Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWoahtubulardude
Some Hippy Dude
Male

Casings/Dunk and Roll
    #9015762 - 10/01/08 09:25 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

So 7 of my cakes are almost finished colonizing, and I am in desperate search of vermiculite since I used up nearly all of mine (1/4 cup left). I can't find it, how necessarily is vermiculite in dunk/roll techniques and casing mixes? would perlite be a sufficient substitute or should I order some online and wait it out? I already have a big bag of perlite.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLibertycapper
Doctor Banner
 User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia Flag
Re: Casings/Dunk and Roll [Re: Woahtubulardude]
    #9015812 - 10/01/08 09:37 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

you could just dunk and not roll the cakes and still get great results. ive never heard of using perlite to roll and i dont think its a good idea but couldnt say exactly why. here in canada we can get vermiculite at home depot, large grocery stores, garden centres and such.

Offlineneybis
Master of the Custodial Arts

Re: Casings/Dunk and Roll [Re: Libertycapper]
    #9015828 - 10/01/08 09:40 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

i would NOT use perlite, just sounds like a disaster plus i don't think that stuff is good for you...i would order some verm or buy some from a local nursery or garden shop, maybe even check some hardware stores or hydroponic shops. If you can't get any soon i would just dunk and not roll

--------------------
"Why is there so much controversy about drug testing? I know plenty of guys who would be willing to test any drug they could come up with."

OfflineWoahtubulardude
Some Hippy Dude
Male

Re: Casings/Dunk and Roll [Re: neybis]
    #9017206 - 10/02/08 07:04 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Alright, and what about the casing substrate? Don't you need a layer of verm before the cakes, then the soil?

Also, if I dunked the cakes and then fruited them is it still ok to put them in an FC with a bottom layer of perlite?

Offlinephaseflux
Stranger than most

Re: Casings/Dunk and Roll [Re: neybis]
    #9017258 - 10/02/08 07:34 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

neybis said:
i would NOT use perlite, just sounds like a disaster plus i don't think that stuff is good for you...i would order some verm or buy some from a local nursery or garden shop, maybe even check some hardware stores or hydroponic shops. If you can't get any soon i would just dunk and not roll

Nothing is dangerous about perlite as long as you don't breathe in the dust. It's just rocks, same is true for vermiculite. 

Anyways yeah don't roll your cakes in perlite, you want the vermiculite to hold moisture, but if you don't have vermiculite, you don't have to roll the cakes, they can still do fine without.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order