Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinezoomzenko
Stranger

Salvia Leaves Curling and Turning Hard!
    #9005125 - 09/29/08 08:59 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Hey all, Ive scoured the forum and seen posts similar to this, but none had pictures that looked like mine.  I received a Salvia cutting about a month ago and now it is infested with gnats.  I dont know if they contribute, but Im still trying to find some diatomaceous earth.  ANYWAYS, the leaves are curling, and getting veryyyy brittle; hard and crunchy, like romaine lettuce.  Light is a bank of 4 fourty watt CFLs on a half chimney pipe reflector that I made, about a foot from the plant.  Temp is about 26 degrees, but I cant get it any lower than that.  The old leaves went really brown and nasty, so I pulled them off.  Soil is grocery store potting soil with lots of perlite for drainage (however I did just move it from a much smaller pot in which it just had the grocery store potting soil).  I moved it three days ago because its growth seemed stalled.  Its growth still hasnt changed.  It is still very bright green except the stems ridges have gone brown.  I mist a few times a day.  Any suggestions?  PLEASE help, I cant afford to replace it.  Damn cutting cost me 50 bucks (Canada doesnt have much for options... Atleast that I could find).  PLEASE HELP!!1!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineislander20
Shulginite

Re: Salvia Leaves Curling and Turning Hard! [Re: zoomzenko]
    #9005942 - 09/29/08 11:30 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Try craigslist, ive gotten plants for 10 bucks. Mine does the same thing your describing but it keeps on growing fine.

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: Salvia Leaves Curling and Turning Hard! [Re: islander20]
    #9007078 - 09/30/08 07:56 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

experiment, change one thing at a time and see if it's condition improves.

i'd start by moving it further away from the lights.
4 cfl's seems like overkill for a plant that needs so little light.
then try raising the humidity.
and really you should try to find a way to lower the temp a bit, 26c is ok but a little cooler would be better.

--------------------
View My Gallery

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
Re: Salvia Leaves Curling and Turning Hard! [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #9008200 - 09/30/08 01:08 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Your plants have fallen victim to high temps and possibly too much light.

I have several outdoor Salvias whos leaves are in stark contrast to my indoor plants.
The ones outside where the temp. is hotter and the light brighter, have that very dense, crisp, lettuce like foliage that are serrated at the edges. The indoor and shade plants have very thin, smooth edged leaves.

I would definitely suggest moving the light further from the plants, or try using a couple of fluoros instead. Your setup would work well with other grows, but for Divinorum, its overkill.

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
Re: Salvia Leaves Curling and Turning Hard! [Re: satyr]
    #9008239 - 09/30/08 01:16 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Happy, indoor sally

sad, outdoor, too much heat
same

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Offlinezoomzenko
Stranger

Re: Salvia Leaves Curling and Turning Hard! [Re: satyr]
    #9009868 - 09/30/08 06:31 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Cool, thanks.  I'll give 'er a try.  She seems to be doing alright now... just curly bunched.  Our house is just warm.  We keep the heat turned off, but it still gets HOT.  Can't afford an air conditioner, and theres already a fan on the salvia.  Any suggestions for dropping the heat?

Offlineblazed123
Bing

#9010003 - 09/30/08 07:00 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The gnats are usually in the soil.  Most bagged soil i've gotten has them.  I've seen them in perlite too. 

That brittle curling can be caused by too much sun or lack of humidity.  You need a proper BALANCE of humidity and heat.  26 degrees c would be about 78 degrees F.  That's perfect for salvia if the other conditions match. 

Try moving your plants out of the direct glare of your lights and increase the humidity. Stop misting and use a humidity tent or make a terrarium.  Misting can actually cause the plant to dry out more if your outside environment is dry.  It's like putting rubbing alcohol on your skin. 

Lastly, keep in mind that changes for the better often take a lot longer than changes for the worse.  Adjust and be patient.

Offlinezoomzenko
Stranger

Re: Salvia Leaves Curling and Turning Hard! [Re: blazed123]
    #9010582 - 09/30/08 08:57 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Are the gnats a hazard to the plant?  One of the little wormy larvae buggers ate into one of my peyote which I was PISSED about, but are they harmful to Salvia?

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
    #9010913 - 09/30/08 10:03 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

they eat the roots, so yes.

--------------------
View My Gallery

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies