Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Shaggy day
    #9011748 - 10/01/08 01:58 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Sunday I took a break from unpacking, sorting, identifying and went on a Graveyard foray tour.  I found two edible mushrooms that have Shaggy in their common name, Shaggy Mane, Coprinus comatus, and the Shaggy Parasol, Macrolepiota rachodes (or Chlorophyllum rhacodes for the DNA phylogeny-inclined).  For the record, I like my science like I like my scotch, straight, no dilution with history.  :smirk:

Shaggy Parasol:

Shaggy Mane:

I ate the Shaggy Mane sauteed with butter and a little garlic.  Num.  The parasol was too old to eat.  :frown:

Glad to be back.  I missed you guys.  :grin:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleQuantumReality
Mycopath 🗡
 User Gallery

Loc: BoobyTraps
Re: Shaggy day [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #9011887 - 10/01/08 02:40 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

ooh graveyard shrooms, thats badass :grin:
haha nice finds mate, happy eating

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Shaggy day [Re: QuantumReality]
    #9011914 - 10/01/08 02:51 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks Dizz.  It's great to see you post.  If I get the chance I'll do a thread on the Long Island mushrooms.  I found some pretty cool stuff including my first sporeless mushroom.

--------------------

InvisibleQuantumReality
Mycopath 🗡
 User Gallery

Loc: BoobyTraps
    #9011950 - 10/01/08 03:06 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

ya good to see you posting too senor, were you on a hunting trip or something?
that sounds sweet, please do put up a thread :smile:

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Shaggy day [Re: QuantumReality]
    #9012008 - 10/01/08 03:38 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks, Dizz.

Weeeeell, it was supposed to be a camping trip away from mushrooms.  Then, when I was setting up the tent I found a Russula and the rest, as they say, is history.  I think the thread should be pretty entertaining with all the different things that happened.

I found some Ceps and Lobsters mushrooms too.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#9012137 - 10/01/08 06:11 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Nice pics. Rather symbolic eating mushrooms growing from the dead (I suppose all saprotrophic mushrooms do though).

Quote:

Weeeeell, it was supposed to be a camping trip away from mushrooms.

:lol:

Like that would ever happen!:lol:

InvisibleHoneyComber
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Shaggy day [Re: wisp]
    #9012151 - 10/01/08 06:21 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

thats a shaggydelic find my friend:thumbup:
i was thinking of hitting up some graveyards myself...guess its not a bad idea after all:grin:

--------------------
"we're all mad here"

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Shaggy day [Re: HoneyComber]
    #9012384 - 10/01/08 08:23 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I somehow 'dig' graveyards. We have lunch every year on the one my mother and brother have been put to rest. It does sometimes result in some strange looks now and then from the more block headed members of the local community, but everyone has his own way of dealing with the subject and honoring his beloved that have passed away, right? Anyway, I've never actually collected any edibles from a graveyard, but I supposed I wouldn't pass on the opportunity if it occurred :wink:

Excellent finds, these mushrooms my friend, great going! Glad to hear the shaggy mane tasted good; I've never gotten to like them, but they sure are a pretty species nonetheless :thumbup:

Quote:

For the record, I like my science like I like my scotch, straight, no dilution with history.

:omgawesome:

OfflineLuckOfTheFryish
Hi! I'm Fry!
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW Canada Flag
Re: Shaggy day [Re: koraks]
    #9012434 - 10/01/08 08:41 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

nice finds. too bad the parisol was old. they actually made me sick tho. but anyway its good to see you again senor

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Shaggy day [Re: LuckOfTheFryish]
    #9012681 - 10/01/08 10:16 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks Trip.  Yeah, trying to stay away from the mushrooms seems unlikely.  I don't know what I was thinking.  :grin:

HoneyComber, yeah, I don't normally do graveyards in the daytime, too many spectators.  My hooded robe gets me odd looks and I can't use my candle.  Shaggydelic, cool word. :lol:

Koraks-yes, I've been visiting graves as long as I can remember.  It's peaceful and usually beautiful scenery.  The graveyard where my family is laid to rest has tons of mushrooms, many mycorrhizal species and lots of others.

Here's a cool photo I took last year in a very secluded setting.

I loved your photo instruction website.  Awesome!  :thumbup:

ps  I noticed you were the only one to comment on my dissertation on phylogeny. :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Shaggy day [Re: LuckOfTheFryish]
    #9012728 - 10/01/08 10:31 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, I almost forgot!  :lol:

Thanks Luck, it's great to be back.  :smile:

I've never eaten a Parasol.  It's one mushroom I look forward to tasting.

--------------------

Invisiblecactu
culture and magic
Male

Loc: mexicoelcentrodelconocimi...
Trusted Identifier
    #9012738 - 10/01/08 10:35 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

men  now i wanna try some mica caps, so bad..:grin:

is crazy  how in a few year all  phylogeny will be entirely diferent.  and some genus that now are close related and gonna be far separated, terrific, and shoking, but true .... but after all is the true that will make us free.....:sun:

--------------------

cuando una rafaga del pensamiento nos pasa  al lado se puede sentir  que valio  la pena  haber vivido, y cuando ese pensamiento se  convierte en sueño no paramos de soñar hasta realizarlo

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Shaggy day [Re: cactu]
    #9012763 - 10/01/08 10:41 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

:lol:

cactu, you really should try them!  They are delicioso!

Yes, well some of us are more into science than history.  According to some literature man is more related to the Sea Cucumber than other mammals.  That isn't truth, it's lunacy.  History majors-pffft.

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #9013728 - 10/01/08 02:43 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, is that the graveyard where members of your family are buried? I just wish we had places like those around here, that's just such a beautiful place! I like the mental image of you in your hooded clothes and the candle stalking the place. I'm pretty sure my mother would have gotten a good laugh out of the impression that would leave with any other visitors :laugh:

Yes, that phylogeny stuff is weird sometimes. The switches that are made in the taxonomy of mushroom species are usually not that far-fetched from the viewpoint of a laymen like me, although I sometimes really have to struggle to keep up with developments. Is there a particular (comprehensive) source that I could refer to for the current 'accepted' state of affairs?

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Shaggy day [Re: koraks]
    #9014351 - 10/01/08 04:45 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

None that I know of other than Kuo's site.  He seems to be far more about phylogeny than mycophagy, poor man.

No, that graveyard is just an out-of-the-way place I like to visit when I want to be alone.  Funny, it never seems to have any visitors other than me.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies