Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleveggieM

Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition [UK]
    #9015870 - 10/01/08 09:49 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition
October 2, 2008 - guardian.co.uk

A report on cannabis prepared for next year's UN drug policy review will suggest that a "regulated market" would cause less harm than the current international prohibition. The report, which is likely to reopen the debate about cannabis laws, suggests that controls such as taxation, minimum age requirements and labelling could be explored.

The Global Cannabis Commission report, which will be launched today at a conference in the House of Lords, has reached conclusions which its authors suggest "challenge the received wisdom concerning cannabis". It was carried out for the Beckley foundation, a UN-accredited NGO, for the 2009 UN strategic drug policy review.

There are, according to the report, now more than 160 million users of the drug worldwide. "Although cannabis can have a negative impact on health, including mental health, in terms of relative harms it is considerably less harmful than alcohol or tobacco," according to the report. "Historically, there have only been two deaths worldwide attributed to cannabis, whereas alcohol and tobacco together are responsible for an estimated 150,000 deaths per annum in the UK alone."

The report, compiled by a group of scientists, academics and drug policy experts, suggests that much of the harm associated with cannabis use is "the result of prohibition itself, particularly the social harms arising from arrest and imprisonment." Policies that control cannabis, whether draconian or liberal, appear to have little impact on the prevalence of consumption, it concluded.

"In an alternative system of regulated availability, market controls such as taxation, minimum age requirements, labelling and potency limits are available to minimise the harms associated with cannabis use," said the report.

It claimed that only through a regulated market could young people be protected from the increasingly potent forms of cannabis, such as skunk. It is intended that the report will form a blueprint for nations seeking to develop a "more rational and effective approach to the control of cannabis".

The authors suggest there is evidence that "the current system of cannabis regulation is not working, and ... there needs to be a serious rethink if we are to minimise the harms caused by cannabis use."

Last night, the report was welcomed by drug law reform organisations. "The Beckley foundation are to be congratulated for the clarity of their call for cannabis supply to be brought within government control," said Danny Kushlick of Transform. "We look forward to the same analysis being applied to heroin and cocaine."

The report is being launched at a two-day conference, which will be attended by leading figures in the drugs policy world.

The conclusions are unlikely to be embraced by the government or the Conservative party, both of which are opposed to relaxing restrictions on cannabis use.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
Re: Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition [Re: veggie]
    #9015971 - 10/01/08 10:11 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Very interesting :thumbup:

Invisible0kehSt0nr
Bakery Fresh
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: smb://slakcr
Re: Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition [Re: veggie]
    #9016146 - 10/01/08 10:48 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

:borat:

--------------------

OfflineAsAboveSoBelow
The matrix has you

Re: Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition [Re: 0kehSt0nr]
    #9016184 - 10/01/08 10:58 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

potency limits = :thumbdown:

and you  know that'd be implemented for sure

--------------------

You're gonna get hurt real bad :smile:

They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind

Edited by AsAboveSoBelow (10/01/08 10:58 PM)

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition [Re: AsAboveSoBelow]
    #9016245 - 10/01/08 11:12 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

AsAboveSoBelow said:
potency limits = :thumbdown:

and you  know that'd be implemented for sure

You think it will be illegal to grow your self?  You can make your own beer/liqour.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

OfflineOphanim
The Molecule'sSpirit
Male

Re: Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition *DELETED* [Re: AsAboveSoBelow]
    #9016263 - 10/01/08 11:15 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by Ophanim

Reason for deletion:

Offlinedoja42
Stoney Baby
Female User Gallery

Loc: Kennesaw, Ga
Re: Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition [Re: Ophanim]
    #9016286 - 10/01/08 11:20 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

At least its a step in the right direction, I guess since its low potency we will just have to smoke more :rasta:

OfflineAsAboveSoBelow
The matrix has you

Re: Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #9016318 - 10/01/08 11:27 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I'd like to know what level of potency they had in mind

If its a drastic limit in potency then your still gonna have the black market.. fuck, can't they just make both and put a disclaimer on the packages? jeez..

Oh well, this most likely won't pass anyway.

--------------------

You're gonna get hurt real bad :smile:

They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition [Re: Ophanim]
    #9016325 - 10/01/08 11:28 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ophanim said:
Yeah, potency limits makes no sense, but I guess I'll take any first step I can get.

:werd:

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

Offlinehockeyplyr1057
Music Lover
Male

Re: Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #9016465 - 10/01/08 11:57 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

every step, not matter how minute, is progress

i shall live to see the day weed is legalized

--------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. -Gandalf

Offlinebloodbrother778
Super Chimpanzee

Re: Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition [Re: hockeyplyr1057]
    #9016833 - 10/02/08 01:39 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Holy crap, did they just suddenly grow a brain over in england?  Didn't think I'd ever hear rationality about drug laws.  Glad I'll have the option of moving there in the future.

Invisibleroquet
Expat tippler
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dubai بجدية عربي...
    #9017025 - 10/02/08 04:40 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ophanim said:
Yeah, potency limits makes no sense, but I guess I'll take any first step I can get.

Why does it make no sense? There's pretty much a potency limit for alcohol at 40% and I hardly ever drink spirits. I'm quite happy with my 8x less potent beer.

Edited by roquet (10/02/08 04:46 AM)

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the space between reality...
    #9017097 - 10/02/08 05:39 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Potency regulation would be one of the key vote winning arguments... Tabloids are always ranting on about how strong 'super skunk' is ravaging our land... If was controlled by the government then it would be possible to introduce limits to the potency and it would be like the weed 'back in the day' (like they always say).

--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

OfflineCompletely Lost
Stranger

Re: Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition [Re: roquet]
    #9017101 - 10/02/08 05:41 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Am I dreaming atm..

I'd never see the day the UN got involved :grin: :grin:

OfflineDeekay
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition [Re: Completely Lost]
    #9017268 - 10/02/08 07:40 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Completely Lost said:
Am I dreaming atm..

I'd never see the day the UN got involved :grin: :grin:

they don't have much power all in all

--------------------
Check out my gallery :sun:

Do YOU have The Band's sheet music books? I am paying cash!

Offlineclover606
Stranger
Male
Re: Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition [Re: Deekay]
    #9017271 - 10/02/08 07:44 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

potency limits are impossible to test accurately and on a markey wide scale, its not like the proof of liquor, so unless they set it at something insane like 3% or something, i dont think that would work. also the fact that skunk does not make you go insane should come into play.

--------------------
grassman said:

I remember being in DARE when i was much younger and some of the stories they would tell you are not only ridiculous, but completely untrue. One story was that a woman was on LSD and thought her infant was a turkey so she baked it in the oven. Now I look back and think thats hilarious, but at the time I guess it scared me.

OfflineJohnnyTruant
The Polycannon
Male User Gallery

Loc: The great state of Mind
Re: Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition [Re: AsAboveSoBelow]
    #9017553 - 10/02/08 09:39 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The potency limit is pretty much irrelevant. If it's too low you can just grow your own. Whether or not they make that illegal doesn't matter much. They can't do anything if they just catch you smoking it since it will be legal, and they're not going to go around testing everyone's weed for potency. Unless they randomly decide to search your property for marijuana plants you'll be fine.

OfflineIdeLOLogies
Strange

Re: Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition [Re: JohnnyTruant]
    #9017599 - 10/02/08 09:56 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, just wow.

Really can't say i expected this, what with there seeming to be a new anti-marijuana article in the newspapers almost everyday.

I wouldn't worry too much about potency limit, i'm sure it wont be anything too ridiculous.

But congratulations to the people who've been battling away, this certainly is a step in the right direction for sensible effective drug laws.

--------------------
God takes those closest to us, because it makes him feel better about himself. He is a very vengeful God. He's all pissed off about something we did thousands of years ago. He just can't get over it, so he doesn't care who he takes. Children, puppies, it don't matter to him, so long as it makes us sad.

Why does God give us anything?

Look at it this way: if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away. If you never give it a lollipop to begin with, it would have nothin' to cry about. That's like God, who gives us life and love and help just so that he can tear it all away and make us cry, so he can drink the sweet milk of our tears. You see, it's our tears, Stan, that give God his great power.

Offlineretox
Stranger

Loc: VIC, Australia Flag
Re: Report urges regulated market for cannabis to replace prohibition [Re: IdeLOLogies]
    #9017794 - 10/02/08 10:57 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think anyone should get their hopes up over this, its only a report, the government would never implement the suggestions in a million years, especially the Conservatives who are almost guarenteed to be in power next, they need to show that they are 'tough on drugs' and don't want to 'send out the wrong message' remember!

OfflinePsilocybinMike
T.F.Y.Q.A
Male User Gallery

#9018015 - 10/02/08 11:51 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

It won't matter. All you need is for to be "legal" so all the noobs can go buy their taxed, potency regulated, government weed.

Do you think people are just going to stop growing chronic on their own? If anything, that will just serve as greater cover for those operations to continue.

--------------------

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVZBTAYm3rw

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck