in employment decisions as they relate to marijuana use," the governor wrote. "Employment protection was not a goal of the initiative as passed by voters in 1996."

Medical marijuana supporters disagreed.

"The intent of 215 was to treat marijuana like other legal pharmaceutical drugs," said Dale Gieringer, a coauthor of the ballot measure and California coordinator of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

Leno said he wasn't surprised by the veto in light of the state Chamber of Commerce's opposition to his bill. He said the court majority, and the governor, apparently presumed that "the voters who supported Prop. 215 in 1996 intended that only those medical marijuana patients who are unemployed could make use of (the law)."

The court ruling upheld a Sacramento County company's firing of a computer technician who tested positive for marijuana. The employee, Gary Ross, had a doctor's note to use the drug for pain caused by back spasms. He said he had never used marijuana at work or been impaired by its effects on the job.

But the court said neither Prop. 215 nor California's disability discrimination law requires employers to allow workers to use drugs banned by federal law. Congress has classified marijuana among the most dangerous drugs and does not recognize any legitimate use.

Leno's bill passed both houses on bare-majority, party-line votes. It would have prohibited employers from firing or discriminating against employees whose marijuana use has been approved by their doctors, as long as they did not take the drug at the workplace or during work hours.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinej0nnyb0y05
IBelieveInBelivin
Male

Loc: Going Going, Back Back to
Re: Schwarzenegger vetoes job security for medical marijuana users [CA] [Re: veggie]
    #9015679 - 10/01/08 09:03 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

thats a step backwards =/

--------------------
.....Healing Of People Everywhere.....

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Schwarzenegger vetoes job security for medical marijuana users [CA] [Re: veggie]
    #9015734 - 10/01/08 09:18 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I can't believe it - I almost didn't call the governator about this one.  Because I says to myself I says, "This guy loves pot!  He has openly admitted it to the media not to mention that video of him tokin' up out there on the internets."  I did end up calling his office to register my support for AB 2279, and my jaw dropped when I got wind of the outcome. 

Too bad.  :nonono:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: Schwarzenegger vetoes job security for medical marijuana users [CA] [Re: geokills]
    #9015773 - 10/01/08 09:28 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

thats beat

OfflineOphanim
The Molecule'sSpirit
Male

Re: Schwarzenegger vetoes job security for medical marijuana users [CA] *DELETED* [Re: PreparationH]
    #9016258 - 10/01/08 11:14 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by Ophanim

Reason for deletion:

OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Schwarzenegger vetoes job security for medical marijuana users [CA] [Re: Ophanim]
    #9016485 - 10/02/08 12:03 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

ya u just realized

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

#9016768 - 10/02/08 01:13 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

He has been a douche for a long time and he has vetoed multiple positive pot bills.

I am really unhappy that I voted for him and I will probably never vote for a republican again.

Offlinemonkeywrench
Why Not?

Re: Schwarzenegger vetoes job security for medical marijuana users [CA] [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9016805 - 10/02/08 01:30 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

He's gunnin for the Whitehouse.  Yes I know he wasn't born in the US, but that will hardly deter the terminators ambitions.

--------------------
[quote]skalthren said:
It's nice of you to imply that I've been brainwashed by the government, but the truth is that I'm simply intelligent enough to recognize the subtleties of these issues instead of going "durr hurr, weed should totally be legal!"[/quote]

Offlinerodfarva
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=====-----=-=-=-=-I
Male

Re: Schwarzenegger vetoes job security for medical marijuana users [CA] [Re: monkeywrench]
    #9016828 - 10/02/08 01:36 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

monkeywrench said:
He's gunnin for the Whitehouse.  Yes I know he wasn't born in the US, but that will hardly deter the terminators ambitions.

Luv the johnny chimpo <---

--------------------

Offlinebloodsheen
ChemChaplin
Male User Gallery

Re: Schwarzenegger vetoes job security for medical marijuana users [CA] [Re: rodfarva]
    #9018115 - 10/02/08 12:21 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

What is the point of medical marijuana laws in California if almost nobody is truly protected to use it? I mean, it doesnt even make logical sense to veto this bill. He doesnt want to fuck with employer's decisions? Since when does the government care about that, its a little thing called anti-discrimination laws, and it doenst just apply to blacks and Latinos. Fuck republicans

--------------------

A cautious young fellow named Lodge / Had seat belts installed in his Dodge. / When his date was strapped in / He committed a sin / Without even leaving the garage. That's clever, isn't it?-A boy and his dog

Jump to top Pages: 1