Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

PyroBurns' culinary findings.
    #9010561 - 09/30/08 08:54 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

From now on I'll post all my whacky tastings, findings, recipes, and food foolery in here because they end up kind of scattered and I think it'll help me keep track of things.

To start off: Annie's Natural Organic ketchup is mega awesome. Way worth the higher price. I can't eat most regular ketchups due to allergies (malt vinegar and corn syrup can go suck a dick) so I needed something that I could be sure of. This definitely fits the bill and is better than the mainstream ketchups I remember. Annie's has a hint of a more savory and richer flavor, yet retains the ketchup-y taste and sweetness. It's better than most because mainstream ketchups are often highly sweetened and taste kind of funky.

Also I picked up some veganaise which I can already tell was a great purchase. Honestly, the flavor isn't perfect mayo and kind of lacks the egginess for a little bit of a soy kick. Though it gets the job done and will most definitely be versatile. For example, mix it with some ginger and miso and you have a nice dipping sauce!

--------------------
Remember to cut your nails regularly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: PyroBurns' culinary findings. [Re: PyroBurns]
    #9016283 - 10/01/08 11:19 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Today me an Jazz got really stoned and shopped at Uwajiyama (which is a dangerous task. Munchies + curiosity is a good way to empty your wallet. Though we faired well enough.... this time).

We picked up durian ice cream (coconut ice cream) which looked something like this kind of:

At first we were a bit apprehensive because while mild, it still stank pretty bad. I took the first bite.... and it was actually kind of good. Not bad, not great. Even a little gross with a hint of rot. But the coconut and sugar smoothed it out to a bit of a tropical melon-y flavor. A few minutes later, it started to taste really shitty. Either because it was warming up a little bit and the horrific flavors of ginger found at the bottom of a dumpster started to escape from the ice, or because I was starting to remember the massive stench from the first durian trying attempt during an acid trip. Things went sour and it was lost in the mud before any tasting. Then stank like bad chinese food deep fried in rotting sweat as I carried it for three hours looking for a trash can.

Even though it started tasting gross, I still swallowed a few more spoonfuls due to the munchies!

I convinced Jazz to pick up some natto; hopefully he tries it soon. I also have some mangosteen juice I might try later. Natto:

Then I went to Whole Foods and had the cafe section in the back blend up fresh, in season, local, organic strawberries, vanilla purely decadent coconut ice cream, and vanilla Pacific soy (can probably use almond or rice).

It was heaven. TOTALLY DECLICIOUS. Thick, full of flavor, smooth, refreshing, and totally convincing. The thick viscosity of a decent milkshake has been the most missed thing since I've gone on my gluten-free/dairy free/corn free/peanut free quest. Well, no more.

The texture is a little more old style IMO. More "real" with a little thicker parts and a little thinner part where it's melted down a little more. Unlike fast food shakes which are usually (strangely) homogenous all the way through.

I really really loved it and sat their drinking it completely obliterated out of my mind. The only other times I've kind of gone to a different realm while eating where WAAAAY back when Chipotle was first opening (2003?) having a burrito their prepared by someone with actual training and fresher ingredients. My vision went blurry when I was eating and rather than trying to get a grip on reality I let myself get lost in the seemingly heavenly lighting and devour on the highly uneccessarily enormous burrito. It happened again when first trying this, which has kind of lost it's charm since the first tasting but still is pretty damn good:

Out of the 3, the strawberry milkshake was probably the best because it's like being told a really cool friend you had died but then having him come back later and smoking you out.

I've used soy ice cream in the past and the texture wasn't correct and the frostiness didn't hold at all.

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: PyroBurns' culinary findings. *DELETED* [Re: PyroBurns]
    #9016292 - 10/01/08 11:21 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by PyroBurns

Reason for deletion: repost

--------------------

Edited by PyroBurns (10/01/08 11:29 PM)

Invisiblemuistrue
Inspired by the mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: Behind the Redwoods
    #9016546 - 10/02/08 12:17 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Saw the thread in the pub, so I thought I would check this out. Annie's ketchup, and veganaise are incredible.:thumbup:

You need to try Annie's Goddess salad dressing, and Tofutti better than sour cream. Trust me.:yesnod:

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: PyroBurns' culinary findings. [Re: muistrue]
    #9016574 - 10/02/08 12:23 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Goddess has wheat sadly and I'm afraid to try fake sour creams ever again after having immense bloating, d, then c after having some Toby's I think it was.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #9017464 - 10/02/08 09:05 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Annie's Goddess Dressing ingredients:

Expeller pressed canola oil, water, tahini, cider vinegar, soy sauce, lemon juice, sea salt, garlic, toasted sesame seeds, parsley, chives, xanthan gum.

Where is the wheat?  Do you mean the trace amount in the soy sauce? :confused:

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: PyroBurns' culinary findings. [Re: Veritas]
    #9017577 - 10/02/08 09:50 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yep. I'm not one of those who believes small amounts of wheat won't bother me. Either I'm downing a dozen doughnuts of 0ppm which IMO is the correct way. Eating trace amounts hinders recovery and initiates the same immune deficiency symptoms. Which is bullshit because it makes eating a massive nuisance.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #9017655 - 10/02/08 10:17 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

If your main concern is immune function, it would be a good idea to eliminate sugars as well.

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: PyroBurns' culinary findings. [Re: Veritas]
    #9017762 - 10/02/08 10:50 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I rarely have sugars. This was an occasion.

--------------------

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal Flag
    #9017776 - 10/02/08 10:53 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Your posts make me want to hop a bus to the city and hit up the foreign market.  Weird foods, including the fried bugs and shit just look so delicious, especially on TV!  :drooling:

I want to go to Thailand with Andrew Zimmern :lol:

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: PyroBurns' culinary findings. [Re: Newbie]
    #9017866 - 10/02/08 11:15 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Me too. Bizarre Foods is more like a show that exposes various hidden gems rather than the Fear Factor kind of thing it started off as.

I could definitely go for some cooked scorpion on a stick right now.

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#9021909 - 10/03/08 01:36 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Breakthrough health snack: Cinnamon chocolate coconut tacos

High in fat and sats, but they aren't so bad. Just put down the fork after awhile, you know?

The young coconut I just cut open had THICK strands of meat that I was able to keep together and scoop out in large strips. So I took a large strip and made a taco by folding it and putting chocolate chips in between it.  w/ cinnamon

Mmmmm. Would have been far better if I melted the chocolate, but I was too busy.

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#9029030 - 10/04/08 03:08 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Nutiva possibly has the best hemp seeds. The last time I tried shelled hemp was from Living Harvest and I ended up not really liking it.

But today and tomorrow I'm going to be living off of heaps of hempseed (hempseed only!) to see if it helps my digestion by going raw vegan for a little. Hopefully my stomach will recover by monday. Anyway these hemp seeds are delicious and even have a hint of weed taste to them which rocks.

Here's what their packaging usually looks like:

--------------------

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #9030873 - 10/05/08 01:07 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

For the stomach, try laying off the soy foods...

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: PyroBurns' culinary findings. [Re: Brainiac]
    #9039870 - 10/06/08 11:01 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Had the most delicious chocolate ever, and the most expensive. For $2.50 all I got was a very very tiny square. Inside is a set of instructions on how to taste chocolate properly. It sounded stupid and kind of pretentious but I tried it anyway and it was absolutely amazing.

If I didn't give the chocolate time to sink in, it probably wouldn't have been near as good. The flavor was the ceylon chipotle and it was great. Definitely 5 star restaurant material. Or maybe something they'd leave on your pillow at a $5,000 a night suite hotel.

http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#9043663 - 10/07/08 05:21 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

^ FANTASTIC!!

--------------------

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #9043757 - 10/07/08 05:37 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

is that ice cream by turtle mountain?

kroger was advertising it as on sell, but i couldn't find it in the store yesterday

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: PyroBurns' culinary findings. [Re: demiu5]
    #9043787 - 10/07/08 05:42 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Yep. Go to the website and get some coupons too. They give them if you take their survey. Sale + Coupons = rad

--------------------

InvisibleWoodsCall
own it
 User Gallery

Loc: eye of the beerholder
    #9048730 - 10/08/08 04:28 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

PyroBurns said:
Had the most delicious chocolate ever, and the most expensive. For $2.50 all I got was a very very tiny square. Inside is a set of instructions on how to taste chocolate properly. It sounded stupid and kind of pretentious but I tried it anyway and it was absolutely amazing.

If I didn't give the chocolate time to sink in, it probably wouldn't have been near as good. The flavor was the ceylon chipotle and it was great. Definitely 5 star restaurant material. Or maybe something they'd leave on your pillow at a $5,000 a night suite hotel.

http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/

That specific chocalate bar is no joke.  I spent a lot of money on those when I worked at the health food store.  I tried the wasabi bar, too, but the cinnamon chipotle had it beat by far.

Those Kind bars are tasty, too.

Keep this thread going!

--------------------
Live free or die.

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: PyroBurns' culinary findings. [Re: WoodsCall]
    #9104604 - 10/20/08 02:58 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Sweet cassava cake is fucking delicious! Oh my god!!

Mung bean tapioca dessert is not so delicious.

Aloe vera drink is okay:

--------------------

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

#9108587 - 10/21/08 06:19 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

mmmmmmmm casava cake...nummy

my aunt makes the best, straight up the filipino casava cake is the most tasty out of them all :laugh:

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal Flag
    #9112720 - 10/21/08 09:43 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Does anyone in Philly know if they have a market that sells the oddball stuff Zimmern munches on in prepared or easily preparable form?  I can't take just watching it on TV, I need to eat it.  If not could you recommend an online site that can ship it before spoiling point?

Invisiblepolantis
Prototype v7.3 Alpha
Male User Gallery

Loc: Austraalis Flag
Re: PyroBurns' culinary findings. [Re: Newbie]
    #9140477 - 10/27/08 03:19 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

You've inspired me Pyro_burns, there's a drink at my local asian supermarket which I've been considering trying for months...I'm going to try it tomorrow...

"Birds nest soup" drink .....yeh hmmmm, I'll let you know how it goes lol

--------------------
We do not know what we want and yet we are responsible for what we are - that is the fact.
Jean-Paul Sartre

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: PyroBurns' culinary findings. [Re: polantis]
    #9151439 - 10/28/08 10:33 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I used to hate brown rice. That's when I was getting cheap shit instant stuff from places similar to Wal-Mart. But the premium shit, is indeed the shit. Now it's a staple in my diet:

Maesri is a great brand for making instant curries. All you do is open a $.75 can and dump it in with meats/veggies and some coconut milk. It's still good if you don't even follow the directions (I.E. throw a can in with your rice as it's simmering, or rub it on meat and throw it on the grill). Great way to make delicious food with very little hassle.

http://www.maesribrand.com/Products.htm

Sweet Potatoes are best cooked at 400 for about an hour wrapped in foil. BUT!!! My finding is that if you leave them in the oven for as long as you feel like after turning the oven they turn out great. Instead of burning, drying out, or doing other nasty shit that they do from over cooking, they slowly soften and baste in their juices at a slowly lowering temperature. Very good stuff.

My new favorite meat staple is deboned and deskinned chicken thighs. Either butterflied and panfried in a very small bit of oil, or baked for 400 at ~40 degress. Panfrying with just a bit of salt and pepper is awesome because all the fat releases into the pan making it kind of like deep fried chicken. It's very tender with a crispy outside if you just do it right. And since it's dark meat, it turns out sweet as honey.

Hmm... what else have I found in the last week or so.... Oh yeah, don't try to pan fry chicken livers with a touch of coconut water. It isn't good.

I'll reemphasize the cassava cake too. Seriously, it's one of my favorite treats. You do not know what you are missing until you try it.

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#9219006 - 11/10/08 04:22 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Bahn Da Lon (tapioca dessert) is gross. Tried it twice and it sucked both times.

Taro ice cream fucking rocks. I get the kind made with coconut so it has a mild coconut flavor. Think of a light pecan/walnutty taste with a hint of blueberries:

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#9504566 - 12/27/08 10:13 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Got some goat. Will let you know how it is.

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#9787180 - 02/12/09 08:06 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Since then I've had:

Shirataki noodles. Too greasy and hurt the hell out of my stomach.

Dandelion greens. Bitter as fuck and I was forced to eat a half pound of it.

Octopus Tentacles. Delicious and I'm addicted.

Raw Squid. Tastes like ... won't get into it. Made me sick too.

NEW Endangered Species Dark Chocolate Espresso. Twice as bland and twice as rich. Very gross and PISSES ME OFF!!!

Kumquats. Very bitter and shitty as all hell.

--------------------

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #9787215 - 02/12/09 08:12 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Kumquats are better cooked with alot of sugar..

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale